• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Speculation/Discussion Thread

Which starter would you use?

• Chespin

Votes: 845 26.8%
  • Fennekin

Votes: 1,329 42.2%
  • Froakie

Votes: 849 27.0%
  • NONE, Dunsparce looks better

Votes: 127 4.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nacreous

Fire trainer
I really like all of the new starters. They seem new and exciting! Personally, I have some theories on the typings. First off I think Chespin, or at least it's evolutions will be Grass/Dark or Grass/Ground. The overall look of him makes me think ground. When it's battling the Golurk it uses a slashing attack that obviously can't be Scratch. On to Fenniken, it's seeming to be Fire/Psychic. And Froakie seems to be Water/Electric. When it battles the Patrat it uses an attack that looks like it shocked it. Plus it has the old cloudy like thing going on. It could also be Water/Poison and based on the dart frog like Croagunk. Well, those are just my guesses. Guess we'll have to wait and hear the official word. Until then, it's fun to speculate.
Why?Because he's brown?And ground is brown...good logic there mate.

rocky505

Why would they turn a lynx into a fire/ground type? How does that make sense? Numel turned into a fire-ground because it had a volcano on it's back, and I just can't see a lynx creating seismic earthquakes. Also, I'm fairly certain that GameFreak wouldn't let a fire/ground use a low-class PSYCHIC move. And even if they did why would they include it in the trailer?

What lynx? Do you mean the Fennec Fox?

Serebii!

Personally I am finding it hard to like the starters currently I would really like to see their evolutions before I can choose a favourite to pick. It doesn't appear they have secondary types yet

Froakie is defiantly my favorite of the trio. (although all of them are great as well) and I inclining that Froakie final evolution will be water/fighting, plus look at his stance in the trailer, its so goofy but badass at the same time and I like that.

Furret Master

Champion Seeker
But they are getting more creative every Generation. Compare the first and second Gen Pokémon to the 4th and 5th Gen ones. ^^ These new ones are great. You can't expect to always love all Pokémon the very first day.

This is a very important point. All new generations seem really weird when they are first seen. It isn't until I get into playing the actual games that I start to feel comfortable with the new Pokemon. At that point, I can start to see what Pokemon I actually like. I do think they are doing what they can to be creative, but I understand how hard that is to do that, so I cut them some slack.

Luxvan

Mozilla Fennekin
OH THANK GOD FENNIKEN ISN'T FIGHTING TYPE. Gonna pick that as it's my favorite type, and I haven't picked the fire starter since Emerald (even while replaying BW/DPPt >_>).
They all look nice, though Chespin is a bit questionable, but loyal to the grass type. Not much to say about Froakie, but I kinda hope it'd be an ice-Type in its final form. I won't contemplate much here because last gen had a pig that turned into a wrestler.
The one thing I don't like about the three is that they look more childish than ever.

Raguna

Magikarp. The best.
OMG

We went from a set bar of pure awesomeness-
To a slightly higher bar of awesomeness-
Jump again with Hoenn-
Somewhat awesome Sinnoh because each starter had an advantage against its rival-
To the sheer amazingness of Unova
And now we have.....
These three pathetic looking pokemon....

The Fire one looks like a fire version of Zorua mixed with Eevee and Vulpix. The Grass one looks like Patrat with a leaf, and the water one......I have nothing to say. Mudkip looks better than the water one. AND I HATE MUDKIPS!!!!!

