• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Speculation/Discussion Thread

Which starter would you use?

• Chespin

Votes: 845 26.8%
  • Fennekin

Votes: 1,329 42.2%
  • Froakie

Votes: 849 27.0%
  • NONE, Dunsparce looks better

Votes: 127 4.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

co918

im not too sold on any of the starters really. i think that its a good thing that i have a year to get used to looking at them, but i hope they wont disappoint me to the point of just ditching them in the PC and leaving them for the lucky field Poke that happens to be much better than they are.

Froakie - im just not feeling it. the frog concept wears thin with me b/c frogs just arent that interesting really. i mean, it looks cute in some ways, but i dont think the evolutionary line is gonna keep me interested. kinda a bummer considering i love nearly all water starters (oshawott is working his way in). i think they're gonna go for the water/fighting mix, but i CRAVE A SPEEDY WATER STARTER. fire/grass got one, so its our turn now (it probably wont though... water isnt know for its speed)

Fennekin - probably the best looking imo. fire/psychic is looking like its ideal typing, but maybe we'll have a pure fire? foxes are known to be mischievous, so maybe fire/dark. looks like its gonna abuse its speed (look at that thin body!) and frailty, my favorite type of Poke. its tops on my list of choices, but only time and stats will tell

Chespin - another unfortunate starter suffering from dorky looks. i really cant get into it, so i'll wait and watch to see if its evolutionary line makes me want it. grass/dark typing imo. i think that it used night slash in the trailer (some moves are really easy to see despite animation). it looks like it'll have some average speed, but grass is know for their speedy frailty, plus it might be dark. i guess waiting and watching is gonna provide me the answers i want.

in digression, i'll probably just get all of them (i like having all the starters in every gen.)

Particularly the part about water types not being known for speed, dw sharpedo would like to have a word about that :p

Silverevilchao

Scythe-Wielding Chao
Wow, this has to be one of the first times in a while where I blatantly loved another starter far more than the Grass one I always choose. I might have to break the pattern and go with Fennekin this time...I honestly don't like rodent designs very much (it's the buck teeth, something about them freaks me out for some reason), but if the final Grass evo is awesome I might just go with it anyway despite my misgivings about the initial form.

I honestly hope Froakie goes a completely different route than Seismitoad. Maybe they should've made THAT one the Grass starter (tree frog?), for the sake of variety between gens.

Pasque

I have to admit this is the first gen where I find the starters to look bizarre/out of place.
Froakie has a bit of a toon look goin' on.
And Fennekin's head looks uncomfortably out of proportion to its body =/
They'll definitely take some getting use to~

Chespin might be the one for me, which works out well since I tend to choose Grass type starters~

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
the grass one does look weird

Nah, Conkeldurr looks weird..

So.. I kinda wanted to bring up to issue of fidelity and Japanese names.. With this worldwide stream, most of us have, since a long time, started naming pokemon by their English names on first notice!

When Dp came out, most of us used names like Naetoru/Naetle, Hikozaru, Muku.Bird, etc.. Then came BW, and Tsutaja, Pokabu, Chaobuu, Daikenki, Mijumaru became the names used, and only when their English localizations came up, did some start to call them Oshawott, Snivy, etc..

I've seen nobody use the Japanese names yet, and quite frankly, I doubt that 50 percent of the people in this thread even know them:
- Keromatsu: Froakie
- Fokko: Fennekin
- Harimaron: Chespin

trident20

ground types
honestly i think they are all cool.

i feel bad for people without a 3ds....

codybriana

Those look good, but I think you have the legendaries mixed. The flying red one represents Y, and the deer one represents X. But the drawings look excellent!

Ver-mont

So.. I kinda wanted to bring up to issue of fidelity and Japanese names.. With this worldwide stream, most of us have, since a long time, started naming pokemon by their English names on first notice!

When Dp came out, most of us used names like Naetoru/Naetle, Hikozaru, Muku.Bird, etc.. Then came BW, and Tsutaja, Pokabu, Chaobuu, Daikenki, Mijumaru became the names used, and only when their English localizations came up, did some start to call them Oshawott, Snivy, etc..

