• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Speculation/Discussion Thread

Which starter would you use?

• Chespin

Votes: 845 26.8%
  • Fennekin

Votes: 1,329 42.2%
  • Froakie

Votes: 849 27.0%
  • NONE, Dunsparce looks better

Votes: 127 4.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Professor Squirtle

Professor of Rain
You won't have to restart that much, since its gender ratio will probably be 87.5% male and 12.5% female as it has always been.

Thanks for the free competitive Pokémon class xD. I used to battle but I was never really good at it.
Like anything, it takes a large amount of investment and practice. If you're busy with other forms of research, then competitive Pokemon battling (in addition to its unsavory community in comparison with the casual Pokemon community) is not ideal for the focus of a Pokemon fan. It also ruins the images of your once favorite Pokemon because they are unable to be used in the competitive environment. But as you humans would say... "no... problem"

Ironfish

pokemon scientist
If my analyses are offensive I apologize. I have retained utter civility throughout all of my educational arguments. And also, I would never waste honey on Combees; Vespiquen is severely weak to Stealth Rock among other things which make it of little practical utility to any hopeful competitive team.
you know what I'm trying to say

dman_dustin

Nobody's arguing that they personally think the advantage/disadvantage between the starters matters. But every single past generation has been made up by starters that have somewhat equal advantages and disadvantages to the other starters, so if somebody wants to make a prediction for what they think the typing will be (not necessarily what they want it to be), then they should take advantages and disadvantages into account because that's what the designers of the starters are most likely taking into account.

I can understand that but why not give the starters what ever type seems interesting?

Why focus on the other starters when making a starter?

All that should matter, is one is Grass, one is fire, and one is water.

Let the Pokémon be whatever it can be, so that maybe it can be different.

Charizard for example was doubly effective against Venusaur (not that there was any good flying types move in 1st gen for Charizard), and I believe Swampert was doubly effective against Blaziken. And you could argue that Emboar has a semi-advantage being dual types, with being able to learn a water type and an electric type move.

Professor Squirtle

Professor of Rain
You're not alone there I will also be using a male Fennekin. I see Fennekin like I see Torchic can be either male or female.
You probably won't have to restart once then. Like all starters, this will also share the 87.5% chance of being male (Unless otherwise stated by Gamefreak).

Flame Haji

Ground Gym Leader
Its Strange, when I first saw Fennekin, it scream female to me, just by its looks. But now I see it as a male lol XD so whatever :p.

dman_dustin

You know what? I think I will restart until I get a male Fennekin. That's right, I'm a rebel!
I'm not.

I'm going for female Fennekin, if I choose Fennekin over Froakie, I'm still undecided.

But I agree with the other posters, I'm the one who's going to take awhile getting a female one, unless I get extremely lucky.

Edit: But I haven't chose a fire type the longest. I chose Chimchar in Diamond, Turtwig in Platinum, Totodile in HeartGold, Oshawott in White, and Snivy in Black 2.

Professor Squirtle

Professor of Rain
Its Strange, when I first saw Fennekin, it scream female to me, just by its looks. But now I see it as a male lol XD so whatever :p.
Perhaps this speaks to the parts of our minds that treat males as tools and females as precious ornaments. Fennekin looks dainty, small and neotenous with plenty of embellishments.To me it doesn't really possess much feminine appeal. In fact, I see it as, well, a fox.

Last edited:

Raguna

Magikarp. The best.
I really hope the ratio stays the same. But still, I swear I always get female starters for some reason. I swear I had to restart three times to get a male Oshawott in White... (didn't want a female pokémon with a stache xD), and I just settled with my female Snivy in White 2. Also had to restart to get a male treecko on emerald, and had a female Mudkip on my first run of Ruby. The only gen I got male first time was second, really.