This happens at the start of EVERY gen. It's incredible. And, of course Fennekin looks like the pokémon you said. He is a fox, after all, just a different type of fox. And his design premise differs greatly from those you mentioned. Patrat with a leaf? You're stretching it a little bit there, if anything it reminds me of Dewott. And Froakie just looks like a generic frog. How is a frog a stupid design for a water Pokémon? They DO live close to water. And, until today, I think Froakie is one of the best looking frog Pokémon.

ninijatt

Half, ninja, half cat, all attitude
I actually hoped Gen 5 would be last. Oh, Satoshi.... How I miss your work. But, hey, six is the max party members at one time so, it's a good number. I'll let it slide.
I noticed a decline in the designs in Gen 4. I even hated a large amount of Gen 5 designs..... Now, I think they just went off the deep end. Gen 1-3 was really good though. For those who don't know, Satoshi Tajiri (The Single Creator of Pokemon) stopped helping with the designs after Gen 3... Notice a pattern?
Anyway, personally, I don't like any of these. Although, if I had to choose, I would go with Fennekin.
Anyway, Time for typing speculaton.

Chespin looks like it might spawn a Grass/Ground. It's color scheme and feet look like a give away.
Fennekin, I'm uncertain. Though, looking at that smug expression on it's face combined wih the fact that it is a fox, I'd say a Fire/Ghost
Froakie is also uncertain.It's color scheme looks like a flying type but, a Water/Psychic type looks better. Psychic is the closest we have to magic and that cape,mustache and gloves almost scream 'wizard'.

Well, at least these actually look like pokemon... Unlike the legends but, this isn't the thread for that.

Nacreous

Fire trainer
I find it hard to believe that Chespin will evolve into a Grass/Dark type.It's designed to be the cute one...Just because it used what seemed to be a Dark type move,doesn't mean that it'll be one.A Grass/Fighting combo seems much more plausible.Froakie still has that intelectual vibe...it could still be Water/Psychic--wich is still a pretty good combo.And Fennekin could be a pure Fire type or Fire/Dark or Fire/Ghost[I kind of doubt it'd be this one] or,who knows?Maybe even Fire/Electric.

GoldCyndaquil

Shiny Hunter
I'm choosing Chespin no doubt, I fell in love with him at first sight. As for typing...Grass/Fighting for Chespin, Fire/Psychic for Fennekin and Water/Dark for Froakie actually does make a lot of sense but I have some problems with it. The most being that each starter has double advantage over one and double weakness over the other.

gpt11

Why would they turn a lynx into a fire/ground type? How does that make sense? Numel turned into a fire-ground because it had a volcano on it's back, and I just can't see a lynx creating seismic earthquakes. Also, I'm fairly certain that GameFreak wouldn't let a fire/ground use a low-class PSYCHIC move. And even if they did why would they include it in the trailer?

if your refering to Fennekin its a fox not a Lynx very different animals :p

fox's burrow underground so ground type isnt completly a wild idea

Sapphire Milotic

I think it is interesting with the new grass starter. It breaks the trend of all previous grass starters. All grass starters in the past have been based off a reptile/dinosaur mixture. Now we have something that is clearly none of those... HA! It looks like it might be the fighting type, but we will see. I do like the fire starter the most, and may be the first time I pick a fire starter as I have always gone with the water starters. Froakie is goofy, I hope its last evolution is bomb. I think its fluff is weird, is it trying to be a sheep?

Also, if the starters all end up possessing dark, fighting, and psychic that will be funny; as it is like when generation IV starters were thought to be changed to having the base type as dark, fighting, and psychic. Check the "Fake Pokemon" page.

Last edited:

rocky505

It doesn't matter, a fox would be even less likely to be part ground

This is pokemon where a rat can shoot electricity from it's cheeks. A fox being a ground type can happen if Game Freak chooses to do so.

Manene!

It's not a lynx, it's fennec fox. They live in the desert, sand dunes are their ideal habitat, and they can hear prey that's traveling underground. So the actual animal has a connection with the ground.

Everlasting

Everything stays.
I think it is interesting with the new grass starter. It breaks the trend of all previous grass starters. All grass starters in the past have been based off a reptile/dinosaur mixture. Now we have something that is clearly none of those...

Aahahahah, I laugh on the "dinosaur mixture" one ! xD
I totally agree with you. It's really cool to see and I'm sure he's going to be great ! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.