• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Speculation/Discussion Thread

Which starter would you use?

• Chespin

Votes: 845 26.8%
  • Fennekin

Votes: 1,329 42.2%
  • Froakie

Votes: 849 27.0%
  • NONE, Dunsparce looks better

Votes: 127 4.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Froakin' Koga

Do you see cradily having any use? And although grass helps mitigate the added water and ground weaknesses, you are giving chespin a weakness to one of the most used types in most tiers, although it does make a suggestion towards a high defense, hence my doedicurus theory, but I was saying that would have steel/ground as a secondary type.

I hope for a fast physical attacker with grass fighting type, or bulky tank with ground or steel with a secondary type, and even though it is less competitive defensively, I'd prefer ground on a defensive version.

Then Chespin would be Torterra. Lets forget about defense for a moment and look at attack. With Stab rock he can actually stand up against ice, fire, flying, and bugs. Things that no other grass starter could manage. His only true threat would be steel and fighting. and im sure a nice movepool can help that. GF will not go through Torterra again and i would rather see an offensive grass/rock than a defensive grass/steel imo

Ghosts of the Forums

Who Ya Gonna Call?
I would not mind something like this: Evo fan art and he made a sprite of it too: Sprite If it has to go ground or rock I would pick ground. As long as it goes along with this kinda style.

I guess it's ok, reminds me of Ttar. And maybe it should be a second stage instead of final evo.

Then Chespin would be Torterra. Lets forget about defense for a moment and look at attack. With Stab rock he can actually stand up against ice, fire, flying, and bugs. Things that no other grass starter could manage. His only true threat would be steel and fighting. and im sure a nice movepool can help that. GF will not go through Torterra again and i would rather see an offensive grass/rock than a defensive grass/steel imo

True, true. That could be nice. Although I really hope for fighting, you have changed my mind about rock.

willda

Fire starter
Do you see cradily having any use? And although grass helps mitigate the added water and ground weaknesses, you are giving chespin a weakness to one of the most used types in most tiers(If you are talking about Fighting It would already have this with steel), although it does make a suggestion towards a high defense, hence my doedicurus theory, but I was saying that would have steel/ground as a secondary type.

I hope for a fast physical attacker with grass fighting type, or bulky tank with ground or steel with a secondary type, and even though it is less competitive defensively, I'd prefer ground on a defensive version.

Well I have actually seen cradily be effective on some stall and bulky teams it could even be used last gen in the OU, but that arguement is pointless too, but I do agree that steel is the preferred typing should be grass/steel IMO steel is the best partner type for grass as it covers 80% of grasses weaknesses, while also have the immunity to leech seed, while using it's own leech seed as a viable means of recovery, something most steel types lack, But I just had to disagree with grass/rock being a "stupid" type, a stupid type would be Normal by itself or, since we are talking about starters, Grass/bug would be suicide and grass/Ice is also asking for trouble without a decent ability.

Froakin' Koga

I dont know why i cant get into grass/steel... I just think Game Freak wont go with the walling grass again. I also think that they will pass on the grass/steel this generation since we JUST had Ferrothorn and it pretty much was the ideal grass/steel. like Cradily with an upgrade. I think they will go offensive with chespin. and rock is the perfect match to make that happen

EliJolesy

I would not mind something like this: Evo fan art and he made a sprite of it too: Sprite If it has to go ground or rock I would pick ground. As long as it goes along with this kinda style.

See my problem with Chespin is I ain't got a clue where the heck he's going. I mean Fennekin is gonna be a fox one way of another and Froakie is gonna be a frog. That I know and it makes me feel less nervous about which one I'm gonna pick. But I can't do that with Chespin. I ain't got clue WHAT he is. That picture is the first one that makes sense

X Rat

Chespin is a hedgehog, which is made clear by his name in every other language except English (for some reason).

Flame Haji

Ground Gym Leader
See my problem with Chespin is I ain't got a clue where the heck he's going. I mean Fennekin is gonna be a fox one way of another and Froakie is gonna be a frog. That I know and it makes me feel less nervous about which one I'm gonna pick. But I can't do that with Chespin. I ain't got clue WHAT he is. That picture is the first one that makes sense

Ya he is a hedgehog, so I would think spikes and stuff that looks along the lines of a hedgehog.

TheEliteEmpoleon

Chespin is a hedgehog, which is made clear by his name in every other language except English (for some reason).

I guess the 'pin' part kind does the trick.

I agree with Froakin' Koga that Chespin will go offensive, hopefully Grass/Ground or even /Dark.

X Rat

"Pin" could refer to a number of animals, porcupine, for one.

Edit P.S.: (Actually, pin would not necessarily need to refer to anything other than a pin). Knowing what he is, the name works, but I bet forums in other languages do not have the majority of uninitiated posters asking what he is.

Last edited:

Zix Serro

Still kinda hoping for the grass/dark, fire/psychic, water/fighting typing as they evolve. Am I the only one? That way each starter has a STAB advantage against the other two, which would be brilliant, imo...

X Rat

Charmander, if anything, is based on a mythological "salamander". He does not even really resemble an actual salamander (which is, I believe, a variety of amphibian).

TheEliteEmpoleon

Charmander the Salamander became a freaking Dragon. Remoraid turned into a freaking Octopus for no explained reason. anythings possible

Actually, Remoraid and Octillery are based of off artillary and weaponry or something along those lines.

EliJolesy

Ya he is a hedgehog, so I would think spikes and stuff that looks along the lines of a hedgehog.

See I don't see the hedgehog. He needs more spikes seems to me...

X Rat

Well, the thing everyone thinks is a hat is actually connected to his back. That is where his spikes will be most likely. (Already has a few)

Froakin' Koga

Yea, I remember Remoraid's situation. Charmander's situation was believable since they're both reptiles.

Yes reptiles. one a mythical flying, fire spitting beast, but a reptile nonetheless. And somehow Charmeleon the Chameleon actually tied them together nicely. I guess if feebas can become beautiful and magically transform into a water worm then alright lol

Zix Serro

Isn't Chespin supposed to be based off of some early mammal from prehistoric times? I thought I saw that somewhere...

Status
Not open for further replies.