• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Speculation/Discussion Thread

Which starter would you use?

• Chespin

Votes: 845 26.8%
  • Fennekin

Votes: 1,329 42.2%
  • Froakie

Votes: 849 27.0%
  • NONE, Dunsparce looks better

Votes: 127 4.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SimH8

Hmmm, rest of the game looks amazing but I'm not too keen on these starters, I guess we'll have to wait for the evo's to be released.

Phoenixfatih

Thoughts on the starters and how they'll evolve:

Chespin will likely gain the dark type, as evidenced by the Night Slash it used in the trailer. I could see it growing into a spiny ninja-like thing. Can't tell if it's supposed to be a bear or a gopher at this point, but basically mammalian, with spikes.

For Fennekin I predict it will gain the psychic type (as evidenced by the in-trailer move), and likely grow basically up. I can see it trending towards an elegant fox, ala Ninetales, but I could also see it going the more lupine route and becoming a large fiery wolf. At the moment, the former seems most likely.

Froakie is the only one I can't predict very well. It looked like it used a fighting type move, and if it gained the fighting type, the type triangle would be inverted, with grass>fire>water, but then dark<psychic<fighting. If so, then Froakie may grow into a fighting type, and judging by the aristocratic collar, I could see him being a gentleman brawler, like a Victorian age boxer. Or, perhaps he'll stay a strictly water type and surprise me.

I love the idea of Chespin. Maybe the spiky helmet will turn into an assasin hoodie-like thing with spikes all over it.

I would like Fennekin to have some dog characteristics while leveling up.

Last edited:

βƹβƹ ɱɪɢηѻη

All three starters look fantastic to me! Fennekin has my favorite design, however I'll choose Chespin as my starter because picking a grass-type starter has always been a tradition for me. I think Froakie is cute and quite hilarious, especially when people mention its name.

Gamblor

Kopite Trainer
Chespin looks absolutely freaking awesome! I think it'll either be Grass/Dark or Grass/Fighting.

VampirateMace

Internet Overlord
I think these starters are fun, though none of them really scream pick me to me (so I'll probably pick based on evos or moveset). Froakie makes me think of a old man, in the cute little old man, or wise old sage sort of way. Does anyone else get reminded of an armadillo when they see Chespin, aside from the quill/whisker things? I know we have a few fire foxes already, but Fennekin is diffrent from those even, so I imagine it will evolve into something diffrent looking as well.

Thriller

Its almost time
Chespin looks absolutely freaking awesome! I think it'll either be Grass/Dark or Grass/Fighting.

You think a Chipmunk is going to be a Dark type? Not even Simon from the Chipmunks knows how to properly pronounce drug names...

john90

I don't know i feel chespin more like the rattata/sentret/zizagoon/bippa/patrat of the situation..

streetlightdsb

Uni hiatus
I can't see a fish evolving into an octopus, oh wait.....

Touché. Though Remoraid and Octillery were based on weaponry too, which explains the evolution. How would you explain a Fox>Tiger evolution?

Missingno. Master

Poison-type Trainer
Definitely picking Chespin when I get these games. Cute and badass-looking at the same time, what's not to like? Fennekin and Froakie are also pretty cool, but Chespin's definitely my favorite of the trio.

I could see Froakie becoming Water/Ice, and the Ice Beam it uses in the preview doesn't exactly hurt its case. Fennekin will evolve into a Fire/Psychic-type, if it isn't one itself already. As for Chespin, I'm leaning towards Grass/Fighting.

carboncopy

(-) (-) (-) (-)
Im just happy that we left the grass and lizard combo. Chespin is a nice fresh.
Thank god for no fire/fighting ( i hope fennekin doesnt evolve into one )

Kalosian

So long
Chespin and Fennekin look great, but I'm not as impressed by Froakie. Although it is likely to grow on me with time which has been the case for starters from previous generations. I don't have a clear favorite of the three at the moment.

Kyris

Touché. Though Remoraid and Octillery were based on weaponry too, which explains the evolution. How would you explain a Fox>Tiger evolution?

I'm sorry, but you realize you're arguing logic, in a video game right? A video game, mind you, where 10 year olds can capture LITERAL GODS! in pocket sized capsule balls.
You don't need to explain how a fox can evolve into a tiger, it just HAPPENS!

streetlightdsb

Uni hiatus
Wow. What unbelievably ugly Starters...

I can't understand why they have to keep messing up Chipmunks. Not since Ross Bagdassarian Jr. attempted to convince us his walking Groundhogs were Chipmunks had something fail so hard at making a chipmunk creature.

That Fire Fox is pretty cool though. I hope that frog evolves into something epic.
Apparently all of Chespin's international names reference the fact that it's a hedgehog, not a chipmunk.

I'm sorry, but you realize you're arguing logic, in a video game right? A video game, mind you, where 10 year olds can capture LITERAL GODS! in pocket sized capsule balls.
You don't need to explain how a fox can evolve into a tiger, it just HAPPENS!
And yet most, if not all evolutions have had some kind of logic or backstory to them. It may be that this series is complete fantasy, but that doesn't mean the creators do not try to stick to some semblance of logic within their creation.

Last edited:
I really hope Froakie has clouds on his back and that his design is inspired by rain clouds, which could lead to a water/flying type combo which would be rally interesting.

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
Chespin will likely gain the dark type, as evidenced by the Night Slash it used in the trailer.

It's most likely Aerial Ace. If you look at the video, you see the move is one downwards and one upwards slash, much like Aerial Ace(or more specifically, it's Japanese name, Tsubame Gaeshi)

Poke_Mania97

God of Fire
The fire type seems to fit the trend of Zodiac fire types. Its either meant to represent the Dog or Tiger. Is it me or does the grass one look like a Deku Scrub :S it kind of does. and also the Water type looks like it will evolve into some epic thing! I love the fire type, the best nickname would be FireFox :D

Scammel

It's hit me - stuff my older idea about Froakie, an aristocratic frog is clearly going to be the fabulous Mr Toad!

Crystal Power

Okay I just love all three of the starters! BUT! I think there's something about Chespin. I like more than the others... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.