• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Speculation/Discussion Thread

Which starter would you use?

• Chespin

Votes: 845 26.8%
  • Fennekin

Votes: 1,329 42.2%
  • Froakie

Votes: 849 27.0%
  • NONE, Dunsparce looks better

Votes: 127 4.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nyarlathotep

Eldritch Abomination
Froakie doesn't remind me of Seismitoad... Yeah, both are Water frogs, but that is all.

They are based on different kinds of frogs.
Seismitoad is a huge and fat sound/vibration-based frog. Froakie is a tiny frog... that we don't know what it was based on yet.

Illusione-Tempus

This set of starters looks promising. I expect Fennekin's evolution to be Fire/Psychic. It definitely strikes me as a future Psychic type.

While I expect Froakie to evolve into Water/Poison. I mean, if it were to evolve into a Water/Fighting type, it'll just be a gen 6 copy of Poliwrath. We don't want that to happen.

While Chespin... It's just cute. I don't know. Maybe... a Grass/Fighting? 0w0

Ignore my previous statement, that was random.

Sealotic

Froakie doesn't remind me of Seismitoad... Yeah, both are Water frogs, but that is all.

They are based on different kinds of frogs.
Seismitoad is a huge and fat sound/vibration-based frog. Froakie is a tiny frog... that we don't know what it was based on yet.

I didn't expect Tympole to evolved into an enormous ''huge fat sound/vibration-based frog at all, so we couldn't predict what will happen. Of course we can speculate and I think (and maybe know) that Froakie is the one who it is the most complicated to see which type, how it will be.

We could be surprised, like Tepig evolving into a... fighting pig actually. Maybe Froakie will be a Flying Frog, who knows..?

Thomas Elliot

I AM HUSH

But a griffin would be very cool, what is the problem?

I don't really see that happening. A griffin has the head of a bird, which Fennekin has nothing like that. So it would be a distract change. If you wanted a mythological creature, I would say it would be more like a Chimera if anything.

Nyarlathotep

Eldritch Abomination
I didn't expect Tympole to evolved into an enormous ''huge fat sound/vibration-based frog at all, so we couldn't predict what will happen. Of course we can speculate and I think (and maybe know) that Froakie is the one who it is the most complicated to see which type, how it will be.

We could be surprised, like Tepig evolving into a... fighting pig actually. Maybe Froakie will be a Flying Frog, who knows..?

Well, neither did I. You see, Tympole evolving into a huge frog is the reason I think Froakie won't.
Game Freak is creative, even though they repeat types sometimes (and most of the time they have a reason to do so). If it end up evolving into one more fat/bulky frog, it will be very disappointing.

PKMN TRAINER Oliver

ポケットモンスタ一
I just love Froakie for it is a frog (I love frogs)!!!!
I also have a feeling that it might specifically be based off one of New Zealand's native frogs (as it doesn't start of as a tadpole) though I may be wrong.

willda

Fire starter
Venusaur? Ferrothorn? Abomasnow? Roserade? and MAYBE Ludicolo, Shiftry, Whimsicott. Depends on how you play.

This set of starters looks promising. I expect Fennekin's evolution to be Fire/Psychic. It definitely strikes me as a future Psychic type.

While I expect Froakie to evolve into Water/Poison. I mean, if it were to evolve into a Water/Fighting type, it'll just be a gen 6 copy of Poliwrath. We don't want that to happen.

And we would still have somewhat of a reverse triangle if chespin gets rock or ground typing so I like it!

scorpio66

Its been declared by nintendo and posted on serebii news that the starters will be single types only for this gen so back to basics, just fire, grass and water!

MastersOfMonsters

~Yaoi FanBoy~
Its been declared by nintendo and posted on serebii news that the starters will be single types only for this gen so back to basics, just fire, grass and water!

Chespin, Fennekin and Froakie, yes. Not their evolutions.

Super Llama

Aussie Poké Trainer
That's just the starters, not their evolutions :3

EDIT: Ninja'd lol

MastersOfMonsters

~Yaoi FanBoy~
First time I've Ninja'd someone! I feel smart now~

I just hope that all starters will HAVE a second Type. I prefer them to singel Types starters. D:

Not to mention that "back to basics" would mean that the starters would NOT be Grass/Fire/Water, as Gen 1 was the last time we had a dual-typed starter.

Charizard The Great

The Great One
Generally I have one look at the starters upon release and it tends to be the fire-type that charms me.

Happened with the Charmander family, the Cyndaquil family, the Chimchar family and now it's happened with the Fennekin fox family.

Just looks adorable, but also cool and tough, like you don't wanna mess with it. Also, if it's true that it is to be a fire and psychic type then that just confirms it for me; brilliant dual type, not sure if it's unique in that respect but I love it already.

I like Chespin to an extent, looks quite cool in that I like mysterious Pokemon when it isn't easy to tell what kind of animal they are portraying (in Chespin's case, chestnut-hedgehog looks like the outcome, purely a guess though).

Froakie looks a bit boring and bland I reckon but who knows, maybe it'll evolve in to something decent.

Either way I'll definitely be starting with Fennekin the first time I play Pokemon X or Y.

SasakiThePikachu

like pepsi cola
So I'm gonna no drastically change Fennekin theories. It's got a father large head and a small body. Maybe some chihuahua influence got into its design. Who's to say?
So perhaps its evos are going to have a Southwestern flair.

Well, the same can be said about Zorua (they have very similar body shapes and sizes) but I doubt anyone points out a chihuahua influence in its design.

Fennekin is clearly based on a Fennec fox (who I think live mostly around Africa?? Dammit I should know this, my dad's an animal biologist!) so I doubt it's going to evolve into a Chihuahua, which come from completely different parts of the world. If Chihuahua's were bigger than Fennec foxes then I'd grant it as a possibility because GF like to mix things up (lookin at you, Remoraid & Octillery) but it wouldn't make sense for it to evolve into something...smaller, surely.

willda

Fire starter
... I'm not saying that it would evolve into a chihuahua. :p
I'm saying that it is a fox that will evolve with some Southwestern influence.
A desert fox.

I'm pro desert fox lol Fennecs are desert foxes anyway.

D!3g0

I also took it like they pure types, why is it worth announcing that? We all know that the base form is always pure when it comes to starters, either way I won't be surprised if they end up being pure types, but I would like it if they go dual type.

Status
Not open for further replies.