• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Speculation/Discussion Thread

Which starter would you use?

• Chespin

Votes: 845 26.8%
  • Fennekin

Votes: 1,329 42.2%
  • Froakie

Votes: 849 27.0%
  • NONE, Dunsparce looks better

Votes: 127 4.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually the second attack looks more like a Normal type move. If it was a Psychic move or an Electric move it would probably have a color that represents each type (pinkish purple and yellow respectively).

I think it may have been Fury Swipes, judging by the sound of the attack and the fact that in the animation Froakie seems to hit Patrat twice.

Watching it yet again I really think it is an electrical attack, you can clearly see blue sparks around the attacked Pokemon, but there's no way of being sure. That animation looks a lot like the Zen Headbutt one, but it probably isn't since there isn't an actual headbutt.

Chepsin's second attack (first seems like Solarbeam) looks like X-Scissor, or maybe Fury Cutter, both Bug-type.... We never had a Grass/Bug started before did we? I'd still prefer if they were a bit more creative though.

They can be new attacks though. I'm not sure. Either way, I can't wait to find out more about the game.

Ver-mont

WHen Tepig was revealed most of us thought it would be AGAIN a Fire/Fighting type, hence the Oshawott popularity over it.

I must confess I believed it would be Fire/Ground or something, being a pig. But they turned even that into a fighter.

RoninOtterai

Watching it yet again I really think it is an electrical attack, you can clearly see blue sparks around the attacked Pokemon, but there's no way of being sure. That animation looks a lot like the Zen Headbutt one, but it probably isn't since there isn't an actual headbutt.

Chepsin's second attack (first seems like Solarbeam) looks like X-Scissor, or maybe Fury Cutter, both Bug-type.... We never had a Grass/Bug started before did we? I'd still prefer if they were a bit more creative though.

They can be new attacks though. I'm not sure. Either way, I can't wait to find out more about the game.

I'll LOL if Fennekin becomes a boxing fox...

Thunderfox

I've seen a fair amount of people think the Froakie line could be Frog-Prince based. It would make sense, but we've had a royalty based water starter before in the Piplup line, plus the Snivy line last gen. By fairness Fennekin should have some sort of royal or noble theme going on. While Infernape was based off of the Monkey King, he didn't really have the regal design of Empoleon or Serperior.

Of course we have gotten 3 generations of fire/fighting so Gamefreak doesn't mind repeating themes

Aurath8

WHen Tepig was revealed most of us thought it would be AGAIN a Fire/Fighting type, hence the Oshawott popularity over it.

Huh, I remember people thinking it would be anything but Fire/Fighting considering we already had Infernape and Blaziken. Funnily enough they also predicted that we'd get Fire/Dark, Water/Fighting and Grass/Psychic starters back then.

rocky505

Huh, I remember people thinking it would be anything but Fire/Fighting considering we already had Infernape and Blaziken. Funnily enough they also predicted that we'd get Fire/Dark, Water/Fighting and Grass/Psychic starters back then.
You're correct along with the Grass/Dragon for Snivy.

Amphy11

I really like Fennekin and Froaki, Chespin you can keep. Thought that's about par for the course for me. I haven't Liked a Grass starter since Chickorita line.

Nacreous

Fire trainer

Umm...jumping to conclusions...seriously.Chespin's attack is prob Aerial Ace

Fennekin's attack is some Psychic type move and Froakie's is prob a Normal or Fighting type attack.Big whoop.

Ungoliath

Not a GenWunner
I must confess I believed it would be Fire/Ground or something, being a pig. But they turned even that into a fighter.
This was the first trailer and there you just can't see the typing which lead us to just guess without any proper hint rather than its shape. I also hoped it was a Fire/Ground, but by that time the opinion were just too strong and lead to disappointing gen rather than anything else and dragged me into it. ;_;

@Zalman: This time we have moves that are not related to the primary type. And even the other two cases being somewhat suspicious, we can firmly say that Fennekin is using a Psychic attack. Also, please check when ANY Fire Starter learns a Psychic attack (Notice that I say attack instead of Move)

Last edited:

Tavo_Zx

The Iron Man

I watched the trailer again and paused it at the attack. The blue "saprks" don't actually look like sparks, they look more like they are an effect to show that the attack is hitting the Patrat, rather than to show it is an electric attack. So I still think it is Fury Swipes

I think that the second attack Chespin used is probably a new move.

rocky505

Why is there an image with Fire shooting out of Fennekin's butt in that image on the top right lol

@Ungoliath- Cyndaquil learns Extrasensory. Infernape learns calm mind.

Last edited:

Kai-zero

Trains All Types
Choosing Fennekin as my first starter unless it, again, becomes a Fire/Fighting. Then I'll probably choose between Froakie and Chespin based on what the first 2-4 Gym types are.

Really hoping for some unique type combinations this Gen.

To be honest though I also wouldn't care if all three simply went the way of the 2nd Gen starters and stayed pure Water/Fire/Grass throughout their evolutions. It would still be preferable to another Fire/Fighting.

Ver-mont

To be honest though I also wouldn't care if all three simply went the way of the 2nd Gen starters and stayed pure Water/Fire/Grass throughout their evolutions. It would still be preferable to another Fire/Fighting.

My thoughts exactly (but naturally, we'd all choose a nice fresh combination over that).

Aurath8

Deviantart is pretty much this right now.
[spoil]
fennekin__fennekin_everywhere_by_xxcystalthewolfxx-d5qy9q2.png
[/spoil]

1. Get a fox.
2. Make it a pokemon.
3. ???
4. Profit.

You're correct along with the Grass/Dragon for Snivy.

Indeed. I think I remember some Fire/Flying suggestions with Tepig somehow using it's tail to bounce around. I really hope these starters are more like the DP starters in terms of type stats and movepool. They were all arguably the best choices of their respective types and along with Hoenn are the only set of starters I'd gladly all use. BW starters, while still good designs, really fell flat here. If you're going to give them to everybody they might as well be good.

Tavo_Zx

The Iron Man
Lame? Chespin looks just as good the other starters.

Does anyone reckon whether any of the starters could turn out to be any good competitively?

At this stage the three of them have potential, since we don't know their evolutions, typings, stats, movesets, etc. Maybe the three of them will be competitive monsters, maybe just one, or maybe all will go to the depths of NU. Nobody knows, apart from Gamefreak.

adamfitz

poké-lover
I think the second attack of
Froakie was quick attack
Chespin was fury swipes or x scissor (didn't look like a dark attack)
Fennekin was psychic

And for all we know they may have nothing to do with the final evolved forms.

Status
Not open for further replies.