• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Speculation/Discussion Thread

Which starter would you use?

• Chespin

Votes: 845 26.8%
  • Fennekin

Votes: 1,329 42.2%
  • Froakie

Votes: 849 27.0%
  • NONE, Dunsparce looks better

Votes: 127 4.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

XXD17

Draco rex
And I'm sure a 2nd Mewtwo forme wouldn't be neglected like this, while the other Mewtwo gets all the glory. All other Pokemon with more then one forme have shown of all of them at roughly the same time, sans Deoxys' Speed Forme, which was probably added to give Emerald it's own unique Deoxys, and even then we get a special with Speed Forme included

That's what the "scoop of the century" next month could be...see, in the movie, they introduced one mewtwo forme and sylveon to build hype...they could then release THE OTHER TWO! Shocker! Little did you know the two hyped up movie pokemon had a counterpart in the new XY games! Or something like that...they could reveal the other mewtwo forme along with a new eeveelution (hopefully dragon) and tell us how to get them and their typing...

As for starter evos, I don't see them revealing them until the very last minute...but I'm expecting a tough-looking reptilian porcupine/ armadillo/ hedgehog for chespin, a graceful fire fox adorned with fire flowers for fennekin, and a muscular looking surfer frog for froakie...physical, special, mixed...in that order

Last edited:

Nyarlathotep

Eldritch Abomination
:/

But then again, Foxes are seen as spirits, so don't rule it out 100% ;)

Sure, but I don't recall fennec foxes being considered spirits :p Still, you are right, there is a possibility of Fennekin evolving into Fire/Ghost, specially if Game Freak decides to make its evolution another freaking Kitsune (seriously, we have two families based on this thing already -_-).

Dragrath

Dragon Onslaught
for me I don't like starters repeating a typing thats already been done as a starter(If I had my way it would be 16 generations before anything repeated aka all non starter type combos) Thus I get sad every time a typing repeats as I count mono types as just repeating a type twice I for instance dislike Meganium, Sceptile, and Serperior all being pure grass types nearly as much as I dislike The Fire/Fighting repetition. (In my strange personal view only the 1st starter w/ a given typing deserves it)
Thus I hope to see unrepeated combos

MidnightFennekin

Unwashed skank

Sure, but I don't recall fennec foxes being considered spirits :p Still, you are right, there is a possibility of Fennekin evolving into Fire/Ghost, specially if Game Freak decides to make its evolution another freaking Kitsune (seriously, we have two families based on this thing already -_-).

Meh. But I swear, another Kitsune will make me go _______. -_-

Though I wouldn't mind Fire/Psychic, I prefer Fire/Ground. Both are good/great offensive types.

As long as Fennekin isn't fat, I'm not really bothered though.

Chassidy

This is the first time the fire starter is going to be my favorite and I'm definitely using it when I'm not so broke and can finally get a 3DS. It would be great if it evolved into a ghost type.

sutasafaia

I'm really torn on which starter to take now. Ever since Gen I I've always taken the water starter, mostly because in Gen I it took forever to actually get a pokemon with the water type and it's such a useful type to have. It isn't nearly as bad in later generations but the habit has always stuck with me, and I tend to like the water starters anyway so it's win/win.

But now we have a fox. I love foxes! But it's not the water starter. I should not be this torn over a video game...

DCFan

The Flame Jacobite
If Fennekin is either Fire/Ground or Fire/Psychic..i will be so very happy..especially Fire/Ground..we need more Fire/Ground Pokemon..

Yveltal96

A little more human
If Fennekin is either Fire/Ground or Fire/Psychic..i will be so very happy..especially Fire/Ground..we need more Fire/Ground Pokemon..

Well we aren't exactly abundant on Fire/Psychic types either, don't get me wrong, a Fire/Ground would be good, but I don't think just because Fennec Foxes come from the desert means it will be ground type. Otherwise Hippodown and Stunfisk would be water type.

AceOfSpadez

I Am The Law

I can't imagine a fox using Earthquake though. :p

CrusherTheFeraligatr

Strider: Spider King
:/

But then again, Foxes are seen as spirits, so don't rule it out 100% ;)

Give Fennekin Thunderbolt GF, and you can have my money.

Thundebolt? Bit op, don'tcha think?

I could sorta see ghost for fennekin. As for the fairy type, as described a few pages back, it could be seen as a too unfair promotion for him.

And for chespin, I prefer the gentle giant porcupine. Personally, I can't understand the people who want it to turn into a reptile.

CrusherTheFeraligatr

Strider: Spider King
I don't see how it's overpowered. It's not any different than water starters knowing Ice Beam.

True, but what's wrong with solarbeam? And given (If he is psychic) fennekin will probably have ridiculous sp atk. It wouldn't be over powered on most, which a good amount learn thunder fang/punch anyways, but on him its possible that would just be ridiculous. Heck, most water starters don't have the best sp atk anways.

RoySceptile

Bakaner
If I had to weigh it between Energy Ball & Thunderbolt... I'd probably go Thunderbolt (and if Fennekin3 gets the Ghost type, I could see it getting Thunderbolt, since lots of Ghost types do).

Do you guys think we'll get different abilities for the starters, instead of the usual Overgrow/Blaze/Torrent?

NightFire7

I think we are going to get the classic abilities of the starters like all the regions. Overgrow, Torrent and Blaze. However because of the dreamworld than we should also get some alternative abilities. Speaking about that hey Gamefreak when are you going to release the abilities of the 5th gen starters? You kind of screwed them over considering the fact that it is fifth gen yet you only released the dreamworld abilities of the previous gens starters.

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
True, but what's wrong with solarbeam? And given (If he is psychic) fennekin will probably have ridiculous sp atk. It wouldn't be over powered on most, which a good amount learn thunder fang/punch anyways, but on him its possible that would just be ridiculous. Heck, most water starters don't have the best sp atk anways.

Energy Ball, Solarbeam.

It's a small price to pay when you hit 7 types SE, and lose a Stealth Rock weakness.

Unless you have the sun up, Solarbeam's a bad choice due to being a charge up move. You could hit with two Energy Balls for more damage output vs. one hit while risking taking damage/set-up on the first turn.

Having said that, Fire/Ground would be nice typing on the offensive side. All Fennekin needs is to not be slow and it's golden.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.