• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Speculation/Discussion Thread

Which starter would you use?

• Chespin

Votes: 845 26.8%
  • Fennekin

Votes: 1,329 42.2%
  • Froakie

Votes: 849 27.0%
  • NONE, Dunsparce looks better

Votes: 127 4.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lightning Dragon

LIGHTNING FLIGHT!!!!
Indeed. This gen has really interesting starters. All of them have a lot of potential. Just want to see how they will turn out to look like, and also what their typing will be. And, unless they screw Fennekin REALLY bad (NO. MORE. FIGHTING/FIRE. STARTERS. THANKS.), he is going to be my partner.

They do, but I'm also choosing Fennekin for my partner.

....unless if the evolutions prove otherwise, OR, Fennekin's fire/fight. because I never loved Emboar. Never will. /shot
But, if I say, Chespin almost looks either Grass/Dark, or Grass/Ground <.>

Raguna

Magikarp. The best.
Yeah and probably it is going to be
But we have to wait for the confirmation

I also saw someone posting:maybe fire/bug
*PAAALMMMMFACEEE*

Fire bug. Seems legit. Remember the last time you stepped in that pesky Fennec Fox look-alike bug? (Seriously, how could he say that? Makes no sense!)

But, all jokes aside, I would love Fire/Psychic, but since GameFreak likes playing tricks on us, I'd like to wait and see...

BunniBear4

Pokémon Trainer
The more I see the attack, the more I think it is a Psychic type move. When Fennekin uses the Fire type move (possibly Flamethrower) the battlefield takes a fiery red and orange color. The battle field suddenly takes a pinkish purple color when Fennekin launches the second attack, which might be an indicator of the move's type, and the type that is associated with that color is Psychic.

You honestly made me go back to look at the trailer for Chespin and Froakie about this. Chespin's solar beam gets a bit brighter and a tad greener, while the second attack has a black background, red x, and bits of black, purple, and whit slashing. For Froakie the first attack becomes a water like blue, while the second attack just has him hitting Patrat is with black and electric blue showing.

ilimitz3

Do not count on it
they'll revealve then probably in 7-8moths

ilimitz3

I'll choose chespin cause I love dewott and he looks like it, and it's since treecko that i picked a grass starter :D

Raguna

Magikarp. The best.
They do, but I'm also choosing Fennekin for my partner.

....unless if the evolutions prove otherwise, OR, Fennekin's fire/fight. because I never loved Emboar. Never will. /shot
But, if I say, Chespin almost looks either Grass/Dark, or Grass/Ground <.>

For Fennekin, I can only ask: NO FIRE/FIGHTING, STAY QUADRUPEDAL! And, I mean, Fennekin is around for three days and he is already on his way to rule the Internet. He's just a beast like that!
And, yeah, I can see Chespin being Grass/Dark, but not Grass/Ground as much.

BunniBear4

Pokémon Trainer
Well CoroCoro is in 5 days and will likely be leaked in less. Let's see what they have to offer. They could maybe give us some new information... Or they could totally just repeat everything that's known currently.

Well CoroCoro is in 5 days and will likely be leaked in less. Let's see what they have to offer. They could maybe give us some new information... Or they could totally just repeat everything that's known currently.

I could see us getting typings perhaps, but sadly I can't see us getting evolutions any time soon :/. Or as you said, we'll just get everything repeated to us. Hopefully corocoro will give us a closer look at the girl protagonist.

Raguna

Magikarp. The best.

Somehow, I see the latter more likely to be true. But maybe I'm wrong. Hopefully I'm wrong...

BunniBear4

Pokémon Trainer
Yeah, better looks as the girl protagonist and typings are all we can wish for that could actually be possible at this point.

Last edited:

Happy Hydreigon

Kahuna Mikah
I think knowing the history of Pokemon reavealing.I think first Route Pokemon including Regional Bird will be realeased in the next 2 weeks or so

spiller

I could see us getting typings perhaps, but sadly I can't see us getting evolutions any time soon :/. Or as you said, we'll just get everything repeated to us. Hopefully corocoro will give us a closer look at the girl protagonist.
i hope they show us the legendary pokemons artwork or the new player characters pokemons artwork. sorry for going off topic

Manafi's Dream

フェアリータイプタイム
You're right. My bad. I stand corrected then.

