• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Speculation/Discussion Thread

Which starter would you use?

• Chespin

Votes: 845 26.8%
  • Fennekin

Votes: 1,329 42.2%
  • Froakie

Votes: 849 27.0%
  • NONE, Dunsparce looks better

Votes: 127 4.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Crimson Penguin

Marchin' on
That won't happen..why..Toterra

Didn't stop Game Freak from doing Fire/Fighting three generations in a row (you could argue that Blaziken, Infernape, and Emboar all have different stat distributions, but you get my point). Thankfully Fennekin doesn't seem like it'll go down that route, but you never know...

Tavo_Zx

The Iron Man
Didn't stop Game Freak from doing Fire/Fighting three generations in a row (you could argue that Blaziken, Infernape, and Emboar all have different stat distributions, but you get my point). Thankfully Fennekin doesn't seem like it'll go down that route, but you never know...

I'm pretty sure Fire/Fighting starters are over. Fennekin will be, IMO, either pure Fire, Fire/Ground or Fire/Psychic.

Takaru

Werk, Werk, Werk
Why don't I see any Frog Prince art for its final evolution, they're all making him bulky and to much. I can see it now, the design that Infernape and Emboar both have could be designed to resemble a chest plate, that foam could be a wonderful cape. The fighting type would suit him, and it fits with the French theme since Monarchy is very important to Europe.

FennekinFan

Does anyone else think it might be nice to see some new abilities for the starters? I would like to see more varied abilities given to them rather than leaving them with Blaze et al., not counting the hidden abilities.

Does anyone else think it might be nice to see some new abilities for the starters? I would like to see more varied abilities given to them rather than leaving them with Blaze et al., not counting the hidden abilities.

That would be cool, but I can't see them having super amazing abilities since they are the Pokemon who start the games. I can see maybe chloraphyll, swift swim, and flame body. Nothing horribly impressive, but it would make them different than the other starters.

Poetry

Dancing Mad

This isn't actually a terrible idea. I've found that the current abilities rarely help me in-battle and it would make a nice change to have something useful for once. They would have to be direct variations of each other, though to prevent bias.

This isn't actually a terrible idea. I've found that the current abilities rarely help me in-battle and it would make a nice change to have something useful for once. They would have to be direct variations of each other, though to prevent bias.

I would love to see new abilities for the main 3 Starters

Foam doesn't neccesarily comes from soap. A cappuccino has steam-milked foam on top, and there is foam on top of a beer. Froakie has as much chance of being a frog soap as the one it has of being a drunken frog.

I just stated facts, it has foam on its back. Foam comes from soap, and yes foam can come from more things like coffee, beer or even a fire extinguisher for that matter. It being a water type and being the colour blue obv refers to water itself, not coffee or beer. Then again, I said that it COULD be a soap frog, I never said that it IS a frog soap. It was just a theory with plausible arguments.

And to nitpick, no it does not have as much chance as a drunken frog, it has more chance to be a frog soap. You know just as good as I that Nintendo could never create an intoxicated pokemon c:

FennekinFan

I agree that the current ones are almost useless in battle (not sure how they would work competitively as I don't battle competitively).

I'm sort of thinking that *potential* new abilities may rely on the secondary typing of the pokemon as it looks likely that this will be the first gen in which they will all have secondary types. (not sure if this is right off of the top of my head though!)

Poetry

Dancing Mad
I agree that the current ones are almost useless in battle (not sure how they would work competitively as I don't battle competitively).

I'm sort of thinking that *potential* new abilities may rely on the secondary typing of the pokemon as it looks likely that this will be the first gen in which they will all have secondary types. (not sure if this is right off of the top of my head though!)

Gen IV had all starters having secondary types.

Sinnoh's starters' first stages didn't have secondary types, but their final forms all did.

Takaru

Werk, Werk, Werk
I always found animals that carry their babies in sacs on any part of their body really skin crawling >_<

MetalFlygon08

Haters Gonna Hate
I just stated facts, it has foam on its back. Foam comes from soap, and yes foam can come from more things like coffee, beer or even a fire extinguisher for that matter. It being a water type and being the colour blue obv refers to water itself, not coffee or beer. Then again, I said that it COULD be a soap frog, I never said that it IS a frog soap. It was just a theory with plausible arguments.

And to nitpick, no it does not have as much chance as a drunken frog, it has more chance to be a frog soap. You know just as good as I that Nintendo could never create an intoxicated pokemon c:

not to nitnitpick, but spinda was kinda based on drunken panda style fighting...

Soda Pop

I'm glad the Fire starter is my favourite. Hasn't been since the Torchic line.

I'm hoping Fennekin is part psychic, probably already been discussed, but it did look like the one shown in the trailer used some sort of psychic move against Kirlia.

Tavo_Zx

The Iron Man

Oh I'm sorry. It is just that I actually don't see Froakie being based on frog soap, that is why I made that little remark at the end. It is almost impossible for GF to make a drunken Pokémon.

I don't think that it is based on a frog soap. This is because the foam on its back is more likely to be the representation of the bubbles some frogs have on thier back or the eggs that some carry there to protect them than just being foam from a soap. But yeah, we know next to nothing about the starters so lets not get into an argument due to speculation.

Rhonder

Trust me, those starter abilities aren't any better in competitive play, if not worse xD;; But yeah, new abilities would certainly be a welcome change. I also agree with whoever said that they should be equivalent to each other though, just like the current starter abilities are. off the top of my head, they could do Flash Fire, Sap Sipper, and Water Absorb or Storm Drain if they wanted to. though I'm not sure if that'd make them "too good" or not. And also if those abilities would actually fit the pokemon. This seems to be another case where knowing the typing and evolutions would help quite a lot.

Oh I'm sorry. It is just that I actually don't see Froakie being based on frog soap, that is why I made that little remark at the end. It is almost impossible for GF to make a drunken Pokémon.

I don't think that it is based on a frog soap. This is because the foam on its back is more likely to be the representation of the bubbles some frogs have on thier back or the eggs that some carry there to protect them than just being foam from a soap. But yeah, we know next to nothing about the starters so lets not get into an argument due to speculation.

It's cool. I just reacted a bit harsh due to you throwing my theory away which had arguments. I agree that we can speculate forever since Gamefreak still does whatever it wants. But I noticed everyone talking about the grass and fire starters origin so I figured to figure out one for Froakie. And for the record, your opinion of it being eggs is also more than plausible.

Tavo_Zx

The Iron Man
It's cool. I just reacted a bit harsh due to you throwing my theory away which had arguments. I agree that we can speculate forever since Gamefreak still does whatever it wants. But I noticed everyone talking about the grass and fire starters origin so I figured to figure out one for Froakie. And for the record, your opinion of it being eggs is also more than plausible.

Ok, so now that that is settled, what do you think Froakie's typing will be. It has generated quite some debate in this thread already. My bet is that it will be Water/Fighting.

Status
Not open for further replies.