• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Speculation/Discussion Thread

Which starter would you use?

• Chespin

Votes: 845 26.8%
  • Fennekin

Votes: 1,329 42.2%
  • Froakie

Votes: 849 27.0%
  • NONE, Dunsparce looks better

Votes: 127 4.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aurath8

It's quite hard to predict Chespin's typing, but I think I'll stick with pure Grass for now, provided its fast and has a good movepool. I'll jump on the Fire/Psychic bandwagon but Froakie looks like he could take up the type given his little glasses and intellectual look. Then again I'd love a nice Water/Fighting type provided he gets work up and Aura Sphere/a new special fighting move.

Moonrox

Shaymin Enthusiast
It's quite hard to predict Chespin's typing, but I think I'll stick with pure Grass for now, provided its fast and has a good movepool. I'll jump on the Fire/Psychic bandwagon but Froakie looks like he could take up the type given his little glasses and intellectual look. Then again I'd love a nice Water/Fighting type provided he gets work up and Aura Sphere/a new special fighting move.

I really want a decent competetive Grass type that isn't legendary or Breloom, hopefully Chespin can fulfill that role, but I doubt it...

Zyon

NUM NUM NUM
I've always went with the fire starter, except for Gen V since they've had the same type for the last three gens an it's gotten rather boring. It does however look like fenniken is going to break this(or at least I'm hopping it does), weather it's going to be just pure fire with psychic moves or a fire/psychic type. I might choose fenniken but then again both froakie and chespin are close. Chespin could possibly be to me a ground, rock, or steel type in it's final evolution. I'm hopping for steel type simply because it'll have a large range of resistance an only weak to fire and fighting. Froakie I'm not sure what other type it could get but I do like it's design. So for now I'm undecided until more info like their stats, typing, an evolution's are revealed before I actually make my choice.

Moonrox

Shaymin Enthusiast
I would absolutely ADORE Chespin to be part Steel, but then it'd have a 4x weakness to Fire. It could still happen, but I don't think GF would screw him over like that.

ludiloco

I think it's time to choose the fire-type starter, I always choose the water-type and the last fire I chose was CHimchar back in Diamond.

I would absolutely ADORE Chespin to be part Steel, but then it'd have a 4x weakness to Fire. It could still happen, but I don't think GF would screw him over like that.

If it turns out to be a defensive pokemon it won't mind that weakness in rain. It'll be Ferrothorn all over again.

Nyarlathotep

Eldritch Abomination

Even with a 4x weakness to Fire, it would be resistant to ten other types. It would be a good deal.
Think on it as a Ferrothorn with a better (I hope) design :p

The thing is, it would be in a severe disadvantage against Fennekin, but then again, Empoleon got screwed in battles against Torterra and Infernape.

spiller

when it comes to previously chosen starters i chose
charmander in gen 1
cyndaquil in gen 2
treeko in gen 3
piplup in gen 4
oshawott in gen 5
and based on the apperance of the first forms im gonna choose froakie and only in gen 5 did i know what the starters evolved into before release.

bippacooleth

Quiver Dance=Success

tbf swampert had a 4x weakness to grass so i dont think the 4x weakness is a massive deal. I can definitely see grass/steel happening if they stick to the chestnut theme

Blackjack the Titan

It’s been a while
It better not be me first.It better be extrasensory. ._.

Meaning it would have a higher chance at not being Psychic. Vulpix and Ninetales can use Confuse Ray, and they aren't Ghost types, just pure fire.
I hope Fennekin's Pure Fire.

Bluemiracle

Biologist
Meaning it would have a higher chance at not being Psychic. Vulpix and Ninetales can use Confuse Ray, and they aren't Ghost types, just pure fire.
I hope Fennekin's Pure Fire.

Well Fennekin IS a pure fire. Does this mean his evolutions will also be? We can't tell, but we'll know soon enough. Everything can happen at this point really.

Last edited:
tbf swampert had a 4x weakness to grass so i dont think the 4x weakness is a massive deal. I can definitely see grass/steel happening if they stick to the chestnut theme
Yep, we have a total of 3 Starter final forms that have 4x weaknesses. Charizard, Swampert and Torterra. I think we'll be likely to see one again in the future, so seeing one now wouldn't be a surprise.

Zyon

NUM NUM NUM
Well Swampert got a x4 weakness on grass it's not that bad. Plus being a steel type will give it a huge range of resistance which is always great to have, and simply having one x4 weak to fire and x2 weak to fighting isn't really a big deal at all.

Mystic Flygon

4x fire weakness is nothing to fear :/ If it's fast it wouldn't even matter unless we got a fire-type stealth rock like move this gen. I'd be more concerned about the fighting weakness.

I'm happy with whatever type combos or lack therefore of except: Fire/ fighting, and pure water and grass. That's just me.

SasakiThePikachu

like pepsi cola
http://pastebin.com/Z2tMiaJR

Can anyone confirm if this is fake or not? I hope to god this is legit

Edit: I found this via Reddit. A lot of them over there seem to think it might be real

Fernox? *nods* I approve.

God knows if it's real. When the Unova starter evolutions leaked at least half of the fandom was screaming 'fake!' and then listing reasons why it must be fake. It wasn't fake. Lol.

Someone more qualified wanna weigh in?

Nyarlathotep

Eldritch Abomination
http://pastebin.com/Z2tMiaJR

Can anyone confirm if this is fake or not? I hope to god this is legit

Edit: I found this via Reddit. A lot of them over there seem to think it might be real

I think it is fake... I mean, don't think we will be getting real info about the new Pokémon so soon. :|

But who knows... According to the translator, Fennekin's evos will be Fire/Esper (Psychic, lol), Froakie's will be Water/Fighting and I have no idea what the heck the "Iye" type is.

If it is true, it seems to confirm the psychic/dark/fighting counter circle a lot of people have been predicting

Status
Not open for further replies.