• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Speculation/Discussion Thread

Which starter would you use?

• Chespin

Votes: 845 26.8%
  • Fennekin

Votes: 1,329 42.2%
  • Froakie

Votes: 849 27.0%
  • NONE, Dunsparce looks better

Votes: 127 4.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

bippacooleth

Quiver Dance=Success
Firstly did anyone see this coming?! Still in shock

Back to the topic, I love Fennekin and Chespin but Froakie is GROSS and a huge disappointment. Hopefully it evolves into something kickass because i have always used the water starter on my first runthrough of every new game.

If I hate its evo line as well, I'll go with Fennekin and my brother wants Chespin.

Tavo_Zx

The Iron Man
Firstly did anyone see this coming?! Still in shock

Back to the topic, I love Fennekin and Chespin but Froakie is GROSS and a huge disappointment. Hopefully it evolves into something kickass because i have always used the water starter on my first runthrough of every new game.

If I hate its evo line as well, I'll go with Fennekin and my brother wants Chespin.

Actually gen 6 was what I was expecting.

And just like you, I always use the Water starter first. I know Froakie seems a bit off compared to the other water starters, but that is what makes me like it. It is different, but in a cool way.

Mr.Pokeman

Lishus13

Poli-Spriter!
I think it's interesting to look at the moves each starter uses after their elemental battle moves. It seems that Fennekin uses a Psychic-type move after his Fire-type move (Fire/Psychic). Chespin uses some sort of X-Scissor or Fighting-Type attack (Grass/Fighting?). Froakie seems to use a physical move (a slap) that causes a bit of shaking/electrical movement (Water/Electric? Water/Fighting?).

psyrose3

What strikes me about the new starters is that they all have lighter main colors than the previous starters. The green helmet/tail on Chespin is a light green, Fennekin is the first fire starter to have a mainly yellow body, and Froakie is light blue.

Just noticing a lighter color shift from the previous gens, that's all. It's interesting to see.

Aurath8

Anyone besides me think Frogakie will be water/flying? I mean it looks like it has a cloud on its back and what not. Or possible Water/Ice? Toss up between Chespin and frogakie on who looks best to me so far. I think it would be interesting if these turned out not to be the start lol..being trolled.

Fennekin would be cool if it was psychic.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Some poll results from gamefaqs:

Fennekin 1079 votes, 58.33%

Chespin 381 votes, 20.56%

Froakie 393 votes, 21.21%

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/696959-pokemon-x/65124254?results=1#1

I knew Fennekin would be the most popular.

Fennekin is the only one that looks like a Pokemon cool. The others are okay, but the fox Pokemon will definitely interest a lot of people. It's got that cute and cool thing going on, which will result in it being one of the most marketable Pokemon from Generation 6.

Hopefully we can see the final evolutions before the game is out because I'm torn between Fennekin and Chespin. Froakie isn't bad per se, it's just not really my kind of Pokemon. Then again, if it has super cool evolutions, that could change my mind.

I could see myself not going for Fennekin though just because I like to go for the underdog starter, but once again, it's all up in the air.

FlyAsADunsparce

Chespin's entire thing is Chestnuts
Ches is obvious but some chestnuts are called "chinkapin"

It also doubles as adding in "pin" since, going by the japanese name, it's based on a hedgehog.

Fennikin probably references fire and maybe child with kin

Oh ok thanks for explaining.

I think I'm gonna go with Froakie. Usually I go with the Firetypes (as you can see in my sig), but Fenniken isn't really my style at all. This will be the first time I won't choose the fire type for my first walkthrough and go with a Water type!

rocky505

im pretty sure froakie is using acrobatics in the trailer. It flips around when hitting patrat.

adam1990

Fennekin is the only one that looks like a Pokemon cool. The others are okay, but the fox Pokemon will definitely interest a lot of people. It's got that cute and cool thing going on, which will result in it being one of the most marketable Pokemon from Generation 6.

It's also based off Vulpix and that dark/fighting guy from gen 5 (forgot name sorry). Why another fox?

Why another frog?

The grass starter is the most original.

Overkill™

Snowflake!
As much as I want the 3 starsters to get fight/dark/psychic as their 2nd attributes, I doubt it'll happen. It has been suggested so many times, that I doubt they'll do something with it now. Plus their designs don't support it enough from a first look. Also what I wonder more then their dual typing, is what kind of role they get. Wich poke will get teh attacking role, wich the defensive, wich the speedy one. Mostlly the fire leans towards damage, but this design looks to lean more towards speed in it's slender elegant design. Also notided the white foamish behind the frog. I wonder how that support it's evolution. Will it turn into a weapon? a shield? streamling speedy manes? Same goes for grass it's hat, and fox it's... ear hair...

