• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Speculation/Discussion Thread

Which starter would you use?

• Chespin

Votes: 845 26.8%
  • Fennekin

Votes: 1,329 42.2%
  • Froakie

Votes: 849 27.0%
  • NONE, Dunsparce looks better

Votes: 127 4.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

pokedigijedi

Saiyan Jedi
You mean the oshawott factor?

yes except at least oshawott was based of a marine mammal. unlike froakie.
what i was basically say was an amphibian turning into an mammal

LeoP2008

Trainer/Coordinator
For me, it was...

Gen1: Bulbasaur, though Charmander was the most popular. Never cared for Squirtle...
Gen2: Totodile seemed like the most popular. I chose Cyndaquil. BUT, I used neither. Why when Houndoom and Kingdra existed??
Gen3: Treeko seemed like the most popular but I always chose Torchic.
Gen4: I can't recall who was the most popular.......I chose Turtwig.
Gen5: Snivy was the most popular (the Fennekin of her day) but I chose Oshawott.
Gen6: Fennekin is CLEARLY everyone's favorite but my signature will tell you who I like. :D

BUT, that's neither here nor there. We're dealing with how AWESOME these newbies are...

Fennekin Sig Move: Ear Flare
Chespin Sig Move: Hat Attack
Froakie Sig Move: OHK of Epicness

~

LoL!! Personally, I'm hoping the GenVI starters all get signature moves based on their secondary types (if they get secondary types, that is) with effects common to their primary typing. Hypothetically, let's assume the typing is Grass/Rock, Fire/Psychic, Water/Electric....

Chespin - Moss Crusher - Rock-type move - Deals 70 damage. Has 10% chance of causing sleep, poison, paralysis

Fennekin - Pyrokinesis - Psychic-type move - Deals 70 damage. Has 30% chance of causing burn

Froakie - Flash Flood - Electric-Type move - Trap move. Keeps everyone from switching out. Occasionally shocks everyone but the user. Shocks have a 10% chance of paralysis

Last edited:

Mijuwott

Poppstar Sunshine
I'm not sure how far we can stretch out our speculations since we don't have to much to awe over anymore. Unless in a couple of days they show us the second evolution silhouettes we can't do more than wonder how the stats are going to be or their typing. I guess we could wonder if they'll have a weird BST or question their height, weight or move sets...

sflytal

It's a good point. Right now the speculations are wild because we have little to go on. You'd think with more info we would guess more things but with more info we'll have less to guess about.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
I think I'm going to choose Fennekin. I like it's design the best out of the 3 and it's soo cute XD
I wonder what fire types moves it'll learn, I'm guessing probably ember. I would love to see it learn flare blitz or some type of new fire type move in its final form.

john90

Growlite/Arcanine
Vulpix/ Ninetales
Meowth/Persian
Eevee/Eeveelutions
Snubull/Granbull
Houndour/Houndoom
Poochyena/Mightyena
Skitty/Delcatty
Electrike/Manectric
Absol
Shinx/Luxio/Luxray
Glameow/Purugly
Lillipup/Herdier/Stoutland
Purrloin/Liepard
Zorua/Zoroark

Will Fennekin be the only cattish/doggish pokemon to get a second type after Houndour? Imo It will not.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I'm hoping that the middle evolved forms of them look really good. For some reason, middle evolutions aren't really liked as much as their base and 2nd form.

That's because they serve as an interim between the base form and the fully-evolved form. They basically have no other purpose. Not that I'm complaining; I'm only here for the base forms of the Starter Pokemon anyway. That's why I love Queen Fennekin; she's so cute and graceful and I don't expect her evolved forms to be as good.

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
That's because they serve as an interim between the base form and the fully-evolved form.

Yeah, that's probably it. With a couple exceptions (the ones that most likely come to mind being Grovyle and Dewott), they always seem to get overlooked for the cute base forms or the awesome final forms in both advertising and popularity. Shame too since there are some pretty good ones.

pacack825

A meowing duck.
I have a possible name origin for chespin. The french word "chevalier" is a word that referred to a knight, in particular, one that was on horseback. However, this word was commonly used to refer to any kind of knight in time. Then, the french word "pin" can refer to either a pin (same word in English and French) or a pine tree/needle. I just noticed the "che" in chevalier while researching, and thought I might look from there. "che" also refers to chestnuts in all translations, but think about the double meaning we have in the name with these meanings! "che" can refer to the beginning of the french word for knight or for the beginning of the word chestnut (or the beginning of chest-piece if you think about it), while the "pin" part can refer to a pin (aka needle) or pine...(or pine needle) maybe that's the point! I wouldn't be surprised if the grass on chespin's head is a helmet and he becomes more knight-like as he evolves. Thoughts?

EDIT: Also, Puerco espín means porcupine (lol, porqu'pine') in Spanish, and espin itself means thorn! :D And pinuti was a Filipino farming tool that was used as a sword. I'm seeing a pattern.

Last edited:

LeoP2008

Trainer/Coordinator
Yeah, that's probably it. With a couple exceptions (the ones that most likely come to mind being Grovyle and Dewott), they always seem to get overlooked for the cute base forms or the awesome final forms in both advertising and popularity. Shame too since there are some pretty good ones.