I've seen nobody use the Japanese names yet, and quite frankly, I doubt that 50 percent of the people in this thread even know them:
- Keromatsu: Froakie
- Fokko: Fennekin
- Harimaron: Chespin

Oh, that's another great thing about this worldwide release: we won't have to learn all the Japanese names and then take a long time to get used to the Western names when they finally come out. As you said, most of us didn't even know the Japanese names for the new starters.

rocky505

Inb4 Chespin's shiny form is blue. I mean it seems to be based on a porcupine/Hedgehog.

Silverevilchao

Scythe-Wielding Chao
If anything, this new gen is going to sell the 3DS like crazy.

Yeah. I'm on the Sega of America forums, and I've always postulated that the Pokemon games are always what leads to the Nintendo handhelds winning...and now people over there are already joking about "getting the hammer and the nails" for the PSVita.

7 tyranitars

The grass and fire one seems nice. I don't know if I will like the frog.

Please Gamefreak no fire/fightning start please!

For the first time in a while I really like the fire starter.

Fennekin is absolutely badass. Definitely my favourite so far. Froakie probably the least so, which isn't to say he's bad.

I'm not one to predict secondary types so much (because I'm almost always wrong), but my initial thoughts are that Froakie will probably stay the same, or may even develop a water/grass combo. As for Fennekin and his/her "psychic" attack, it is worth pointing out that I think he/she was fighting a Ralts at that moment. Could just be a reversal/mirror coat move? Doesn't immediately suggest psychic.

cookies kill you

Like a boss
yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeah I think this year I'm getting myself a new console *cough* 3DS does anyone think that the price will drop for it because I wanna know when the best time will be to get it since I'm not all that interested in paying $40 for other games just yet

Axel.

Particularly the part about water types not being known for speed, dw sharpedo would like to have a word about that :p

It'a not so much water pokemon but water starters. Until today all of them have been either slow or average but none of them was fast. Froakie may be an exception.

Griff4815

No. 1 Grovyle Fan
Eh, I'm not too excited about any of the starters yet. The grass type looks like a Piplup/Oshawott clone. I'm more partial towards the frog. I'll wait for the evos though.

BeneathTheWaves

Team FroakieMander!
I hope whatever Fennekein evolves into is equally as awesome or I will be disappointed.
Chespin's head looks odd to me though, the green spikes are strange.
Froakie is cute, I think it will be a Water/Fighting type just like Poliwhirl

Forgive me if this has been mentioned before because I have not yet taken the time to read all 9 pages of posts, but I believe that Chespin's evolutions will either be pure Grass or possibly Grass/Steel as hedgehogs/porcupines have obvious means of defense and it seems to fit. As for Fennekin, I believe its evolutions could be Fire/Ground or Fire/Rock because Fennec foxes are native to desert regions and Rock or Ground could mirror that effectively. Lastly, Froakie's evolutions could take a couple different paths: staying pure Water, becoming Water/Psychic because frogs/toads are synonymous with witches and wizards and Froakie's "spectacles" could also point towards this connection, and possibly Water/Poison if the designers took a poison dart frog approach, though this option seems the least likely of the three because I think Forakie would be a lot more colorful if it were to represent a poison dart frog.

Hilijix

Back in Blue
I tried to resist myself from this Pokemon surprise, but Youtube just happened to spoil it, so... Geez, Gen 6 came faster than I thought it would. The people who predicted a new region were... right. Anyhow, opinions:

I can totally see me using Chespin. That happy smile is just so... happy. Also was that a Dark type move I saw it use in the trailer? Hmm...

Fennekin makes sense. They base the Fire type starters off of the Chinese zodiac, but I didn't think they'd use a fox again. Vulpix and Ninetales have competition... I do like Fennekin though, probably the most out of the three. Looks quiet AND SHE HAS FIRE IN HER EARS. The one thing I'm hoping for is for the love of all that is good, please don't become a Fire/Fighting type! This guy looks like it would use more Special attacks than Fire ones, so it doesn't look like the case.

Froakie! So fun to say. Just as fun to say as Loki! Froakie! That's it, naming my first Froakie, Loki. Or maybe just Frog. I've been playing Chrono Trigger for the first time recently and I've gotten that connection. Why does he have a white hood? He has like a white thing on him. For those comparing him to the other Water frogs, this guy already starts as a frog, not a tadpole, so we'll see what he becomes. My prediction is that it will just stay pure Water.

Status
Not open for further replies.