What I HOPE to be their dual types: Gras/ground (could be posibble, looking at diggin claw like claws) Water/Ice (I like ice pokemons, not really got a reason for it, besides having a pretty snowy design with it's blue and white) and fire/electric (we don't got one yet right? Wondering what it could do in the metagame)

Shneak

this is a Nessa x Sonia stan account ✨
I really like all of the starters. I like their designs and I think they have potential. Not sure which is my favourite, probably Chespin.

Eve of the Apocolypse

One Last Battle~
I don't really like the new starters all that much, but I still love them, if that makes any sense.

Chespin: The design is adorable/boring. The colors are a bit bland, but its hyped-yet-exaggerated face makes it very appealing in some areas. Now that I look at it more, I see that even though it will have the highest defenses of the trio, it will still have balanced speed and lower attack, judging for design. I think it will evolve into a Grass/Dark type. It would be funny to see such a happy go lucky, clumsy-looking Pokemon turn into something sinister and serious.

Fennikin: By far, my favorite of the bunch. It reminds me of Zorua in so many ways, yet distinctly stands out from its fox-like parent. The speed and and attack will be high and balanced with one another; its defenses, however, will be the key to its defeat, taking a good bit of strategy planning and training to overcome. It is likely that it will evolve into a psychic type; its slim figure, good-looking balance, and use of psychic in the trailer almost guarantees it.

Froakie: My least favorite. It has a charming, intelligent air to it, but it still lacks in that... special something that the other generation starters possess (then again, they all do). It will probably have the lowest speed of the three, with slightly better defense and average attack. It might be pure water, but another likely option is water/psychic, though I doubt that they would put two starters in that evolved into half-psychic types. I like it; he's just my least favorite.

In past games I usually choose the fire starter because the first pokedex has very few fire type pokemon to choose from. But in every game there is always ample water/ grass types to choose. If these games offer a better selection of fire pokemon I'll be more open to picking any kind of starter.

So three things occurred to me since my last speculation post.

1.) The starter speculation thread is by far the most popular right now. :D

2.) The trailer showing froakie using a ice attack could be pretty significant. First it's name could be derived from "frozen" and "croak". Secondly, I looked at the Black/ White pokedex for basic water pokemon learning ice moves but not evolving into water/ ice types. Very few water types naturally learn ice moves (I found totadile and remoraid). More water pokemon learn ice moves in their pure water stage if a later stage is ice/ water.

It's highly unlikely that they showed a froakie with a bred ice move. I would assume it would be a true starter without a breeding movepool influence. HOWEVER This is a new generation, and GF could be trying to shake up movepools for all pokemon more. It's possible that more water types will naturally learn ice type moves, or maybe froakie will have a wider movepool than most water types.

3.) I found the two little white buds on froakie's nose to be interesting. It could just be part of it's design, but it reminded me of the white nose bat fungus. I started researching the chytrid fungus that affects frogs- in pictures you really can't see the fungus on the frogs themselves. So maybe, just maybe the white stuff is supposed to be a fungus on froakie, and designers looked at other animal fungus to use as a visual example. That I completely admit, is a stretch.

I personally love the specualtion of grass/ dark, fire/ psychic and water/fighting. Newbies would still start off with the basic water/ grass/ fire types but end with a starter that could damage something that it's weak too. I personally can see froakie becoming a water/ fighting quite easily.

Tavo_Zx

The Iron Man
Anyone besides me think Frogakie will be water/flying? I mean it looks like it has a cloud on its back and what not. Or possible Water/Ice? Toss up between Chespin and frogakie on who looks best to me so far. I think it would be interesting if these turned out not to be the start lol..being trolled.

Fennekin would be cool if it was psychic.

We actually talked a bit about that a few pages back. I read somewhere that Froakie's Japanese name has something to do with foam, so probably the white thing on its back is that, foam. Although it would be interesting for it to become a Water/Flying.

I'm rooting for Fennekin to become Fire/Psychic, it seems like a reasonable typing for it to me.

EDIT:

2.) The trailer showing froakie using a ice attack could be pretty significant. First it's name could be derived from "frozen" and "croak". Secondly, I looked at the Black/ White pokedex for basic water pokemon learning ice moves but not evolving into water/ ice types. Very few water types naturally learn ice moves (I found totadile and remoraid). More water pokemon learn ice moves in their pure water stage if a later stage is ice/ water.

I dont think that was an Ice move. Looking in detail at the trailer you can actually see that Froakie is shooting water, not ice.

Last edited:

LudaChris78

Okay stupid name guessing by PKMN KING!

Chespin: Ches? + Pin (something pointy?=dark?) (Grass/Dark)
Fennikin: Fennick Fox + Telekinis (Fire/Psychic)
Froakie: Frog + a + Rocky Balboa (Water/Fighting)

I think this is spot on. I also agree with idea of the grass starter being grass/dark, fire starter being fire/psy, and water starter being water/fighting.

Fighting is one of my favorite types, so if this is the case, I may choose the froakie. Judging based on appearance, I'd either go with grass or fire with slight edge to fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.