Which I find ironic. IMO, the middle forms are usually a perfect mix of cute but intimidating. Remember Ivysaur and Wartortle?? Cute but slightly scary-looking. Likewise, Grovyle and Dewott looked more epic than Sceptile and Samurott, to me...

The only final form looks I find to be a major improvement are Charizard, Feraligatr, Blaziken, Infernape, Torterra, and Serperior. Everyone else (even my precious Venusaur) looked....odd...

Last edited:

pacack825

A meowing duck.
Which I find ironic. IMO, the middle forms are usually a perfect mix of cute but intimidating. Remember Ivysaur and Wartortle?? Cute but slightly scary-looking. Likewise, Grovyle and Dewott looked more epic than Sceptile and Samurott, to me...

The only final form looks I find to be a major improvement are Charizard, Feraligatr, Blaziken, Infernape, Torterra, and Serperior. Everyone else (even my precious Venusaur) looked....odd...
Hey, I liked grotle the most out of the torterra line.

Zyon

NUM NUM NUM
I have a feeling my opinion get's switched around every time I post on this topic about the new starters lol.

Anyways, until more information is released about the three starters I'm still undecided on which one I'll be picking. Like I said in a previous post I think Gen IV may turn out just like Gen III for me, were I love all three of the starters for their designs and in my play though.
So far Hoenn is the only region were it doesn't matter which starter I pick. Where as for the other regions I'll just choose the fire starter, or on the odd occasions the water starter(Jhoto, Unova). Sadly I have no love for the grass starters(in-game wise) except for Treecko, but I'll admit I do love the design of Snivy and it's evolutions. Serperior is just awesome looking :)

GoldCyndaquil

Shiny Hunter
I'm really hoping that Chespin's evos do justice to it's cuteness. I've seen some fakemon pics of the green part on its back turning into a hedge (ha ha, hedge hog...funny) and then the final evo is this MASSIVE tank with this hideous bush just sprouting out from its neck. Not very appealing. I want the Chespin-line to remain sleek and focus mostly on Sp.Atk and Speed, while still keeping justice to the other stats. Depending on how the evos turn out, I may end up picking Froakie instead...to keep my water type picks.

Growlite/Arcanine
Vulpix/ Ninetales
Meowth/Persian
Eevee/Eeveelutions
Snubull/Granbull
Houndour/Houndoom
Poochyena/Mightyena
Skitty/Delcatty
Electrike/Manectric
Absol
Shinx/Luxio/Luxray
Glameow/Purugly
Lillipup/Herdier/Stoutland
Purrloin/Liepard
Zorua/Zoroark

Will Fennekin be the only cattish/doggish pokemon to get a second type after Houndour? Imo It will not.

It's a good thing that Gamefreak isn't limited to past coincidental trends telling them what to do.

It would be a unique concept if they introduced a starter that has a branched evolutionary line.

If they did it for one, they'd do it for all 3. The starters represent a balanced, fair choice for new trainers, with no one being better than the rest. Of course, stat and movepool-wise this doesn't always ring true, but for the most part that's the idea.

willda

Fire starter

Yea tbh second forms are like teenagers, they have lost the adorable innocence factor that kids/base forms have, but have not yet gained the intimidating and respect commanding aspect the adult/final forms have. excluding Grovyle, quilava and Dewott all second stages starters look incredibly awkward to me.

Ungoliath

Not a GenWunner
I have a possible name origin for chespin. The french word "chevalier" is a word that referred to a knight, in particular, one that was on horseback. However, this word was commonly used to refer to any kind of knight in time. Then, the french word "pin" can refer to either a pin (same word in English and French) or a pine tree/needle. I just noticed the "che" in chevalier while researching, and thought I might look from there. "che" also refers to chestnuts in all translations, but think about the double meaning we have in the name with these meanings! "che" can refer to the beginning of the french word for knight or for the beginning of the word chestnut (or the beginning of chest-piece if you think about it), while the "pin" part can refer to a pin (aka needle) or pine...(or pine needle) maybe that's the point! I wouldn't be surprised if the grass on chespin's head is a helmet and he becomes more knight-like as he evolves. Thoughts?

EDIT: Also, Puerco espín means porcupine (lol, porqu'pine') in Spanish, and espin itself means thorn! :D And pinuti was a Filipino farming tool that was used as a sword. I'm seeing a pattern.
Good eye!
If this would be the case I would be delighted of all the word puns and concept in general.
Chespin seems to be the richest one in terms of potential concepts so far. If He becomes a knight, He might be my second Pokemon as soon as I start the game.

LOL, I liked more Grotle as was said and Combusken. But I agree with you wholeheartedly.

john90

It's a good thing that Gamefreak isn't limited to past coincidental trends telling them what to do.

You are right. In fact coincidental trends gave us 3 fire/fighting starter.. -.-

pacack825

A meowing duck.
Good eye!
If this would be the case I would be delighted of all the word puns and concept in general.
Chespin seems to be the richest one in terms of potential concepts so far. If He becomes a knight, He might be my second Pokemon as soon as I start the game.

LOL, I liked more Grotle as was said and Combusken. But I agree with you wholeheartedly.
I'm getting chespin if I'm right about this. A knight/chipmunk is EPIC.

Status
Not open for further replies.