• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Speculation/Discussion Thread

Which starter would you use?

• Chespin

Votes: 845 26.8%
  • Fennekin

Votes: 1,329 42.2%
  • Froakie

Votes: 849 27.0%
  • NONE, Dunsparce looks better

Votes: 127 4.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Autis-misc

Abridger
I still say that Fennekin's line will remain pure Fire. There's only been a single pure Fire starter line, while both Grass and Water have had as many pure lines as Fire has had Fighting subtypes. Honestly I feel a Psychic subtype is one of the least possible subtypes for it, even without the thought that it could have been using Copycat or something like it.

I'm going to agree with this statement. Most starter's can learn multiple type of moves they are not within the first couple of stages (hence, Grotle's Bite/Crunch, Totodile learning bite, exc...) and therefore could just be a pure fire. the legend fennekin is based off of is basically just a firefox in the end (not Mozilla) and will probably be a Pure fire type.

Ulicies

Mild Monk
I'm going to agree with this statement. Most starter's can learn multiple type of moves they are not within the first couple of stages (hence, Grotle's Bite/Crunch, Totodile learning bite, exc...) and therefore could just be a pure fire. the legend fennekin is based off of is basically just a firefox in the end (not Mozilla) and will probably be a Pure fire type.
What legend is Fennekin based off of? I'd love Fennekin to turn into a flying fox messenger, to be honest, which would explain the fur lines going outward in its design.

flygonabsol99

I know all you guys like Fennekin and all that goodness,but personally I don't see it as a psychic type.One major reason for this is because fire has the most dual type starters as of Gen 5.Fire currently has 4/5, while water and grass are at 2/5 and 1/5,respectively.And don't say that "but it's different cuz there all fire/fighting shtuff". Because as I remember, Infernape was the only GOOD fire starter,and also happened to be Fire/Fighting. Next is the fact that that all starters in a gen have only been dual once, in gen 4.This probably isn't saying much, but I just think it should be pointed out and that Chespin Is highly likely to be a dual type.

Isaac

Dragon Master

You are right! In fact lots of Pokemon with sharp teeth can use bite or crunch, however psychic attacks (especially weaker ones) are far more exclusive.

Autis-misc

Abridger
What legend is Fennekin based off of? I'd love Fennekin to turn into a flying fox messenger, to be honest, which would explain the fur lines going outward in its design.

I read somewhere that fennekin is based off a Red Fox within some legend (i'll have to look up the name later, it has escaped me) that was a Mystical Red Fox and that no one has ever seen one. I think this because A. Gamefreak waited until Gen 6 to release it, to explain why it has never been seen, much like Munna from Red/Blue. B. The name 'Fennekin' was related to the name of a certain Fox of that breed (once again, the name escapes me and I'll have to look it up) and C. The 3D sprite shown in the video looks relatively similar to the Mystical red Fox from japanese mythology. I think it'll be a pure fire because of my reasoning with other move types in an earlier post, and that Fennekin could be using Confusion due to the fact that the Mystical Fox has known Psychic powers, but they aren't very strong.

EDIT: the Myth was the Japanese Fox god Oinari, that's what I was thinking of.

isaac said:
You are right! In fact almost any Pokemon with sharp teeth can use bite or crunch, however psychic attacks (especially weaker ones) are far more exclusive.

I wasn't necessarily saying that Bite/crunch are the only moves. Feraligatr can also use Thunder/fire/ice punch and Meganium (correct me if I'm wrong) can learn Stealth Rock. Also, Serperior can learn Dragon Rush, which was a new Dragon type move in Gen V. I was just saying that just because the move in the trailer could be psychic does not mean that will be it's secondary type.

Last edited:

msiew10

not to mention three pure water and three pure grass. :p

msiew10

But it does not look like a pokemon that learn Earthquake and hopefully it have access to Earthpower.

Isaac

Dragon Master
Every played Pokemon Stadium? The stat lowering moves cause the attacked pokemon to "flinch" like it's being hurt

But much newer Pokemon games like Colloseum, XD, and Battle Revolution would disagree

TheEliteEmpoleon

I know all you guys like Fennekin and all that goodness,but personally I don't see it as a psychic type.One major reason for this is because fire has the most dual type starters as of Gen 5.Fire currently has 4/5, while water and grass are at 2/5 and 1/5,respectively.And don't say that "but it's different cuz there all fire/fighting shtuff". Because as I remember, Infernape was the only GOOD fire starter,and also happened to be Fire/Fighting. Next is the fact that that all starters in a gen have only been dual once, in gen 4.This probably isn't saying much, but I just think it should be pointed out and that Chespin Is highly likely to be a dual type.

Even at this point I agree with you with certainty that Chespin will have a secondary type. Especially because if it doesn't, as you said, only Torterra would be a graas starter with a secondary type.

john90

CoroCoro usually leaks between the 11th and the 12th, am I right? (I know sometimes has leaked the 9th, sometimes the 13th, just wanna know the most common..)

Raguna

Magikarp. The best.
Every played Pokemon Stadium? The stat lowering moves cause the attacked pokemon to "flinch" like it's being hurt

Like Isaac said, only the Stadium games did that, and it was because of limitation for the animation (rhyme, maybe? Not sure on that one...). Still going for Psychic dual typing!

Luxvan

Mozilla Fennekin
Going to guess he is talking about competitivly not design wise, still even if he is talking about design its his own taste :p.
Again, what?
Let's ignore Blaziken for a bit WHILE IT ****ING GAINS SPEED EVERY TURN AND THEN PROCEEDS TO RIP YOUR ENTIRE TEAM TO ****ING SHREDS LIKE NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And guys, Venusaur was Poison type.

Tavo_Zx

The Iron Man
Even at this point I agree with you with certainty that Chespin will have a secondary type. Especially because if it doesn't, as you said, only Torterra would be a graas starter with a secondary type.

What is Bulbasaur and its evos? But seriously, I still think that the three of them will have secondary typings. The only I see as probably ending up as a single typed is Fennekin.

Pepsi_Plunge

Dojyaaa~~aan
Again, what?
Let's ignore Blaziken for a bit WHILE IT ****ING GAINS SPEED EVERY TURN AND THEN PROCEEDS TO RIP YOUR ENTIRE TEAM TO ****ING SHREDS LIKE NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And guys, Venusaur was Poison type.

Thats with his new abilitiy, hes probably talking about at the time.

Anyway who cares about that, I not going to pick a starter based on how competitive it is or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.