• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Speculation/Discussion Thread

Which starter would you use?

• Chespin

Votes: 845 26.8%
  • Fennekin

Votes: 1,329 42.2%
  • Froakie

Votes: 849 27.0%
  • NONE, Dunsparce looks better

Votes: 127 4.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Emily101

Froakie Trainer
Am I the only one who sees Chespin becoming Grass/Fighting? I say this based on it's design and the fact it is based on a horse chestnut or 'conker' as they are called in the UK which are used to 'fight' each other by tying a string through them and swinging them at each other in turns. It would be a nice change for the Grass starter to pick up a Fighting type along the way. I think Fennekin will pick up the Psychic type and I see Froakie staying as pure Water or Water/Dark.

Torchic's family gained the secondary Fighting-type because of the idea of ****-fighting. Chickens can't fly long distances, hence the lack of Flying-type. By your logic, bird-like Pokémon should all fly.

There is no reason to say that Fennekin won't be part Ground-type, or that it won't be part Psychic-type. It's all up in the air...

Well, almost all bird-like Pokemon do fly. But I don't think that means that all bird-like PokeMon will be part-Flying types--that's what I'm arguing.

I'm just saying that there's no real reason to assume Fennekin will end up being a Fire/Ground type based on empirical observation of fennec foxes (which seems to be your argument as well, which is why I'm confused about why you've taken issue with what I've said). However, that being said, I don't think you can readily claim its all up in the air. Fennekin seems to (pretty clearly) use a Psychic attack in the teaser trailer, and I'm more inclined to consider that evidence than speculation. That's all I meant to say, and I don't mean to come across as nit-picky.

If Froakie is water/fighting, he would be the first of that combo, right?

The third, actually--we haven't had a non-legendary Water/Fighting type since Poliwrath, and Keldeo was also Water/Fighting.

adamfitz

poké-lover
Yes I can really see chespin beconeing a fighting type
But as I said before, knowing GF nobody knows

pokemonbw01

Who's the daddy? Me!
Doesn't the way of showing the pokemon in the link seem like it is the real Froakie's evolution. If so, then without any doubt, it is Water/ Fighting.

Link

Tavo_Zx

The Iron Man
Yes I can really see chespin beconeing a fighting type
But as I said before, knowing GF nobody knows

I still think of Chespin as being focused on defense more than attack, so I don't picture it as a Grass/Fighting or Grass/Dark. I think he might end up being Grass/Steel by the time of its final evolution, with the green thing on its head, back and tail becoming a spiked armor.

Doesn't the way of showing the pokemon in the link seem like it is the real Froakie's evolution. If so, then without any doubt, it is Water/ Fighting.

Link

While it might use a similar presentation style, the artwork doesn't seem to match very well with Sugimori style used for official PokeMon art. This is just some very well done fanart. There's no reason to presume we'll learn about any evolutions for a while--it's possible that, because the game has a global release date instead of a staggered release, we won't know anything about any Generation VI Pokemon until October.

Takaru

Werk, Werk, Werk
Lord have mercy on me if that's what it would look like, GF needs to throw that damn all Water-types need to be bulky monsters out the window, its fan-artist as well.

Nacreous

Fire trainer
Hello there, I may be new here but actually I've been lurking around since the IV Gen got revealed. I just can't remember my username lol.
And here I am yet again for the discussion of a new Gen.

Back to topic, I freaking love all the three starters. Chespin being my favourite cause I've always chosen the grass starter since Bulbasaur.

Also just wanna point out something regarding the starter Fennekin.

Notice the so-called three lines on Fenne's head?

fennekin-action.jpg

I don't know why but it kinda reminds me of this;

tumblr_mc99u0UzIT1roiusxo1_500.jpg

The three patterns on her head looked familiar?

Sakuyamon, being the Mega level of Renamon (a Fox digimon similar to Fennekin) is described as a Shaman Digimon. Shaman=Psychic lol

Just my two cents though, to add the the whole Fennekin final evo being Fire/Psychic.

Also Chespin reminds me of these guys lol;

20100128-00000000-lisn-musi-view-000-211x300.jpg

I could see Fennekin following the shaman route...

adamfitz

poké-lover
I still think of Chespin as being focused on defense more than attack, so I don't picture it as a Grass/Fighting or Grass/Dark. I think he might end up being Grass/Steel by the time of its final evolution, with the green thing on its head, back and tail becoming a spiked armor.

Yes I think he will be based on defence

Aura Flare Riolu

Cutest Riolu around!

So basically it's another Ferrothorn...If it gets Spikes then...oh boy.

FennekinFan

I don't think any of this generations starters are going to be focused purely on defense, not saying that they will not have good defenses though.

german suplex

hipster chespin

Cool, could be like someone mentioned in the thread earlier.

A MEDIEVAL theme for their final evos!

Chespin - Knight
Fennekin - Mage
Froakie - Thief

lol

willda

Fire starter
I'm actually Really curious what the new starters dream world abilities will be. Will they be already existing ones like magic gaurd fennekin, defiant chespin, and swift swim froakie? Or entirely new abilities?,

Aura Flare Riolu

Cutest Riolu around!
I'm interested in seeing what their hidden abilities will be. Their regular abilities are obviously going to be Overgrow, Blaze and Torrent respectively. But I wonder what their hidden ones will be? We probably need to see their final evolutions for that.

EDIT: Goddammit I was beaten to it.

Tavo_Zx

The Iron Man
So basically it's another Ferrothorn...If it gets Spikes then...oh boy.

Yeah. I do see it getting Spikes due to it being based on a hedgehog. If it ends up as Grass/Steel, Fennekin as a Fire/Psychic and Froakie as Water/Fighting by the time of their final evos the starters would actually be somewhat balanced.

willda

Fire starter
Lol what abilities do you think are likely?

I'm interested in seeing what their hidden abilities will be. Their regular abilities are obviously going to be Overgrow, Blaze and Torrent respectively. But I wonder what their hidden ones will be? We probably need to see their final evolutions for that.

EDIT: Goddammit I was beaten to it.

I have a feeling the roles of these starters will be much more similar to Generations II and IV--

Chespin will fill the role of the Physical Attacker/Wall (such as the Feraligatr and Torterra)
Fennekin will fill the role of the Special Attacker/Wall (such as Maganium and Empoleon)
Froakie will fill the role of the Mixed Sweeper (such as Typhlosion and Infernape)

Status
Not open for further replies.