Flame Haji

Ground Gym Leader
Perhaps this speaks to the parts of our minds that treat males as tools and females as precious ornaments. Fennekin looks dainty, small and neotenous with plenty of embellishments. T to To me it doesn't really possess much feminine appeal. In fact, I see it as, well, a fox.
Well I mean....I see it as a fox to....its not like I see it as a human or anything, but I know pokemon have two genders and I normally look at a pokemon before I catch it and think, do I want this to be male or female. And I thought Fennekin as a female, so I wanted to have it as one (if I were to get it as one).

dman_dustin

Perhaps this speaks to the parts of our minds that treat males as tools and females as precious ornaments. Fennekin looks dainty, small and neotenous with plenty of embellishments.To me it doesn't really possess much feminine appeal. In fact, I see it as, well, a fox.

When I think of Fennekin as female.

I'm thinking about those old looney tunes where a character was clearly feminine as the other looney tune character (was male) tried to woo it.

I don't think feminine really can apply to a human outside of males (as more of an insult).

Since calling a woman feminine, would be kind of redundant.

When I look at animals who are known to be either male or female, I kind of look at them and think they are feminine or masculine in some fashion. It's very weird. I agree.

Thomas Elliot

I AM HUSH
I still enjoy the Water/Electric combination possibility here. There are two Pokemon in existence with that typing and they were introduced over a decade ago. Usually each Gen there is at least one starter that just doesn't do it for me, with the exception of Gen I. Wasn't a fan of Chikorita, Torchic, Chimchar or any of the Gen 5 starters. I guess looking back on it, I am more of a Grass guy. Bulbasaur was my first, and for the most part they have come out with Grass starters I have enjoyed (I'm looking at you Snivy).
But depending upon the typing, if they bring out Water/Electric and his evolution looks good, they may just have me.

Professor Squirtle

Professor of Rain
When I think of Fennekin as female.

I'm thinking about those old looney tunes where a character was clearly feminine as the other looney tune character (was male) tried to woo it.

I don't think feminine really can apply to a human outside of males (as more of an insult).

Since calling a woman feminine, would be kind of redundant.

When I look at animals who are known to be either male or female, I kind of look at them and think they are feminine or masculine in some fashion. It's very weird. I agree.
I try to avoid identifying these things based on my outdated evolutionary impulse that implicitly places bias for or against an image depending on its neotenous and feminine appearance, as well as the utterly useless contemporary social paradigms which dictate ancient gender functions. I can't place blame on other humans who suffer from this same gender-bias impulse. It even begets us in identifying Pokemon who are otherwise mostly male. Maybe I'm alone in seeing this as a persistent issue among mankind.

By the way, for the record, since there are such nuances in gender as masculine women, there are definitely feminine women. It is not redundant, so you did nothing wrong.

Last edited:

Akwakwak

I'm hungry
I wonder if Chespin will develop any reptilian features, since every grass type has been a reptile/dinosaur. Right now Chespin looks like a brown Dewott mixed with a Drillbur wearing Bianca's hat. I'm not bashing it, I like it I just don't see how its a reptile. Unless GF wants to switch it up.

GildedScizor

The drinking bird
Definitely better than Gen 5's starters I'd say, but as I've only just seen them, they still may take a while to adjust to. Chepsin in particular, to me looks like Oshawatt painted to look like some kind of tree,. The other two I'm fairly comfortable with already, leaning slightly more towards Froakie as Fennekin looks similar to a Fire Type Zorua, but we'll see. They certainly look like natural starters. I've always wanted a Frog Pokemon (Toxicroak doesn't really count for me), I just hope the evolution of it doesn't look too monstruous.

dman_dustin

I wonder if Chespin will develop any reptilian features, since every grass type has been a reptile/dinosaur. Right now Chespin looks like a brown Dewott mixed with a Drillbur wearing Bianca's hat. I'm not bashing it, I like it I just don't see how its a reptile. Unless GF wants to switch it up.

I keep thinking that as "ha, ha" moment from Gamefreak.

Develop reptilian features when it evolves so that the grass starter does retain a reptilian theme the other 5 grass starters had.

Either way, I don't think Chespin's tail is normal for a mammal. I'm hoping it's tail, is just a "grass-type" reference and not necessarily related to it's animal origins.

Status
Not open for further replies.