• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Speculation/Discussion Thread

Which starter would you use?

• Chespin

Votes: 845 26.8%
  • Fennekin

Votes: 1,329 42.2%
  • Froakie

Votes: 849 27.0%
  • NONE, Dunsparce looks better

Votes: 127 4.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
I just realized something about Fennekin!!
Its name comes from the Arabic word فنك ((fanak)), which means desert fox

I'm so proud of us, we finally made it into pokemon *STARTED TO SHED MANLY TEARS*

Fennekin actually came from "fennec fox"
But regardless, both are the same species.

msiew10

guess, reptile can't survive in cold european climate, notice how there are no species of snakes, tortoise, lizard and crocodile in the cold north ?

Their Frog though despite being cold-blooded.

Flame Haji

Ground Gym Leader
Definitely, and that was Head Honchkrow's analysis and theory. Froakie's possible Water/Dark evolution sounds exciting to me. So perhaps Fennekin really will be Fire/Psychic if he plays the magician role, which leaves the warrior to Chespin, which would make Grass/Fighting sound fitting.
There has only been one Grass/Fighting type so that would be cool by me, that or Grass/Dark.

And it would make it so Water/Dark beats Fire/Psychic which beats Grass/Fighting which beats Water/Dark. That works.

msiew10

Could be a Glyptodon, we have yet to see pokemon that truly look like pleistocene and Miocene animal such as Smilodon, Ground Sloth, Elasmontherium, Indrotherium etc

O wait, we have Mamoswine (Mammoth), Slaking (Ground Sloth or Gigantopithecus), maybe saber tooth cat (Raikou)

I think it is because of that , that is why fennekin exist and they want a non-legendary Fire/Psychic type to be readily available and do not have to resort to darmanitian Zen Mode or Victini.

I dun think that they will use Dark type of Chespin, because when you look at all Grass starter that have dual type -

Venusaur - Poison, Torterra - Ground, They have fewer weakness than before.

Flame Haji

Ground Gym Leader
I think it is because of that , that is why fennekin exist and they want a non-legendary Fire/Psychic type to be readily available and do not have to resort to darmanitian Zen Mode or Victini.

I dun think that they will use Dark type of Chespin, because when you look at all Grass starter that have dual type -

Venusaur - Poison, Torterra - Ground, They have fewer weakness than before.

Chikorita and Treecko would like to say hi....

msiew10

Ghost and Dark type are move that are seldom used, so it does not matter if Fennekin is a Psychic type.

what do you mean lol

Rock type stab such as stone edge or rock slide tend to compensate for it weakness toward bug.

The Fire type seem to have a zodiac represenation -

1st Gen - Dragon

2nd Gen - Mouse (Cyndaquil is a mouse pokemon)

3rd Gen - Rooster

4th Gen - Monkey

5th Gen - Pig

6th Gen - Dog (Foxes are canine)

Last edited:

Watchog

Lv. 50
Froaki: Water/Ice? Chespin: Grass/Normal? Fennikin: Fire/Psychic?

Normal > Psychic = Neutral
Normal > Ice = Neutral
Psychic > Normal = Neutral
Psychic > Ice = Neutral
Ice > Normal = Neutral
Ice > Psychic = Neutral

Still, The issue would be, Between Froakie and Fennekin. Froakie is ok, Most (If not all) Water types learn ice moves.

Lulu_used_SunnyDay

Petal Blizzard
I have to say I like all three of them, but for me the escalation is Chespin > Fennekin > Froakie.

Fennekin is absolutely adorable and cute and fluffy, Froakie has that "neat" feel about him (even though it looks too much like a Seismitoad pre-evo), but Chespin is the most INTERESTING, design-wise. And I love his little hat :D
I really like the fact that it's so different from every other grass starter we've already had.

But of course I'll wait to see the evos before choosing. I have high hopes for these three because they look very, very good.

I haven't been this excited since generation 3 came out.All the starters look awesome.If I had to chose it will be the hedgehog Chespin.Chespin looks like it will be a grass/dark type,Fennekin looks like it will be Fire/psychic and froakie looks like it will be between water/fighting or water/electric due to the clouds around him.

Flame Haji

Ground Gym Leader
I know!What if Chespin evolves into a griffin hedgehog?Grass/Flying anyone?huh?
o_O that would be something, but I hope you are kidding lol XD he does not scream any part of a griffin lol.

Zero38

Self-made
I just realized something about Fennekin!!
Its name comes from the Arabic word فنك ((fanak)), which means desert fox

I'm so proud of us, we finally made it into pokemon *STARTED TO SHED MANLY TEARS*

Not only that, The fennec fox actually can be found in Kuwait :D Feels so good (and they're cute)

Now I know why I loved it instantly at the the first glance :3

It all depends on stats and evolutions, but Froakie as of now.
The.poll is a bit ironic because I used Dunsparce as a starter replacement in B2W2. It was quite useful with its Coil and Return.

AmericanDreamer

I'm guessing Froakie is going to evolve into some sort of scholarly looking thing. Maybe even a sort of a wizard. The foam-hair thing he's got going creates bifocals and something reminiscent of a powdered wig. I could totally see him gaining scholarly robes as he evolves, his glasses becoming more defined, maybe even something like a scepter.

Mr SPYDA

YES! YES! YES!
Not only that, The fennec fox actually can be found in Kuwait :D Feels so good (and they're cute)

Now I know why I loved it instantly at the the first glance :3

It can be found in all of the gulf coast countries + the Sahara in north Africa which pretty much make him an Arabian animal :D

Nacreous

Fire trainer
So,has the snowflake in the water gun discussion subsided?Cuz I have a theory...what if it's the cold version of Scald?80 power Water attack with a 30% chance of freezing the opponent...

Status
Not open for further replies.