• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Speculation/Discussion Thread

Which starter would you use?

• Chespin

Votes: 845 26.8%
  • Fennekin

Votes: 1,329 42.2%
  • Froakie

Votes: 849 27.0%
  • NONE, Dunsparce looks better

Votes: 127 4.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

FallBird

I was doodling Chespin and Froakie earlier to help myself get used to the designs, and I gotta say, the more I look at Chespin, the more it makes me think it'll be a dark type. There's just something that fits when you draw it with a sneaky little smirk... And that little hood! It doesn't look like a helmet to me, like some people have said, though its arms do look like they'd be great for punching.

pokemonbw

Beast Mode Trainer
I'm in love with Fennekin and Chespin.
I'm hoping I'll like Froakie soon; maybe once it's evo's are revealed.

Haha me too, thats exactly how a feel. I hope i will like all the pokemon. Im afraid I wont though..

ShiningKnightXY

<----Newest Shiny
Froakie seems to be using Thief in the trailer, or at least another dark-move. the bubbles on its neck seem to resmeble a burglar's bag. I think Chespin wil be Grass/Fighting, Fennekin will be Fire/Psychic, and Froakie will be Water/Dark. It's interesting to note that all of these speculations mean that each starter might have a significant advantage and/or disadvantage to the others.

mr_brightside

Guitarist
The second I saw Froakie, I was just like, "That's him. THAT'S my starter." I can't wait to see his evolutions! I know a lot of people are saying Water/Flying, but I think he could be Water/Ice

Silverwynde

My Sweet Guardian
Oh man, I am so torn. I don't know who to pick!

Fennekin is utterly adorable and since I skipped the Fire starter for Gen V--never really liked Tepig--I really want to take it. But Froakie... the more I look at Froakie the more I'm falling in love with it and it's starting to worm its way into my heart. I'm actually thinking I may want to go with Froakie instead of Fennekin! The only one who hasn't caught my attention is Chespin; it's cute but for me, it's a bit lacking. Now, that could change: if someone were to do something like this for Chespin, I may say forget it and switch teams.

Of course, seeing the final evo will be the big deciding factor....

giratina519

ra ra ra IERUKANA?!
Fennekin is so KAWAII!!!! ^_^

Froakie I don't know about... He seems kinda derpy and more like a Fakemon... I also prefer the oter frog Pokemon- the Poliwag line,the Tympole line. But of course, I didn't like Mijimaru. But then I saw Daikenki.... <3

I'm indifferent about Chespin. He could go either way for me. I need to get to know these guys some more. Especially you.... * pulls Fennekin closer*

ShiningKnightXY

<----Newest Shiny
Im really hoping all of the evolutions look right. I'm looking at you Samurott.

PokemonTrainerKaden

I'm gonna have to take some time to get used to Froakie and Chespin, but I'm already loving Fennekin. Always had a thing for Fennic Foxes... I can't wait to see what direction they take this fire-type fox in to differentiate it from Vulpix and Ninetails.

This is pretty much me, only at first I wasn't too fond of Fennekin either. I had to actually look at the three of them for a good amount of time before I decided that, and I'll probably do what I did with B/W 1 and change my mind the week before the game comes out.

MDS777

The name's Riley
Chespin, man oh man. My first grass-type starter that I actually like (besides Treecko - all of gen 3's starters were great :p)

ninijatt

Half, ninja, half cat, all attitude
I just got hit with an idea about their typings
Though it's not likely...
Chespin - Grass/Rock type
Fennekin - Fire/Electric type
Froakie - Water/Poison type

Although, it destroys the elemental rock-paper-scissors, it also gives each starter an equal level of advantage in battle. The whole Fighting/Psychic/Dark works here too but, the thing about this is: Each of their secondary types is super-effective to the primary type of the pokemon that would have an advantage over it. Plus, Psychic is no sell to dark.

ShiningKnightXY

<----Newest Shiny
I really hate having to split my choices for starters afterall it's about the stats not the appearences. I might as well try to get all 3.

Thomas Elliot

I AM HUSH
It's way too early to tell with the final evolutions. Used to you could sort of guess how the final evolution would turn out, what they may or may not have, but nowadays it seems like they don't follow a true pattern, which you definitely make a great point with Samurott specifically.

Ulicies

Mild Monk
To counter this point: Froakie itself will be pure water. We're talking about what it might get when it evolves. Look back at the fire starters for the past 3 gens, or Poliwag and Poliwhirl. None of them really strike you as a fighting type at those points, but they can evolve into fighting types.

I am also talking about what it will evolve into, as starter Pokemon always start as pure types, obviously. It is true that the pre-evolutions haven't exuded intimidation or classic fighting poses, but they have always shown positive, exuberant, energetic personalities before evolving, which Froakie does not possess. He seems to be nervous, worried, or cautious, which usually doesn't imply Fighting type evolutions.

Of course, I could be completely wrong, because it could make sense that if the starter pokemon simultaneously have the Psychic/Fighting/Dark rock-paper-scissors relationship, then in order to balance the Fire/Grass/Water circle, Fire/Psychic could have Psychic against the Water/Fighting, the Water/Fighting could have an edge over the Grass/Dark, and the Grass/Dark would have a way to beat the Fire/Psychic.

Last edited:

Takaru

Werk, Werk, Werk
All I want is for them to make the shiny form of Chespin blue for the Sonic lols

Shraeder

It's Lit
Here are some statistic speculations:
Chespin: I see it as kind of like Swampert; not super fast, decent physical attack, and good bulk.
Fennekin: I see it as a Special Attacker with a decent speed stat as well. Very frail however.
Froakie: I can see Froakie being a Physical Attacker with lots of speed as well. Also I can see him having an okay Special Attack stat. Frail but more bulk than Fennekin.

★ Mr. Mime ★

Man of Mystery
I'm honestly not in love with any of the starters designs, they look a lot like Fakemon.

I'll have to see their final evolutions before I can make a decision on which one I will choose.

AyameTori

solitude sometimes is best society
Gosh i think the choice is hard, they all look pretty awesome!

I belive my least favorite would be Chespin, he look kinda like a fakemon to me, but i may get used to it ;)

Fennekin is my second favorite!! It is so KAWAII DESU ~~~~

Froakie will most likely be the one i choose, Water is one of my favorite types and i wanna see it's evos, so EPIC.

Lost Lore

Diving Deep
Awww, all three of them are so cute! Chespin and Fennekin are more appealing to me than Froakie right now, but who knows which one I'll like best once we see what they evolve into...

Taking a whirl at types, Chespin looks a bit like maybe Grass/Ground or Grass/Rock for some reason (Grass/Dark as people have been saying is possible, I can kinda see it), Froakie I'm thinking Water/Flying or Water/Ice and Fennekin strikes me as perhaps... hmm, Fire/Psychic? Ah, I guess only time will tell, haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.