• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Speculation/Discussion Thread

Which starter would you use?

• Chespin

Votes: 845 26.8%
  • Fennekin

Votes: 1,329 42.2%
  • Froakie

Votes: 849 27.0%
  • NONE, Dunsparce looks better

Votes: 127 4.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Froakin' Koga

See its something new lol. Ya maybe not just like Sceptile, but we have had to many grass tank pokemon in my mind. And I don't want Chespin to be that.

The only tank has been torterra though. Venasaur, and Meganium were both leech seeding, defense wielding, status inducing walls. I feel like they tried to break away from that with sceptile and then figured since that was a "success" then they wold try a tank grass. when that failed they tried to merge sceptile with meganium and got serperior who is my favorite grass starter. Now i think they realized that torterra being ground opened it to tons of weaknesses and i think they are going to try and "fix" the tank idea with chespin. probably giving him a good resisting type to go with grass *coughrockcough* and adding some more speed.

Ghosts of the Forums

Who Ya Gonna Call?
The only tank has been torterra though. Venasaur, and Meganium were both leech seeding, defense wielding, status inducing walls. I feel like they tried to break away from that with sceptile and then figured since that was a "success" then they wold try a tank grass. when that failed they tried to merge sceptile with meganium and got serperior who is my favorite grass starter. Now i think they realized that torterra being ground opened it to tons of weaknesses and i think they are going to try and "fix" the tank idea with chespin. probably giving him a good resisting type to go with grass *coughrockcough* and adding some more speed.

no. that would be a stupid type.

Ryan7437

Banned
^ Nope. I think it will be Steel.

willda

Fire starter
I hope so too...kinda like Toxicroak...except that Toxicroak isn't that fast or powerful...it's quite pitiful actually,even ingame.

At this rate I see Chespin being the defesive one,Fennekin the offensive one and Froakie the speedy one.

why? craydily has that typing and the secondary STAB would be great, rock and grass are a decent pair, though Steel and grass is better

Ryan7437

Banned
^ Exactly!

zebbystrika

PokeMaster
Ok, here's what I think of the starters.

Chespin: I'm glad that we have a non-reptilian grass starter here, but it just looks like a taller, grass typed oshawott. When oshawott was announced, I thought it looked too much like piplup. I want to see a completely different starter base design for gen 6, but chespin isn't that bad. Plus, chespin doesn't look like it has a great defense stat in my opinion, but we'll see. It will most likely be a grass/ground type, in my opinion.

Fennekin: my personal favorite. I don't usually go for the more feminine looking starters besides piplup, but fennekin's design is too cool. It kind of looks like it could be a pre-evolution for ninetales. However, if we find out that fennekin's last evo is fire/fighting, I might go for chespin or froakie. I believe fennekin will be a fire/psychic type, and I can't wait to find out.

Froakie: not my cup of tea. For some reason froakie reminds me of seismitoad or however you spell it; it could easily have been chosen as its pre-evolution. I've only picked a water type starter once, and it will probably stay that way. Froakie's evos will probably be water/fighting or water/poison, which would be interesting. Also, when I first saw the gen 6 starters, I thought it was a hoax because froakie's design looked so... Well... Fan-made.

Froakin' Koga

a grass with a way to take care of types super effective against it (fire, ice, flying, bug) and being resistant to ( fire, flying, and poison). only four weaknesses in steel, fighting, ice, and bug. imagine a cradily with samurott stats. not bad at all.

a grass with a way to take care of types super effective against it (fire, ice, flying, bug) and being resistant to ( fire, flying, and poison). only four weaknesses in steel, fighting, ice, and bug. imagine a cradily with samurott stats. not bad at all.

You know what..that would be cool..i usually prefer the more Defensive Starters and hopefully Froakie will be that..

Froakin' Koga

^ Nope. I think it will be Steel.

I love grass/steel but i dont think gamefreak will let a starter to be demolished by fennekin. i think they are going to try and balance the starters out. Either way chespin will be awesome

Steampunk

One Truth Prevails

thats what i said XD
i think its not only the most likely but the best for the pokemons looks.

