• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Speculation/Discussion Thread

Which starter would you use?

• Chespin

Votes: 845 26.8%
  • Fennekin

Votes: 1,329 42.2%
  • Froakie

Votes: 849 27.0%
  • NONE, Dunsparce looks better

Votes: 127 4.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

slowkingsley

pic10.jpg

The inspiration behind Chespin is a chestnut and a hedgehog/porcupine. Both the Japanese and English (and French and German) names reference each.

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo

Nacreous

Fire trainer
Guys something just ran a bell about the Fire Starters about something based on what PokeJungle mentioned (during speculation). The fire starters are based on Chinese Zodiac Animals. Charmander is based on the dragon, Cyndaquill is a rat, Torchic is a rooster, Chimchar is a monkey, Tepig is a pig and Fennekin is a fox but it maybe based on the tiger from the Zodiac (maybe it evolves into a tiger Pokemon). Just thought you would be interested.

It could be a mix...fox with tiger feautures...who knows?^^

Scammel

I'm thinking Froakie is likely to become a sage-type character, or a wizard, what with the spectacles, white 'hair' and the fact that it looks like he's struggling to hear. Toss in the significance of frogs and the occult in Western folklore and the fact that 'Froakie' could potentially be a play on 'fogey' (as in, 'old fogey'), we may have a water/psychic on our hands.

I think Fennekin will be Fire/Psychic type... it really looks like it. but, really, as long as we don't have another Fire/Fighting starter, fine by me.

I will likely choose Froakie. seeing that we'll have Palpitoad (if the statue is anything to go by), I find it curious that we have two Water-type frogs in the same Dex.

Hidden Power

I swear, if Fennekin's evo gonna be a fire/fighting Swords of Justice wannabe I'm gonna-

I like Chespin the most here. Its dorky-lloking face is its charm point imo. I would most likely use it.

Fennekin looks adorable too, especially for its feminine looks.

Froakie looks okay. I like it the least among this set of starters and when compared to other starters, but I still like it.

Funny, because I was thinking that Kennekin's little extension on its hind legs reminds me of Virizion. Chespin reminds me of Oshawott because of how its expression, and how its body is sectioned and given different colors. At the moment I'm neutral about seeing them, though, brand new stuff but the design doesn't really get me excited for some reason.

Nacreous

Fire trainer
I'm thinking Froakie is likely to become a sage-type character, or a wizard, what with the spectacles, white 'hair' and the fact that it looks like he's struggling to hear. Toss in the significance of frogs and the occult in Western folklore and the fact that 'Froakie' could potentially be a play on 'fogey' (as in, 'old fogey'), we may have a water/psychic on our hands.

It doesn't look like it's struggling to hear,it looks like it's thinking.I get a very intellectual vibe from it...kinda like an arristocrat.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
I'm definitely going to use either Chespin or Froakie, though I have to wait until their I see evolutionary forms to make a final decision

Nacreous

Fire trainer
Funny, because I was thinking that Kennekin's little extension on its hind legs reminds me of Virizion. Chespin reminds me of Oshawott because of how its expression, and how its body is sectioned and given different colors. At the moment I'm neutral about seeing them, though, brand new stuff but the design doesn't really get me excited for some reason.

Chespin is so much like the Pikachu clones though.Its face is identical to Emolga's.

streetlightdsb

Uni hiatus
I can't see a Fox (canine) evolving into a Tiger (feline). Maybe next gen eh?

Thanks for the hedgehog confirmation slowkingsley, I'm liking Chespin more by the minute.

As I said above, I'm hoping for Grass/Steel final form Chespin, as well as Water/Ice for Froakie (though I can't see a cold blooded Frog becoming an Ice type) and Fire/anything but Fighting for Fennekin.

gliscor&yanmega

Gotta get used to the names, better now then when the rest of the Pokemon get revealed.

I like all three, I'd never had issues before with starters but for the most part I never really liked all three that much before, I'm only a fan of 3 maybe 4 in total(I find them all interesting to some degree though). I can see myself having these three all be favorites though. I like the Fire one most so far, it's not a Wolf(Favorite Animal), but it's the closest to relate to one out of the three.

Not sure what to expect for types, I imagine they'll all be single type until evolutions at least. I would like Dark, Fighting, and Psychic to be their dual types upon evolving though.

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
I like the fire type the most so far. Just prefer its design more than others thus far. Quite cute!

The grass starter made me think of Oshawott off the bat, haha. Going to reserve decisions on who to use once the evolutions are revealed though.

NeoDude-5000

I think I might go with Chespin as my starter, but I'm not 100% sure if I'll take it. I'm just hoping Fennekin doesn't evolves into another Fire/Fighting Pokemon, its getting boring now.

Ver-mont

Not sure what to expect for types, I imagine they'll all be single type until evolutions at least. I would like Dark, Fighting, and Psychic to be their dual types upon evolving though.

As long as Fire gets either Dark or Psychic, I'm fine with this.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
I like all of the starters. But I like Froakie most.

I mentioned it before but they finally broke the reptilian Grass starter line.

Status
Not open for further replies.