• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Speculation/Discussion Thread

Which starter would you use?

• Chespin

Votes: 845 26.8%
  • Fennekin

Votes: 1,329 42.2%
  • Froakie

Votes: 849 27.0%
  • NONE, Dunsparce looks better

Votes: 127 4.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Isaac

Dragon Master
Do you guys think the starters will get their own unique moves this time around? If so, perhaps GF could add unique moves for all of the other starters as well.

Me personally? No. But that's for Game Freak to decide

GoldCyndaquil

Shiny Hunter
Just because it opened its mouth proves nothing. Maybe Fennenkins' like opening their mouth to use Psychic/Confusion/Psychic moves. It's not Roar or Hyper Voice as Roar wouldn't hurt Kirlia and Hyper Voice would have it coming from the mouth and hitting it straight on, not coming down on Kirlia. I also doubt that it's a reflection move.

StarSurgeX

☆ I'm The Captain
I think that the final evo are gonna be the next type:
Chespin: Grass/Ground he looks kind of like a mole
Fennekin: Fire/Spychic in the trailer is using some kind of psychic attack on kirlia ( I swear if its another fire/fighting i'm gonna kill someone)
Froakie: Water/Fighting oh god yes he looks like MINI fighting

Ulicies

Mild Monk
Me personally? No. But that's for Game Freak to decide

It is a stretch to add completely unique moves for each starter. But perhaps they'll at least add a different type of "starter move," akin to the starter Hyper Beams and Pledge moves.

Hauntershadow92

The Mono-type Man
I honestly think it is this:

Fennekin = Fire/Psychic
Moves:
-Flamethrower
-Psywave

Reasoning:
1. FenneKIN, kinesis, psychic?
2. It looks very similar to Psywave. Purple, wavy, etc.

Froakie = Water/Figthing
Moves:
-Hydro Pump
-Close Combat

Reasoning:
1. It moves around the pokemon as if it is fighting
2. Fits the Trio

Chespin = Grass/Dark
Moves:
-Solarbeam
-Night Slash

Reasoning:
Pretty much the same as above.

All in all, it makes sense this way. Sure Dark is completely immune to Psychic, but it still forms a fairly perfect trio. With the exception of Fennekin, these moves are super effective against the pokemon they are used against. Just my 2 cents.

Ulicies

Mild Monk
I honestly think it is this:

Fennekin = Fire/Psychic
Moves:
-Flamethrower
-Psywave

Reasoning:
1. FenneKIN, kinesis, psychic?
2. It looks very similar to Psywave. Purple, wavy, etc.

Froakie = Water/Figthing
Moves:
-Hydro Pump
-Close Combat

Reasoning:
1. It moves around the pokemon as if it is fighting
2. Fits the Trio

Chespin = Grass/Dark
Moves:
-Solarbeam
-Night Slash

Reasoning:
Pretty much the same as above.

All in all, it makes sense this way. Sure Dark is completely immune to Psychic, but it still forms a fairly perfect trio. With the exception of Fennekin, these moves are super effective against the pokemon they are used against. Just my 2 cents.
I personally would rather have Grass/Fighting and Water/Dark, although the other way around would contribute better to balancing each other out. And yes, Dark needs to stop being completely immune to Psychic, as that was just a silly overcompensation for nerfing Psychics.

Ungoliath

Not a GenWunner
Watch this trailer and go to 0:46, please.

You know it may just be Confusion since it is a starter and at its first stage. Also it is Chespin's move may be a updated version of Cut, although it does resemble Aerial Ace more.
Considering the previous animation of Confuse Ray, I doubt it looks like this. But still, it could be.
What difference would it make?
A lot. Nintendo knows Marketing. They did not picked random pictures just because. They know the fans, they know how to tease and overall, the absolutely know how hype their audience.
The display of attacks on the starters is not just random.

Autis-misc

Abridger
I think that the final evo are gonna be the next type:
Chespin: Grass/Ground he looks kind of like a mole
Fennekin: Fire/Spychic in the trailer is using some kind of psychic attack on kirlia ( I swear if its another fire/fighting i'm gonna kill someone)
Froakie: Water/Fighting oh god yes he looks like MINI fighting

I'm not so sure that Game Freak is going to actually put another Fighting type starter in X and Y due to the reactions of fans about a figthing Pig. If anything, it would probably be more like Water/Dark, since it just has that sinister look for a frog. Chespin looks as if he might be a Grass/Steel as someone has mentioned previously, and Fennekin could be a possible Psychic. But, it could also be a Pure Fire, like Ninetails.

I personally would rather have Grass/Fighting and Water/Dark, although the other way around would contribute better to balancing each other out. And yes, Dark needs to stop being completely immune to Psychic, as that was just a silly overcompensation for nerfing Psychics.

Dark will never stop being comepletely immune to psychic due to Dark types being super effective in order to balance out Psychic's OP-ness in Gen 1. Also, the Ring Target item can Nullify Dark's immunity to Psychic.

Ungoliath

Not a GenWunner
Correction: Vulpix learns Extrasensory by level up. Though, I will say, that move the unmistakable appearance of a Psychic type move.

