• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Speculation/Discussion Thread

Which starter would you use?

• Chespin

Votes: 845 26.8%
  • Fennekin

Votes: 1,329 42.2%
  • Froakie

Votes: 849 27.0%
  • NONE, Dunsparce looks better

Votes: 127 4.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

R_N

Why was anyone expecting anything new to be shown? They still have 10 months to show stuff, and almost everyone is expecting them to reveal everything right away.

It happens every single time with Pokemon Smash because ????
The people expecting starter evolution reveals in particular were silly

Shraeder

It's Lit
Why was anyone expecting anything new to be shown? They still have 10 months to show stuff, and almost everyone is expecting them to reveal everything right away.

I was mainly expecting sizes for the starters, types for the legendaries, or classifications for the starters/legendaries.

Blackjack the Titan

It’s been a while
I'm actually okay with them not revealing anything about the Starters. I mean, it just makes me wonder how they'll turn out. But, if their evolved forms all turn out to be pure, then I'll be kicking myself.

I'll be kicking myself if they have limited movepools. The starters need to be more like Infernape and Swampert in DPPt OU, with better stats.
It really disappointed me Serperior didn't have that good of a movepool if not another type.

I'll be kicking myself if they have limited movepools. The starters need to be more like Infernape and Swampert in DPPt OU, with better stats.
It really disappointed me Serperior didn't have that good of a movepool if not another type.

That is something to think about. Movepool and stats are key as well. But, I still use them regardless. I'm a Jalorda (Serperior) user. xD
Its movepool did get to me when I first saw it, but after time I got used to it and in BW2 it got better. Its type is a different story for me. Still wishes for Grass/Dragon even though it'll destroy the Starter damage circle

Shraeder

It's Lit

Yeah, Serperior was a HUGE disappointment.

willda

Fire starter

I agree, before the starters were getting stronger with each passing generation, but last gen they took a big step back by lowering serperior and samurotts move pools having some more usable move would have been welcomed Immensely.

avsimone

Magma Trainer
just overall, there have been quie a few pokemon with base 530 stats and bellow in the OU tier, however a main thing that has put them there is their ability (with the exception of infernape whose movepool is massive). I'm thinking the starters are going to be RU, UU. though I reaally would like it if they were good enough for OU. I hope we don't have a gen of all NU starters again.

Moonrox

Shaymin Enthusiast
That is something to think about. Movepool and stats are key as well. But, I still use them regardless. I'm a Jalorda (Serperior) user. xD
Its movepool did get to me when I first saw it, but after time I got used to it and in BW2 it got better. Its type is a different story for me. Still wishes for Grass/Dragon even though it'll destroy the Starter damage circle

What's the point of using the Japanese name if you state the English one right after? It's not cute.

On the topic of starter's movepools, yeah, I'm hoping Chespin gets a decent one. They all seem to have potential to be great, but so did Snivy/Oshawott/Tepig.

What's the point of using the Japanese name if you state the English one right after? It's not cute.

On the topic of starter's movepools, yeah, I'm hoping Chespin gets a decent one. They all seem to have potential to be great, but so did Snivy/Oshawott/Tepig.

Because I don't want anyone questioning me of who they are, that's why. And the way you talk is so not cute.

Shraeder

It's Lit

I think Froakie will have a large movepool if it is part Fighting, and Fennekin/Chespin will have medium sized ones.

TheEliteEmpoleon

That seems like the most possibly. I'm just hoping that they get a signature move of some kind as well.

The most exclusive moves I see them getting are Frenzy Plant, Blast Burn, and Hydro Cannon.

Ungoliath

Not a GenWunner
I think that the best movepool will belong to Chespin, due it's regular typing if it's Dark.
The one with the Dark secondary type will have the largest movepool. :O

Shraeder

It's Lit
That seems like the most possibly. I'm just hoping that they get a signature move of some kind as well.

If not signature moves, then I would like them to have moves not commonly learned.
Chespin: Needle Arm, Wood Hammer
Fennekin: Heat Wave, Psyshock(?)
Froakie: Muddy Water, Aura Sphere

Any suggestions?

Aurath8

They definitely need to bring back signature moves for starters(or almost signature). They sort of did it in Gen 5. Only Tepig and Blitzle got Flame Charge until the TM Tubeline Bridge(by which point it's near-useless). Leaf Tornado and Razor Shell are only given to a handful of pokemon as well but the problem is that, while useful for a few levels the ultimately all sucked. I'd like something closer to what the Gen3 starters got: Muddy Water only had a slight niche over Surf but Blaze Kick and Leaf Blade are both usable right up to the E4 and beyond.

If not signature moves, then I would like them to have moves not commonly learned.
Chespin: Needle Arm, Wood Hammer
Fennekin: Heat Wave, Psyshock(?)
Froakie: Muddy Water, Aura Sphere

Any suggestions?
Well, Fennekin's moves are learned by a lot of Pokemon since Heat Wave is learned via tutor and Psyshock is by TM. Muddy Water, I don't really know since I don't teach my Pokemon it, but I think it's via tutor. But, all the others one are okay. I guess I'll go through the list of moves to see what is good.

Mighty Arceus493

Relentless.
They definitely need to bring back signature moves for starters(or almost signature). They sort of did it in Gen 5. Only Tepig and Blitzle got Flame Charge until the TM Tubeline Bridge(by which point it's near-useless). Leaf Tornado and Razor Shell are only given to a handful of pokemon as well but the problem is that, while useful for a few levels the ultimately all sucked. I'd like something closer to what the Gen3 starters got: Muddy Water only had a slight niche over Surf but Blaze Kick and Leaf Blade are both usable right up to the E4 and beyond.

Whenever I have a Pokemon that wants to learn Leaf Blade, that's always going to be in that Pokemon's moveset in all of my games. I agree, I would love to see special/exclusive/signature moves which are strong like they were in the 3rd gen for the starters and some other Pokemon in the 6th gen.

john90

I'm quite sure fennekin will remain pure fire.. Look at all past "dog/cat/fox (you understand uh? XD)" pokemon:
Growlite/Arcanine
Vulpix/ Ninetales
Meowth/Persian
Eevee/Eeveelutions
Snubull/Granbull
Poochyena/Mightyena
Skitty/Delcatty
Electrike/Manectric
Absol
Shinx/Luxio/Luxray
Glameow/Purugly
Lillipup/Herdier/Stoutland
Purrloin/Liepard
Zorua/Zoroark
Houndour/Houndoom
[Riolu/Lucario--> actually dogs in nature (?) but yeah not really in a dog pose)]

Among all these only the last two are dual-type and probably because they were excited about the introduction of dark type.. Everything can happen however..

Status
Not open for further replies.