• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Speculation/Discussion Thread

Which starter would you use?

• Chespin

Votes: 845 26.8%
  • Fennekin

Votes: 1,329 42.2%
  • Froakie

Votes: 849 27.0%
  • NONE, Dunsparce looks better

Votes: 127 4.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
I have a possible name origin for chespin. The french word "chevalier" is a word that referred to a knight, in particular, one that was on horseback. However, this word was commonly used to refer to any kind of knight in time. Then, the french word "pin" can refer to either a pin (same word in English and French) or a pine tree/needle. I just noticed the "che" in chevalier while researching, and thought I might look from there. "che" also refers to chestnuts in all translations, but think about the double meaning we have in the name with these meanings! "che" can refer to the beginning of the french word for knight or for the beginning of the word chestnut (or the beginning of chest-piece if you think about it), while the "pin" part can refer to a pin (aka needle) or pine...(or pine needle) maybe that's the point! I wouldn't be surprised if the grass on chespin's head is a helmet and he becomes more knight-like as he evolves. Thoughts?

EDIT: Also, Puerco espín means porcupine (lol, porqu'pine') in Spanish, and espin itself means thorn! :D And pinuti was a Filipino farming tool that was used as a sword. I'm seeing a pattern.

That's a pretty cool observation, I'd love to see Chespin as a knight.

Continuing off of that theme, maybe Fennekin could be a mage prince/princess that Chespin has to guard and Froakie could either be the king/queen that can fight or a thief out to get at the "Kingdom" of the starters.

Yea tbh second forms are like teenagers, they have lost the adorable innocence factor that kids/base forms have, but have not yet gained the intimidating and respect commanding aspect the adult/final forms have. excluding Grovyle, quilava and Dewott all second stages starters look incredibly awkward to me.

Pretty much.

Last edited:

pacack825

A meowing duck.
That's a pretty cool observation, I'd love to see Chespin as a knight.

Continuing off of that theme, maybe Fennekin could be a prince/princess that Chespin has to guard/save and Froakie could either be the king that can fight or a thief out to get at the "Kingdom" of the starters.

Pretty much, that's a great comparison.
Froakie looks like a king a bit to me, but also like Benjamin Franklin ._.

LizardonX

Banned
Froakie has a certain....thing on his face. I can never pick him bcause of it.

I'll probably go fennekin because my first starter is always fire.

pacack825

A meowing duck.
Froakie has a certain....thing on his face. I can never pick him bcause of it.

I'll probably go fennekin because my first starter is always fire.
It's bifocals.

willda

Fire starter
Only time will tell GF almost always throws us for a loop, they may all get the same secondary type, It would be strange but you honestly never know, they may all become part ghost! (quite unlikely though)

pacack825

A meowing duck.

pacack825

A meowing duck.

remybutton

Hmm, Fennekin for now. But for me to actually choose one, I'd have to see the evolved forms and the stats spread first.

X Rat

I am not totally sure on this, but I think in some languages the words for porcupine and hedgehog are similar. Strangely enough, if you look up hedgehog on dictionary.com, one of the definitions is porcupine (don't know why, they are clearly different animals).

pacack825

A meowing duck.
I am not totally sure on this, but I think in some languages the words for porcupine and hedgehog are similar. Strangely enough, if you look up hedgehog on dictionary.com, one of the definitions is porcupine (don't know why, they are clearly different animals).
Literally, the spanish word for porcupine means "spiky pig" so...

Eh. He's a hedgehog, as implied in his name in other languages and slightly in English.
His name in every other language says otherwise.

You two are fighting a losing battle trying to convince me that Chespin is not
a.) brown
b.) a rodent

Oh, so it's name implies that it's a hedgehog? Whoop-dee-doo.

Patrat's implies that it's a rat/packrat. It is neither of those things, being that it is either a prairie dog, meerkat, or even perhaps a chipmunk.

applemania

I'm definitely choosing Fennekin, which just so happens to even out my starter type picks

Gen 1- Bulbasaur
Gen 2- Totodile
Gen 3- Torchic
Gen 4- Piplup
Gen 5- Snivy
Gen 6- Fennekin

I think Bulbasaur, Totodile and Fennekin are my 3 favorite starters ever (not counting evos necessarily)

TheEliteEmpoleon

You two are fighting a losing battle trying to convince me that Chespin is not
a.) brown
b.) a rodent

Oh, so it's name implies that it's a hedgehog?

I'm pretty sure I didn't even have the words brown and rodent in my post, smarts. I was trying to convince you that Chespin is based off of a hedgehog, not something general like a "brown rodent".

I'm pretty sure I didn't even have the words brown and rodent in my post, smarts. I was trying to convince you that Chespin is based off of a hedgehog, not something general like a "brown rodent".

Hedgehog or not, when someone interprets him as a chipmunk, it's not your opportunity to shoot him/her down based on some trivial non-binding information like name origin. Because as we know, said origins don't always accurately reflect the design. Looking at chespin, he bares loose resemblance to a hedgehog, so there's likely something there, but he looks a helluva lot more like a chipmunk.

EDIT: IMHO and the humble opinions of many fellow posters.
EDIT 2: And I understand you used neither of those words, but those were my exact words, and you did quote my post, so I assumed you'd remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.