BUT my reasoning still remains: There is no Fire Type yet that learns a Psychic move by level up. Fennekin seems to be a clear dual type in this trailer (As well as the other, with more hard-to-guess moves)

Correction: Vulpix learns Extrasensory by level up. Though, I will say, that move the unmistakable appearance of a Psychic type move.

My analysis of the moves in the video:
Chespin
-Solarbeam
-Night Slash(not Aerial Ace, because Aerial Ace's animation includes two vertical slashes, one downward and the second upward; the move's animation had two downward vertical slashes)
Fennekin
-Flamethrower
-Confusion
Froakie
-Water Gun
-Scratch/Slash/Fury Swipes

GoldCyndaquil

Shiny Hunter
Do not count on it
they'll revealve then probably in 7-8moths

So you think they expect us to wait until the games' release to see the starters' evolutions? Sorry, but it's 99% likely that you're wrong. This is a new gen, they're going to want to create as much hype as possible. I'm not expecting them to be revealed when CoroCoro is released/leaked in a couple of days, but definitely earlier than 7-8 months.

BunniBear4

Pokémon Trainer
Correction: Vulpix learns Extrasensory by level up. Though, I will say, that move the unmistakable appearance of a Psychic type move.

Chespin
-Solarbeam
-Night Slash(not Aerial Ace, because Aerial Ace's animation includes two vertical slashes, one downward and the second upward; the move's animation had two downward vertical slashes)
Fennekin
-Flamethrower
-Confusion
Froakie
-Water Gun

Change water gun to the new move that's the freeze version of scald I completely agree with this. I'm still hung up on that snowflake in it and I probably will be until it's revealed to be a new move or while playing the game I find out it is. If I didn't love Fennekin so much I'd probably pick Froakie if we don't find info on it before release.

SharpedoSteve

Sink/Swim
I'm picking Chespin for sure, fell in love with the little dude as soon as he popped up in the trailer :D I can see how some people can see it's resemblance to Dewott/Oshawott but for me that isn't a bad thing since i loved the whole evolution line (The only other line i fully loved was the Squirtle line)

I have no idea what he could become in his final stage, the first thought i had was part Fighting then went to part Dark. Not too sure which one i would prefer out of those :S maybe Grass/Dark since i'm pretty much a part dark type trainer but the weaknesses he would get would suck. One idea i saw I'm starting to like alot more and that is Grass/Rock, i hardly ever use Rock types so if Chespin does become part Rock then i get to use it alot more :D

Not going to comment in as much detail with the other two (long posts tend to get read less, well for me anyway XD) Fennekin does nothing or me whatsoever :/ it doesn't have a bad design and i don't dislike it, it just isn't my type of pokemon. Froakie would be my 2nd choice and what i will most probably choose in the 2nd game i get, it has an interesting design that can be interpreted many, many ways, which is awesome :D

D!3g0

This is gonna be hard! I haven't been interested in a fire starter since Torchic (I know), and for the past two gens I went with the water starter. I think I will leave it at how the evolutions look, though I will probably try to get all the starters once I've completed the game.

Even with the characters, I don't know what I want to be this time :B

NeoDude-5000

Chespin
-Solarbeam
Fennekin
-Flamethrower
-Confusion
Froakie
-Water Gun

Hang on guys, I just had a thought. Remember when back when Diamond and Pearl were going to be released, it was rumored that the starters would be Dark/Fighting/Psychic.

So maybe because Chespin knows (preseumbly) Night Slash and Fennekin learns what appears to be Confusion. Maybe the trio will gain those types when they evolve.

Chespin into a Grass/Dark
Fennekin into a Fire/Psychic
and Froakie into a Water/Fighting

Do you guys agree?

Status
Not open for further replies.