• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Speculation/Discussion Thread

Which starter would you use?

• Chespin

Votes: 845 26.8%
  • Fennekin

Votes: 1,329 42.2%
  • Froakie

Votes: 849 27.0%
  • NONE, Dunsparce looks better

Votes: 127 4.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

willda

Fire starter
just overall, there have been quie a few pokemon with base 530 stats and bellow in the OU tier, however a main thing that has put them there is their ability (with the exception of infernape whose movepool is massive). I'm thinking the starters are going to be RU, UU. though I reaally would like it if they were good enough for OU. I hope we don't have a gen of all NU starters again.

why do you think they will be so low tier (ru) (uu is actually still decent) alot of past starters were still good on OU teams this gen, sceptile has success so does swampert feraligatr and dreamworld charizad are all low tier starters that really deserve more respect than they get.

I'm quite sure fennekin will remain pure fire.. Look at all past "dog/cat/fox (you understand uh? XD)" pokemon:
Growlite/Arcanine
Vulpix/ Ninetales
Meowth/Persian
Eevee/Eeveelutions
Snubull/Granbull
Poochyena/Mightyena
Skitty/Delcatty
Electrike/Manectric
Absol
Shinx/Luxio/Luxray
Glameow/Purugly
Lillipup/Herdier/Stoutland
Purrloin/Liepard
Zorua/Zoroark
Houndour/Houndoom
[Riolu/Lucario--> actually dogs in nature (?) but yeah not really in a dog pose)]

Among all these only the last two are dual-type and probably because they were excited about the introduction of dark type.. Everything can happen however..

That's good and all, but trying to compare Fennekin with past Pokemon might not get us anywhere, because Gamefreak can do whatever they want with those Pokemon. :/

john90

That's good and all, but trying to compare Fennekin with past Pokemon might not get us anywhere, because Gamefreak can do whatever they want with those Pokemon. :/
I stated that everything can happen in fact..
Checking about frogs.. All have a dualtype in their line:

Poliwrath
Toxicroak
Seismitod

Can't really understand what chespin family could be. So I'll wait and see..

Aegon

They definitely need to bring back signature moves for starters(or almost signature). They sort of did it in Gen 5. Only Tepig and Blitzle got Flame Charge until the TM Tubeline Bridge(by which point it's near-useless). Leaf Tornado and Razor Shell are only given to a handful of pokemon as well but the problem is that, while useful for a few levels the ultimately all sucked. I'd like something closer to what the Gen3 starters got: Muddy Water only had a slight niche over Surf but Blaze Kick and Leaf Blade are both usable right up to the E4 and beyond.
Tepig did get a signature move in Heat Crash, though it's not the most useful. I really liked that the Hoenn starters had great signature moves.

Last edited:

SasakiThePikachu

like pepsi cola
why do you think they will be so low tier (ru) (uu is actually still decent) alot of past starters were still good on OU teams this gen, sceptile has success so does swampert feraligatr and dreamworld charizad are all low tier starters that really deserve more respect than they get.

Screw the tiers I have money competitive isn't everything. I'm raising a Charizard at the moment and she's wonderful. I'm saddened by the hatred this Pokemon got once bloody Stealth Rock appeared. Every time a rock move hits her and she survives, I feel a little bit of my faith in the world restored :)

All I wish for the new starters is attractive, inventive designs, wide movepools and useable stats. It feels a little sad to start judging them by Smogon's classifications before we've even seen them.

Shraeder

It's Lit
Well, Fennekin's moves are learned by a lot of Pokemon since Heat Wave is learned via tutor and Psyshock is by TM. Muddy Water, I don't really know since I don't teach my Pokemon it, but I think it's via tutor. But, all the others one are okay. I guess I'll go through the list of moves to see what is good.

I forgot Heat Wave was a move tutor. Muddy Wator isn't tutor, but I kind of just threw it in the because I couldn't think of anything. For Fennekin I couldn't think of anything either XD. Maybe they'll all have Gen VI moves, like last gen.

Tepig did get a signature move in Flame Charge, though it's not the most useful. I really liked that the Hoenn starters had great signature moves.

