• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Speculation/Discussion Thread

Which starter would you use?

• Chespin

Votes: 845 26.8%
  • Fennekin

Votes: 1,329 42.2%
  • Froakie

Votes: 849 27.0%
  • NONE, Dunsparce looks better

Votes: 127 4.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
Everyone seems to be ignoring the possibility of a new move or two. I was joking with the first post, but I really don't think that just because ONE pink move was used, we should assume that it's Psychic, or even that the move was Psychic.

It may be a new move, but it looks very much like a Psychic move. If it's not a Psychic move, what is it?

Silent Conversation

Chart obsessed wanker
You know, the more I look at the starters, the more they seem like they're Grass/Fighting, Fire/Psychic and Water/Dark (I know looking at a Pokemon isn't the most accurate way of determining what type it is, but at this point it's really all we've got). People have been speculating that a starter trio would be fighting-dark-psychic for multiple generations now, so doing this could add that new triangle into the starters while still sticking to the "basics" with the grass-water-fire triangle. Plus, if the types are distributed the way I put above, the triangles match up with each other (water and dark beat fire and psychic, fire and psychic beat grass and fighting, grass and fighting beat water and dark), which would add a whole new twist on the whole starter triangle/rival battles.

Moonrox

Shaymin Enthusiast
It may be a new move, but it looks very much like a Psychic move. If it's not a Psychic move, what is it?

I don't know, that's my point. It might look like a Psychic move, but what I'm getting at: one Psychic type move was used. That doesn't mean it's a Psychic type. For all we know, it could be Pink Jizz or something.

BLABO

♧ yoo ♧
Hm well I don't know if any of this has been stated yet but I came up with a few speculations without reading the majority of what has been said so far.

From what I can see on Froakie it looks like he might turn into some giant king toad or something, and the white thing on his face will either be a giant moustache/beard or a pair of smart looking glasses (so maybe a psychic type?)

I was thinking the wings on Fennekin strongly resemble wings, and there really hasn't been a pegasus pokemon yet so maybe there will be a fox/pegasus hybrid. So a fire-flying?

And Chespin honestly has left me completely stumped, although its tail is very dinosaur-like so maybe it will end up being a triceratops or some kind of reptilian dragon type?

These are all just some ideas I thought I'd throw in.

Zenoah

Eevee Fan
And Chespin honestly has left me completely stumped

I see what you did there, haha!

TeamFunsparce

I am going to say this again: Froakie is obviously Ben Franklin. Look at it. Now google Ben Franklin. Now look back at Froakie. See the bifocals and the hair? See the little ruffled frock? Anyone? OK. Now, what did Ben Franklin do? He discovered electricity. Therefore, the logical typing for our amphibious founding father is water/electric.

This. I was wondering why no one had said this yet. I'd be down for a water/electric starter and am probably going to pick Froakie. Also in terms of the speculation about the three's secondary typing, I don't necessarily think they have to be in a "trifecta" like dark/psychic/fighting. Gen 1 we had grass/poision and fire/flying. Gen 3 brought water/ground and fire/fighting. Gen 4 had water/steel, grass/ground and fire/fighting. And finally Gen 5 had fire/ fighting for a dual type. From the track record it seems nintendo doesn't really care too much about the secondary typing match up, but rather just sticking with fire/water/grass and making that count. With that being said, they are doing something new, so who knows? Maybe a secondary typing trifecta will be introduced, but I don't think that it's absolutely necessary

BLABO

♧ yoo ♧
It wasn't the intention of my statement, but that is a good point! It really resembles an acorn so maybe it will grow into a huge tree, although that reminds me too much of torterra.

LokiTheGengar

Sith Lord Victorious
I think Froakie being a Water/Fighting-type would be a little too close to Poliwrath for my taste, but I can definitely see it being some kind of thief/ninja frog with a Dark-type. That'd be pretty rad. I'm usually rubbish at predicting typings though, so I'll keep that to myself for now.

This (at least, your certainty) is a joke, yes?

I' m willing to put money on it. Froakie will gain the electric type at some stage in its evolution. Also, add its name (Franklin+croak) to my reasoning.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
I don't know, that's my point. It might look like a Psychic move, but what I'm getting at: one Psychic type move was used. That doesn't mean it's a Psychic type. For all we know, it could be Pink Jizz or something.

Psychic moves of that nature (and by "that nature" I mean "suck/useless") don't have wide learnsets outside of Psychic-types, though. Most of the Pokemon who get Psybeam are Psychic, with a few Ghosts, Bugs, and Normals in the mix. Excluding the Gen I TM46, Psywave is learned almost exclusively by Psychic-types, with a handful of Ghosts and Poisons that pick it up too. Given that it's probably a Psychic-type move learned mostly by Psychic-types, predicting it to be Fire/Psychic isn't an utterly unreasonable and unfeasible guess.

