• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Speculation/Discussion Thread

Which starter would you use?

• Chespin

Votes: 845 26.8%
  • Fennekin

Votes: 1,329 42.2%
  • Froakie

Votes: 849 27.0%
  • NONE, Dunsparce looks better

Votes: 127 4.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

adamfitz

poké-lover
Froakies actually my favorite from the start,
But I really thought it would be least liked.
Things will change when the evolved forms are shown

I have a feeling the roles of these starters will be much more similar to Generations II and IV--

Chespin will fill the role of the Physical Attacker/Wall (such as the Feraligatr and Torterra)
Fennekin will fill the role of the Special Attacker/Wall (such as Maganium and Empoleon)
Froakie will fill the role of the Mixed Sweeper (such as Typhlosion and Infernape)

I think that Chespin will fit in a role very similar to Spectile..i might be wrong but that's my prediction

Tavo_Zx

The Iron Man
Froakies actually my favorite from the start,
But I really thought it would be least liked.
Things will change when the evolved forms are shown

They will change if Fennekin's evo ends up as Fire/Fighting. It is unlikely that that will happen (and I don't think it will), but in the remote case that it happens many people are gonna be really pissed.

Ver-mont

They will change if Fennekin's evo ends up as Fire/Fighting. It is unlikely that that will happen (and I don't think it will), but in the remote case that it happens many people are gonna be really pissed.

Personally, if Fennekin's evo is Fire/Fighting, I'll choose Froakie.

That way the rival will choose Chespin and I won't have to endure another Fire/Fighting starter in my sight.

RoninOtterai

Ok...that might be an Ice type move

so...what if Froakie is an Ice type?then the triagle is reversed...Froakie is weak to Fennekin and strong against Chespin>.>

I have a feeling the roles of these starters will be much more similar to Generations II and IV--

Chespin will fill the role of the Physical Attacker/Wall (such as the Feraligatr and Torterra)
Fennekin will fill the role of the Special Attacker/Wall (such as Maganium and Empoleon)
Froakie will fill the role of the Mixed Sweeper (such as Typhlosion and Infernape)

I agree with chespin. Although if it is dark, being defensive may be bad for business because fighting types are all over the place.

I see fennekin as a special sweeper with stats similar to sceptile. Hopefully it doesn't get a physically leaning move set. I would like to see it's feet be on fire in its evolution and the ends of its tail to be whispy.

Froakie I agree that i will be like infernape but let it be nothing like Typhlosion(as much as I love the guy, it needs move pool love). Froakie just seems to be very limber like treeko. I hope it's lean body type persists throughout evolution. I have high hopes for Water/Fighting. After watching that second move performed over and over, I believe it is close combat. Two of the after images show froakie throwing a punch and a kick. I just hope he hits hard and fast.

One thing I truly hope for, that will probably never happen, is for every starter to have a unique ability. They all have such unique designs and through put into them to only have Torrent, blaze and overgrow.

Tavo_Zx

The Iron Man
Personally, if Fennekin's evo is Fire/Fighting, I'll choose Froakie.

That way the rival will choose Chespin and I won't have to endure another Fire/Fighting starter in my sight.

I don't think you have to worry about that though. If any starter is Fighting type this generation it will most likely be Froakie.

NeoDude-5000

Here's what I think of the starter evolutions:

Chespin (Chipmunk or Hedgehog, Grass) - Stage 1 (Hedgehog, Grass) - Stage 2 (Werehog, nah just kidding Hedgehog, Grass)
Fennekin (Fox, Fire) - Stage 1 (Tiger Fox standing on 2 legs, Fire - Stage 2 (Tiger Warrior-thingy, Fire/Dark) (FOR THE LOVE OF ARCEUS, DON'T BE FIRE/FIGHTING!)
Froakie (Frog, Water) - Stage 1 (Muscaular Frog, Water) - Stage 2 (Toad, Water may be Water/Poison type)

Ghosts of the Forums

Who Ya Gonna Call?
It'd be cute if they make Chespin's primary stat be Speed, and it's shiny form being blue. I'd get a few good laughs from that.

Not really, no

EDIT: lol I didn't even notic the poll. I'm picking chespin, obviously.

Last edited:

Sabconth

Kanto Ranger
These are the best starters since the first and second gen's in my opinion.

Fennekin will be my main like every other fire starter has been.

Ungoliath

Not a GenWunner
I just don't understand why people at this point think that there could be a Fire/Fighting after this trailer. GF is pretty much straight forward and it wont give any psychic move to fighting type just to troll users. (Unless it's Medicham, of course)

I think the trailer was pretty much the confirmation we need about the dual types. Either it will be Fire/Psychic, Grass/Dark, Water/Fighting or Fire/Psychic, Gras/Fighting and Water/Dark. The later being less likely.

About the stats...Don't really know for sure, but my guess on primary focus is:
>Chespin: HP, Defense, Special Defense.
>Fennekin: Special Attack, Defense (Weird, I know)
>Froakie: Attack, Speed (**** YEAH)

Last edited:
Am I the only one that thinks that Froakie will be either Water/Electric or Water/Psychic? In the trailer, the second attacks he uses looks a lot like Zen Headbutt, or maybe an Electric attack. Of course, not only Psychic types learn Zen Headbutt, but still...

Lion Demon

Fairy Type Champion
I'm all up for Froakie! That frog fella definitely won me over! Hopefully the evolution stages won't Dissapoint me!
(Usually, It's the water types that have the most dynamic evolution forms)!

Eve of the Apocolypse

One Last Battle~
You know, at first, I was like; "Pfffft, screw this game, starters are stupid" but then I looked at them again, and I'm glad I did <3

Kariachi

Power Is Beautiful
After about three days of looking at the starters and at fanart of them-

Still hopelessly in love with Fennekin

Froakie is quickly catching up and depending on evolutions may very well beat Fennekin for my first starter

I still don't really see anything in Chespin. Don't know why, it just doesn't catch my attention at all. Hopefully this changes as we learn more, I do so want to feel something, anything, for the poor thing...

Tavo_Zx

The Iron Man
Am I the only one that thinks that Froakie will be either Water/Electric or Water/Psychic? In the trailer, the second attacks he uses looks a lot like Zen Headbutt, or maybe an Electric attack. Of course, not only Psychic types learn Zen Headbutt, but still...

Actually the second attack looks more like a Normal type move. If it was a Psychic move or an Electric move it would probably have a color that represents each type (pinkish purple and yellow respectively).

I think it may have been Fury Swipes, judging by the sound of the attack and the fact that in the animation Froakie seems to hit Patrat twice.

Status
Not open for further replies.