And Oshawott had Razor Shell and Snivy had Leaf Tornado.

willda

Fire starter
Screw the tiers I have money competitive isn't everything. I'm raising a Charizard at the moment and she's wonderful. I'm saddened by the hatred this Pokemon got once bloody Stealth Rock appeared. Every time a rock move hits her and she survives, I feel a little bit of my faith in the world restored :)

All I wish for the new starters is attractive, inventive designs, wide movepools and useable stats. It feels a little sad to start judging them by Smogon's classifications before we've even seen them.

Oh believe me I agree whole heartily! that's why I use allot of these so called Terrible starters on OU teams. Its actually quite funny when an elitist opponent scoff at you for using a low tier pokemon, and then later rage quit because you used said pokemon to destroy them! Oh and I really agree with your last part decent stats great looks a creative move pool are all Im really looking for, making the pokemon good is my job

Shraeder

It's Lit
Oh believe me I agree whole heartily! that's why I use allot of these so called Terrible starters on OU teams. Its actually quite funny when an elitist opponent scoff at you for using a low tier pokemon, and then later rage quit because you used said pokemon to destroy them! Oh and I really agree with your last part decent stats great looks a creative move pool are all Im really looking for, making the pokemon good is my job

Couldn't agree more.

Ghosts of the Forums

Who Ya Gonna Call?
I like to use uu pokes in ou. Nu, in the case of spiritomb. This'll be fun.

sflytal

I want starters that have moves that will be effective against the Elite Four... giving me a reason to keep them around.

Cutty

Forever now
At least they get a better abilities, other than the usual.

[ACE] Zero

Just Sayin..
I want starters that have moves that will be effective against the Elite Four... giving me a reason to keep them around.

lolwut?

The starters do have move that make them efficient against E4... which E4 do you battle against?

willda

Fire starter
Overgrow, Blaze and Torrent is getting a bit old now. But, I don't know if they would change them.

I know It isn't good to make absolute statements in speculation, but I'm going to say we will definitely get the standard overgrow blaze torrent abilities ingame. If I'm wrong I'll eat my words but I doubt I am. Maybe at best there will be some ability changer guy or something like a 1% chance to get a dw ability when we pick our starter, but I believe that is HIGHLY unlikely.

ninijatt

Half, ninja, half cat, all attitude
I know It isn't good to make absolute statements in speculation, but I'm going to say we will definitely get the standard overgrow blaze torrent abilities ingame. If I'm wrong I'll eat my words but I doubt I am. Maybe at best there will be some ability changer guy or something like a 1% chance to get a dw ability when we pick our starter, but I believe that is HIGHLY unlikely.

However cool that would be, as you say, it's highly unlikely. I'd like that ability changer guy though. It's make things alot better. It would defeat the concept but, I'd like it. While they're at it, a nature changer would be great as well. Defeating the concept, yes. But, it would be conveinient. Overgrow/Blaze/Torrent is practically mandatory for starters at this point. Gameplay wise, it's what separates them from the standard/random pokemon you find in the wild. Only the starters have them. Eevee and Pikachu not withstanding. Though, they were starters at one point and should have electric/normal versions of these. But, I've already made you half-blind from reading this wall of text so, I'll stop now.

willda

Fire starter
However cool that would be, as you say, it's highly unlikely. I'd like that ability changer guy though. It's make things alot better. It would defeat the concept but, I'd like it. While they're at it, a nature changer would be great as well. Defeating the concept, yes. But, it would be conveinient. Overgrow/Blaze/Torrent is practically mandatory for starters at this point. Gameplay wise, it's what separates them from the standard/random pokemon you find in the wild. Only the starters have them. Eevee and Pikachu not withstanding. Though, they were starters at one point and should have electric/normal versions of these. But, I've already made you half-blind from reading this wall of text so, I'll stop now.

No, no better than a dead thread, and the nature thing would be nice , again defeating the purpose, but what I believe is absolutely necessary, is a more effective IV distribution system IV breeding the the most boring a tedious thing ever! ( this honestly belongs in the gameplay thread so I'll post it there) I'm very excited to see how these starters fare in combat

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.