Blood Red Absol

AquaMilotic's Waifu
Ok, I know I have made the duel typing points enough but I will do it again

Chespin ~ Grass/Dark
Grass: It is seen using what looks to me like solar beam against a Magikarp
Dark: and then what looks like Night Slash against a Golurk [unless it is using shadow claw but I doubt that]

Fennekin ~ Fire/Psychic
Fire: I found this one a little odd because it is using a possible flamethrower against a Munchlax.
Psychic: and then a Psywave/Confusion type attack against a Kirala.

Froakie ~ Water/Fighting
Water: It is using a Water gun/Hydro Pump type attack against a Pansear.
Fighting: The move it is using is very unclear imo, but it is a close range attack against a normal type Patrat

With the exception of Fennekin they seem to be using their appropriate attacks against pokemon that they would be strong against.
I don't think any of the starters would be duel typed, however I am almost certain that their evolutions will be.

I guess still that the inconsistency in Fennekin's debut can still add some doubt, but I think the more you watch it the more apparent it becomes.
(I REALLY want a Grass/Dark Starter... I always have! XD)

Kyris

I' m willing to put money on it. Froakie will gain the electric type at some stage in its evolution. Also, add its name (Franklin+croak) to my reasoning.

franklin+croak?...You mean how its just as easily frog+croak which gives us absolutely nothing about a possible secondary typing?

Moonrox

Shaymin Enthusiast
Psychic moves of that nature (and by "that nature" I mean "suck/useless") don't have wide learnsets outside of Psychic-types, though. Most of the Pokemon who get Psybeam are Psychic, with a few Ghosts, Bugs, and Normals in the mix. Excluding the Gen I TM46, Psywave is learned almost exclusively by Psychic-types, with a handful of Ghosts and Poisons that pick it up too. Given that it's probably a Psychic-type move learned mostly by Psychic-types, predicting it to be Fire/Psychic isn't an utterly unreasonable and unfeasible guess.

I know that it isn't unreasonable, but some people are overreacting and saying that it's confirmed, all because of one little thing.

Tavo_Zx

The Iron Man

Chespin ~ Grass/Dark
Dark: and then what looks like Night Slash against a Golurk [unless it is using shadow claw but I doubt that]

Fennekin ~ Fire/Psychic
Fire: I found this one a little odd because it is using a possible flamethrower against a Munchlax.
Psychic: and then a Psywave/Confusion type attack against a Kirala.

Froakie ~ Water/Fighting
Water: It is using a Water gun/Hydro Pump type attack against a Pansear.
Fighting: The move it is using is very unclear imo, but it is a close range attack against a normal type Patrat

With the exception of Fennekin they seem to be using their appropriate attacks against pokemon that they would be strong against.
I don't think any of the starters would be duel typed, however I am almost certain that their evolutions will be.

I guess still that the inconsistency in Fennekin's debut can still add some doubt, but I think the more you watch it the more apparent it becomes.
(I REALLY want a Grass/Dark Starter... I always have! XD)

This. I totally agree with you on this. Also their designs seem to match or seem like they can be furtherly developed to match these secondary typings.

Chespin's design: The "hood" reminds me of Scrafty. I think it has the potential to evolve into one sly motherf*cker.

Fennekin's design: It has a sleek appearance, something that quite some Psychic types have in common. Also its color scheme seems to match the typing.

Froakie's design: At first glance it doesn't give the impression that many other Fighting types give. It looks like it will analyze the situation before entering battle. Maybe if its evolutions are Water/Fighting that will change.

Moonrox

Shaymin Enthusiast

SuperStarSally

SuperStarSally
This took me by surprise, and these look great. As a side, it's good not seeing a load of rose-tinted goggle-wearers moaning and groaning about the game's art direction without acknowledging said bias.

Moonrox

Shaymin Enthusiast

R_N

Chespin ~ Grass/Dark

wellll about that "Night Slash"
http://25.media.tumblr.com/a0cfba1f86ef4163d52bae4118992f8d/tumblr_mgbmpcsDzl1qdzqu3o1_r2_250.gif

I know we're all side tracked by the purple lines but pay attention to the background. That's pretty explicitly Aerial Ace's animation and Golurk only really reacts to the background strikes
the purple lines might just represent movement

mario_fan

Kawaiibunkle
I've seen some interesting fan art of Froakie (going to be a while until I get used to that name) that compared him to the myth of the frog prince but I honestly hope he becomes a water/ psychic like pokemon that utilizes his little "glasses" (another thing why does he look so fluffy?) or the water/fighting Sha Wujing I've heard people talk about.
I'm not sure what to think about Chespin. Squirrel? Sloth? It could be the latter because I hear that moss can grow on some sloths which would explain its green cap and... Tail thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.