• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Speculation/Discussion Thread

Which starter would you use?

• Chespin

Votes: 845 26.8%
  • Fennekin

Votes: 1,329 42.2%
  • Froakie

Votes: 849 27.0%
  • NONE, Dunsparce looks better

Votes: 127 4.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ohitsdylan

Are they still following the tradition with the fire starter?
Fennekin looks like a type of fox but maybe it's a weird dog or rat :0

Ulicies

Mild Monk
Looking again at Froakie, the cloud-like bubble around his neck and back seem to resemble an article of clothing, like a cloak/scarf/coat, more than anything else I can think of, which leads me to believe that this white substance on his back will evolve into a longer cloak-like trail down his backside, implying the look of a burglar or a sinister appearance.

Furthermore, his pose looks like he is employing extreme caution, as if he's up to no good, which helps cement my agreement with Honchkrow's theory that he'll evolve into a burglar-like figure, and become Water/Dark.

Pokénaut

Wow. Watched the trailer when I woke up and I can officially say now... I like the starters way better then the 5th gen ones when they were revealed. I actually like Froakie the most. And Fennekin the least.

Zecaomes

Hey Scotty,Jesus Man
Maybe all of them will be pure types. The only Region we had this was Johto, and, even though Johto's starters are the worsts IMO, it would be nice to see a starter with no second type again

ShiningKnightXY

<----Newest Shiny
Fennekin is based off of a Fennec Fox, its name is a dead give away.

silicon

Swordsman
I observed something I didn't before when I took a second gander at Chespin's picture.

I looks like Chespin's "helmet" isn't really a helmet, but the back half of his body. If you look closely at his back and his tail, the back half of his body looks green and runs all the way up to his head, alluding to some kind of armor plate for future evolutions. This leads me to believe that his future evolutions will resemble Insomniac's link, where armor will be all over his back, and he'll probably be able to roll into a ball with his armor and learn moves like Rollout and Rapid Spin.

Essentially turning him into an armadillo. I guess stranger things have been done.

I don't know why everyone is thinking Psybeam is the attack Fennekin used, it didn't have any sort of resemblance to a beam. Of the possible attacks I've seen floated the one I feel comes closest is Psywave, but honestly I feel like it's more likely to be Confusion. Psychic is also a possibility but it didn't look that powerful. I also feel as though it could possibly just be a status attack of some sort, though that is doubtful seeing Kirilia's reaction.

Here's another possibility that I haven't seen floated: an entirely new move. Doubtful, but possible.

goldensteambun

loanshark prince
Fennekin is soon to be the mudkip of the generation it seems. The little thing is bloody adorable though. On the other hand chespin looks slightly off for me, and Froakie is just ridiculous. I had high hopes for their evolution forms however.

To tell the truth I have seen better fakemon starters on deviantart.

DestroyerOfWorlds

Dragonlord Manslayer
Why so little love for Froakie? It has bubble-bifocals, a suds-cape-beard thing going on, and it just looks... I don't know, a good 400% better than all the other frog pokemon we already have. Based on Sugimori's style, it seems to favor special attack and defense, a theory further supported by the aforementioned bifocal markings (Choice Specs, Wise Glasses...), so I don't see why people are predicting a Fighting subtype. Poliwrath is a Water-Fighting frog, if you need one.

Also, Fennekin's first evolution will be part fighting just to troll everyone, before it evolves into a less played out typing.

GreenSweeper

Pokemon = supr srs

Chomper4

I think the final evolution of Froakie will be a plump frog that looks similar to a king.

Weavile247

Ok, so just hear me out, this may sound like a stretch. But I'd like to share a theory of mine that I recently came up with, please tell me what you think.

So, regarding Pokemon types, I have an idea of what Froakie's type may be. Remember, just something I noticed.

The white cloud-like structures position around Froakie's head made me think of something else.

Look at Froakie and then look at this link: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-M8oz-0IlQfw/T6Gm19WeA2I/AAAAAAAAAyg/nj7eGlDNLW8/s1600/BenFranklin.jpg

It may be a stretch, but there is a slight resemblance if you picture the clouds as hair and glasses and a ruffles on a shirt.

Picture a water/lightning type starter. I think it'd be cool.

AeroKorogu

Hard to tell...I'm gonna assume no since when b/w came out people were making fake final starter evolutions like crazy...but it depends. Where'd you find the picture?

Ok, so just hear me out, this may sound like a stretch. But I'd like to share a theory of mine that I recently came up with, please tell me what you think.

So, regarding Pokemon types, I have an idea of what Froakie's type may be. Remember, just something I noticed.

The white cloud-like structures position around Froakie's head made me think of something else.

Look at Froakie and then look at this link: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-M8oz-0IlQfw/T6Gm19WeA2I/AAAAAAAAAyg/nj7eGlDNLW8/s1600/BenFranklin.jpg

It may be a stretch, but there is a slight resemblance if you picture the clouds as hair and glasses and a ruffles on a shirt.

I really like your theory. I was thinking about Water/Electric typing, but I could find any backing for it besides the cloud looking stuff around its neck, but I like your Ben Franklin comparison

Ulicies

Mild Monk

I wouldn't go so far as to say it's a direct influence off of the actual person, but perhaps Froakie could be designed as a proper, elden Frenchman.

Status
Not open for further replies.