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
If they're going tanky, I definitely agree with the notion that the secondary typing should be steel, especially if they follow the precedence provided by Ferrothorn (though maybe a bit more speedy).

Drohn

I definitely want Fennekin. They all look quite cute in my opinion (the grass type does resemble Oshawott a bit in my opinion, but I don't mind, I liked Oshawott). I hope they will all evolve into cool looking beasts. I usually get both versions then trade all starters to one game before I start playing, but Fennekin is my favorite. I am a fire-type fan, and I hope it will have a cool type combo. Can't handle any more Fire/Fighting.. I've read speculation about "Light" type. If that happens (although it is probably very unlikely) I want it to be Fire/Light. Psychic also would be ncie as previous posters have mentioned. I REALLY hope for a new type though. And though it will never happen probably, I want Ghosts to be resistant to Dark and weak to Light instead, just seems more fitting for a Ghost to like the darkness to me.

Froakin' Koga

You mean like Swampert is demolished by Sceptile? :p
Or maybe like Empoleon is demolished by both Torterra and Infernape?

haha yeah true. empleon got screwed over but i think they tried to do something about that when they had it learn drill peck, even though 52 was waaaaaay too late to make a difference ingame.
As far as swampert goes though. phew. poor thing.
I still think rock would fit better but either works well

haha yeah true. empleon got screwed over but i think they tried to do something about that when they had it learn drill peck, even though 52 was waaaaaay too late to make a difference ingame.

I think in order to make Froakie and his Evos effective..i think he should be either Water/Electric or Water/Flying

willda

Fire starter
I love grass/steel but i dont think gamefreak will let a starter to be demolished by fennekin. i think they are going to try and balance the starters out. Either way chespin will be awesome

as others stated above the weaknesses would't be a big deal, grass alone already gets smashed by the other two, all water starters learn decent ice type attacks, fire already kills grass, so being demolished by the dominant starter type isn't an issue. like Nyarlathotep said, swarmpert already loses to sceptile and empoleon already is technically disadvantaged to both his/her rivals. Pokemon will always have to have some weaknesses, otherwise they will become broken, I think gaining the Immunity to poison, and resistance to many other common problem types for grass pokemon in general is well worth a mere two weaknesses, even if one is X4 , stick it in rain and this pokemon would make and excellent leech seed tank of sorts, If it gets Attack hp and def/sp Def.

john90

You mean like Swampert is demolished by Sceptile? :p
Or maybe like Empoleon is demolished by both Torterra and Infernape?
Empoleon is faster then torterra. An ice beam and bye bye..

Nyarlathotep

Eldritch Abomination

The thing is, when the starters get their secondary types, the player will (supposedly) have at least two or three more Pokémon in their party. Chespin's final evolution having a 4x weakness to Fire-type moves will not be a problem if you have a Water, Rock or Ground Pokémon in your team. Also, Grass/Steel would probably make Chespin's final evolution a viable Pokémon to use competitively (I don't care about this stuff, but a lot of people do), like Swampert who was the best Hoenn starter before Speed Boost Blaziken, even though it has a 4x weakness to Sceptile's STAB moves.

I think in order to make Froakie and his Evos effective..i think he should be either Water/Electric or Water/Flying

How exactly Water/Flying makes something effective? Besides Gyarados, every Pokémon with this type combination sucks badly. Water/Electric with good speed, Sp. Attack and a decent movepool would make Froakie's final evo a beast, though.

Froakin' Koga

The rumor is that Froakie is somewhat based on Ben Franklin who spent extensive time in France (even though i find that basing pokemon on there regions never truly happens unless scraggy) which could slighlty explain water/electric.
Plus there are folk tales about cloud frogs and thunder and hes got the cloud bubble growth stuff on him.
Im picking froakie no matter what and im just hoping hes a fast as heck ninja frog with some sage references who hits hard and fast and has a nice option to leave, STAB Volt Switch would be awesome

Status
Not open for further replies.