My analysis of the moves in the video:
Chespin
-Solarbeam
-Night Slash(not Aerial Ace, because Aerial Ace's animation includes two vertical slashes, one downward and the second upward; the move's animation had two downward vertical slashes)
Fennekin
-Flamethrower
-Confusion
Froakie
-Water Gun
-Scratch/Slash/Fury Swipes
I was talking about starters. If not there is some that learn some other Psychic moves and some Psychic attacks.
(Calm Mind, Role Play, Rest and Extrasensory are the only moves that Fire Starters can learn. Not all for each one, but the point get across anyway)

Tavo_Zx

The Iron Man
I'm not so sure that Game Freak is going to actually put another Fighting type starter in X and Y due to the reactions of fans about a figthing Pig. If anything, it would probably be more like Water/Dark, since it just has that sinister look for a frog. Chespin looks as if he might be a Grass/Steel as someone has mentioned previously, and Fennekin could be a possible Psychic. But, it could also be a Pure Fire, like Ninetails.

Dark will never stop being comepletely immune to psychic due to Dark types being super effective in order to balance out Psychic's OP-ness in Gen 1. Also, the Ring Target item can Nullify Dark's immunity to Psychic.

Actually the possibility of another Fighting starter is really high. The difference is that this time the Water starter is the one that will (probably) be of that type. Read the next quote for more information on that.

Actually I see the possibility of having a Water/Fighting starter as really high.

This is because in the last 2 gens one of the starters has been a reference to Journey to the West, which is a Chinese novel. Those starters were Infernape, who is a reference to Sun Wukong and Emboar who is a reference to Zhu Bajie. There is still another character that Gamefreak hasn't portraid, and that is Sha Wujing who is a river ogre. If this is indeed true, then Froakie's next two evolutions will be part fighting, and the last one will probably have the same yellow patterns both Infernape and Emboar have. This theory also explains why we got three Fire/Fighting starters in a row: Blaziken is that typing due to the concept it is based on, and Infernape and Emboar have it due to them being a reference to Journey to the West.

Of course it is just a theory, but I still root for it.

silicon

Swordsman
Great Point! If that was Mimic then he's probably a Psychic anyways.

Why? Only two pokemon who learn Mimic are of the Psychic type, and they're of the same family - Mime Jr. and Mr. Mime. If you extend that line of thought to Copycat, it only opens up a three more Psychics.

This being brought up got me thinking. Looking at the distribution of Copycat, it's widely varied. No fire types as of yet, but it's a generic enough move that it could be on any type. Given that it was Kirlia that was being fought against this it is very possible that it was copying Kirlia's last move.

I still say that Fennekin's line will remain pure Fire. There's only been a single pure Fire starter line, while both Grass and Water have had as many pure lines as Fire has had Fighting subtypes. Honestly I feel a Psychic subtype is one of the least possible subtypes for it, even without the thought that it could have been using Copycat or something like it.

Autis-misc

Abridger
Actually the possibility of another Fighting starter is really high. The difference is that this time the Water starter is the one that will (probably) be of that type. Read the next quote for more information on that.

There is not very much information to really base that of off. If you go into it deeper, all you really said was naming off two historic chinese people without giving any connections to why Infernape/Emboar were based off them. Generally, if this is true, Game freak would have released that information by now. From a Book I bought explaining the origin's of all IV pokemon, it states that Infernape was based off a Wrestler (considering the mask) who trained in muay thai. Although Bulbapedia states this information is true, I don't think that it'll be a Water/Fighting. If the River ogre theory is still relevant, however, then it could be a Water/Dark, considering most ogre's are mainly evil creatures, Minus Shrek, but that's Dreamworks and they never follow their fairy tales.

AeroKorogu

So no one else thinks Fennekin will be a fire poison?...just me? Hmm....guess I'm weird...

Kreis

Still Dirrty
So no one else thinks Fennekin will be a fire poison?...just me? Hmm....guess I'm weird...

"All posts, speculation or not, should be constructive and contain ideas, support/elaborate their ideas, and must contribute to the discussions and/or on-going arguments. Also, one-liner posts such as "I agree.", "I want [this] to be in the game!", "This sucks!" will all be considered SPAM, deleted and you will be possibly infracted."

Tavo_Zx

The Iron Man
There is not very much information to really base that of off. If you go into it deeper, all you really said was naming off two historic chinese people without giving any connections to why Infernape/Emboar were based off them. Generally, if this is true, Game freak would have released that information by now. From a Book I bought explaining the origin's of all IV pokemon, it states that Infernape was based off a Wrestler (considering the mask) who trained in muay thai. Although Bulbapedia states this information is true, I don't think that it'll be a Water/Fighting. If the River ogre theory is still relevant, however, then it could be a Water/Dark, considering most ogre's are mainly evil creatures, Minus Shrek, but that's Dreamworks and they never follow their fairy tales.

I couldn't help but laugh when I read the Shrek part. But on all seriousness, I said at the end that is just a theory, so I'm not saying that that is completely true and they're based of off that. Even though I actually find it somewhat solid, so I'll stick to what it suggests. Besides, the first time I saw Froakie attacking on the trailer I instantly thought that it could end up as a Water/Fighting.

willda

Fire starter
Do you guys think the starters will get their own unique moves this time around? If so, perhaps GF could add unique moves for all of the other starters as well.

When generation 3 was introduced blaziken was the only pokemon to get blaze kick, swampert got muddy water and sceptile leafblade but I'm all for having that again

Ulicies

Mild Monk

Aw yeah, more Water/Dark evidence. I'm hoping Froakie evolves into a shifty figure where the cloud turns into a cloak going down his back or flying out in the wind.

Status
Not open for further replies.