• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Speculation/Discussion Thread

Which starter would you use?

• Chespin

Votes: 845 26.8%
  • Fennekin

Votes: 1,329 42.2%
  • Froakie

Votes: 849 27.0%
  • NONE, Dunsparce looks better

Votes: 127 4.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SlowPokeBroKing

Future Gym Leader
well yeah i just didn't wanna say anything to upset
Who's getting upset? I'm just pointing something out that no one has mentioned.
I'm not saying specifically that I think it's Growl. I'm just saying that it could be any number of moves and not necessarily a psychic move.
I think people are saying psychic because the move was purple and wavy and because they're so obsessed with the reverse triangle.
The reverse triangle is fine and a psychic Fennekin is fine, but that's not the only option involving that trio.

Yveltal96

A little more human
Who's getting upset? I'm just pointing something out that no one has mentioned.
I'm not saying specifically that I think it's Growl. I'm just saying that it could be any number of moves and not necessarily a psychic move.
I think people are saying psychic because the move was purple and wavy and because they're so obsessed with the reverse triangle.
The reverse triangle is fine and a psychic Fennekin is fine, but that's not the only option involving that trio.

also chespin looked like he was using shadow claw or night slaw which both are supper effective against the golurk he hit

I will not speculate any further. I'm just sick of being a Cascade Trainer if you know what I mean.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
*Prays to Oshawott that the new X & Y info in next week's Pokemon Smash is about the Starters' evolved forms* Oh who I am kidding, Gamefreak probably wants to milk the Starters' base forms since they're marketable. We'll be lucky to have their evolved forms revealed before the games are released. Oh and I'm still pressed and seething at the poll.

Yveltal96

A little more human
*Prays to Oshawott that the new X & Y info in next week's Pokemon Smash is about the Starters' evolved forms* Oh who I am kidding, Gamefreak probably wants to milk the Starters' base forms since they're marketable. We'll be lucky to have their evolved forms revealed before the games are released. Oh and I'm still pressed and seething at the poll.

yeah i would expect news on legendaries before the starters unfortunately :/
and what angers you about the poll?

ToasterBrains

Ghost Tamer
Oh and I'm still pressed and seething at the poll.

The bars on the pole resemble an extended middle finger. So there you go.
Mmmmyep.

I hope one of the starters evolves into an x/ghost type.
That needs to happen one of these days.
Especially the fire starter, because I like the concept of fiery ghosts.

...But that will never happen. As long as Fennekin doesn't end up being another fighting fire starter I'll be fine.

...I probably won't even use it much.

Yveltal96

A little more human
The bars on the pole resemble an extended middle finger. So there you go.
Mmmmyep.

I hope one of the starters evolves into an x/ghost type.
That needs to happen one of these days.
Especially the fire starter, because I like the concept of fiery ghosts.

...But that will never happen. As long as Fennekin doesn't end up being another fighting fire starter I'll be fine.

...I probably won't even use it much.

i agree but not this gen cuz i don't think any of em could resemble a ghost type but one gen they need to make the starters grass/ghost, fire/ghost, and water/ghost it would be fun

PKMN KING

Ozymandias
Fennekin

- pure: just a bigger fox in the end
- psyhic: third eye
- ground: a sphinx head peace thingy
- flying: big ears as wings or the feet are wings

Fennekin

- pure: just a bigger fox in the end
- psyhic: third eye
- ground: a sphinx head peace thingy
- flying: big ears as wings or the feet are wings

No. Never. I will bomb Nintendo.

What I don't understand about all the PSYC/DARK/FGHT triangle discussion is why everyone is saying it HAS to be Fennekin as the psychic, Froakie as the fighter, and Chespin as the dark type. Why can't Fennekin be dark, Froakie be psychic, and Chespin be fighting? "Blah blah blah the moves in the trailer" is the single poorest argument besides the "It just looks like it will" argument. We have zero idea what those moves were and there are several pokemon that learn moves outside their type. Speculation requires open minds and logic. While the reverse type advantage trio is an awesome idea, it is not limited to the widely praised psychic Fennekin theory. The only thing Fennekin looks like is a golden-orange fox.

Also, before someone says that the PSYC/DARK/FGHT triangle doesn't work because of Dark's immunity to Psychic: THAT IS IRRELEVANT. We are talking about advantages, not disadvantages and immunities. It's like saying you want to be able to use a x.5 attack on your opponent. THAT MAKES A WHOLE HEAP OF SENSE.

i posted about this a looong time ago.
mudkip learns mud slap early on, and it becomes ground.
bulbasaur learns poisonpowder early on, it stays grass/poison

most of the rest of the starters learn only fire/grass/water type or normal moves depending on their type. the moves they learn that aren't their own pure type usually give a big clue as to what type they're gonna end up as. torchic and piplup are exceptions because they're birds and of course birds will learn moves like peck. it's not as concrete that foxes learn psychic moves because look at zorua and zoroark.

Zachmac

most of the rest of the starters learn only fire/grass/water type or normal moves depending on their type. the moves they learn that aren't their own pure type usually give a big clue as to what type they're gonna end up as. torchic and piplup are exceptions because they're birds and of course birds will learn moves like peck. it's not as concrete that foxes learn psychic moves because look at zorua and zoroark.
How are you so sure that TMs aren't involved?

And Charmander gets Dragon Rage, and Tepig gets Smog. Oshawott gets Fury Cutter.

Last edited:

Lost Lore

Diving Deep

...But Zorua and Zoroark can learn Psychic moves...? Agility, Imprison, Calm Mind, Extrasensory and Trick. (And Rest, but everything that can learn TMs can learn that, so.)

I do suppose it's possible that the move Fennekin used could be something else... A sound-based move seems likely considering I recall it coming from its muzzle? In that case, perhaps Hyper Voice? Since Growl doesn't deal damage, and Kirlia does appear to flinch when it's hit...

Does that mean we're getting Fire/Normal then? :p

[aka]

...But Zorua and Zoroark can learn Psychic moves...? Agility, Imprison, Calm Mind, Extrasensory and Trick. (And Rest, but everything that can learn TMs can learn that, so.)

I do suppose it's possible that the move Fennekin used could be something else... A sound-based move seems likely considering I recall it coming from its muzzle? In that case, perhaps Hyper Voice? Since Growl doesn't deal damage, and Kirlia does appear to flinch when it's hit...

Does that mean we're getting Fire/Normal then? :p
Zorua and Zorork aren't starters though; how are they relevant evidence?
Pink waves implies (if only to me) Psychic. I'm really not sure what else it could be.

That said, will Chespin turn into a /Flying-type? It'd be quite the interesting twist in my opinion. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.