• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Speculation/Discussion Thread

Which starter would you use?

• Chespin

Votes: 845 26.8%
  • Fennekin

Votes: 1,329 42.2%
  • Froakie

Votes: 849 27.0%
  • NONE, Dunsparce looks better

Votes: 127 4.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yveltal96

A little more human
kirlia clearly takes damage from the attack so it makes no sense that it would be a move to lower stats

Xadium

Poliwhirl Enthusiast
Yeah, I'd say that Kirlia's animation when being attacked by Fennekin is probably the "damage" animation.

Yveltal96

A little more human
also that would be kinda boring to put a status move in a trailer
"oh no fennekin is so dangerous he growled at kirlia"
no one would pick him
well that's not entirely true considering fennekin is "the cute one"

LeoP2008

Trainer/Coordinator
1) Gardenia would hate and lurv this 'mon.
2) Grass/Dark is an original typing, and gives it more design choices then ghost. (Ghost would be whispy, but Dark could be anything...)
3) The wanted Dark/Psy/Fight thing is very likely.

1.) Niiiice. I forgot about Gardenia hating ghosts...
2.) Shiftry. But, I see where you're coming from. If he is Grass/Dark, he had BETTER be more amazing. Though, you gotta admit, Chespin taking a ghostly appearance would be soooo shocking for his fans. I know I wouldn't see it coming!! :p
3.) Why?? Because the fans wish for it to be?? I'm not discrediting you or anything, but that Dark/Psychic/Fighting trinity deal has been hoped for since Gen 3. I'm not saying it won't happen but simply WANTING it to happen doesn't make it so...

slyfincleton

A melting cone...
1.) Niiiice. I forgot about Gardenia hating ghosts...
2.) Shiftry. But, I see where you're coming from. If he is Grass/Dark, he had BETTER be more amazing. Though, you gotta admit, Chespin taking a ghostly appearance would be soooo shocking for his fans. I know I wouldn't see it coming!! :p
3.) Why?? Because the fans wish for it to be?? I'm not discrediting you or anything, but that Dark/Psychic/Fighting trinity deal has been hoped for since Gen 3. I'm not saying it won't happen but simply WANTING it to happen doesn't make it so...
Myself and many others feel that there is symbolism toward those starter types in the x and y trailer. the second move that each starter uses seems to correlate with each of those types, implying that they could be secondary types.

Xadium

Poliwhirl Enthusiast
I'm honestly inclined to believe that the second moves used in the trailer have nothing to do with typing, and everyone is eagerly reading into it far too much. For example, did Torchic ever use a Fighting move in a trailer? Did Piplup ever use a Steel move?

slyfincleton

A melting cone...
I'm honestly inclined to believe that the second moves used in the trailer have nothing to do with typing, and everyone is eagerly reading into it far too much. For example, did Torchic ever use a Fighting move in a trailer? Did Piplup ever use a Steel move?
That's a logical viewpoint, and we honestly have no way of knowing until official details are released, but I find it hard to believe that it they would waste time on moves that seem abnormal for the starters to have when the trailer is only a little over a minute long.
The way the trailer is structured is also different from past trailers, so I don't think it's relevant if previous starters used moves of their secondary type in past trailers.
Just my opinion.

jakovu

h0D64AD0B

Well, what are the chances of the little fox being a fighting type? As long as his evolution stays on its fours, things will be fine, right?

I know this is a late response, but... what are the chances of a little pig and a little chicken becoming a Fighting type?

And about the all fours thing....

:638: :639: :640: :647:

Attachments

• legendary_musketeers_by_mcsaurus-d4sxjhs.jpg
    legendary_musketeers_by_mcsaurus-d4sxjhs.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 57

LeoP2008

Trainer/Coordinator

^THIS. Where as the move seen make the Starters more likely to have certain types, they are certainly no indication...

For all we know, Chespin could be dual Electric, Fennekin could be dual Ice, and/or Froakie could be dual Bug. A Stage-1 starter's appearance is never a good indication to its secondary typing. The Stage-2's appearance can be, however (unless you're Charmeleon and Prinplup)...

Yveltal96

A little more human
ok i get we can't speculate about pokemon about their moves and we didn't get as big of a reveal for R/S/E or D/P so i find the argument invalid.
and i'm not judging it based purely off of moves just the physique of fennekin screams psychic to me you know?

Did you guys know that mankey and primape are "Pig monkey" pokemon according the pokedex? it looks like a monkey, but have noses like pigs?

I think fennekin could be a "Elephant fox" pokemon. Because it looks like a fox and its ears can perhaps transform like an elephant or something similiar to Shaymin sky form.

I knew that. And an elephant fox is a horrible idea. Big ears doesn't mean that it's gonna be Dumbo.
Primape was odd. Because first gen centered around genetics, they had a decent reason to make the odd hybrid.

yoshi007

Ice Type Trainer
^THIS. Where as the move seen make the Starters more likely to have certain types, they are certainly no indication...

For all we know, Chespin could be dual Electric, Fennekin could be dual Ice, and/or Froakie could be dual Bug. A Stage-1 starter's appearance is never a good indication to its secondary typing. The Stage-2's appearance can be, however (unless you're Charmeleon and Prinplup)...

OMG you have no idea how stoked I'd be if that happened. I would love a Fire/Ice type, I already love Fennekin, Ice is my favourite type... awww you've got me wanting now. xD I know it's very unlikely though. I'll be perfectly happy with whatever secondary type Fennekin's evolutions get... heck, I might even be ok if it is Fighting, as long as it still looks great and doesn't turn into the monstrosity that is Emboar. :L

Not that I don't like Emboar, I just don't like it as an evo of Tepig... but hey, that's another conversation from a couple of years ago.

Also something I've noticed, everyone always mentions Shiftry when Grass/Dark is mentioned but no-one ever mentions Cacturne...

LeoP2008

Trainer/Coordinator
yeah i don't see fennekin being part ice
i mean ice is a cool type and all but defensively, it's an atrocious

I really don't see Fennekin being part Ice either (But, then again, I didn't see Piplup being part Steel :/)

If the typing were true, however, she'd be weak to Fight, Ground, Rock (x2), and Water. ALL of those types are very common, offensively. She'd resist Bug, Grass, and Ice (x2) but how often do you see those attacks??

BUT, on the flip-side, she'd be an offensive powerhouse.

Yveltal96

A little more human
I really don't see Fennekin being part Ice either (But, then again, I didn't see Piplup being part Steel :/)

If the typing were true, however, she'd be weak to Fight, Ground, Rock (x2), and Water. ALL of those types are very common, offensively. She'd resist Bug, Grass, and Ice (x2) but how often do you see those attacks??

BUT, on the flip-side, she'd be an offensive powerhouse.
that's what i was thinking
but if they did make a fire/ice pokemon it wouldn't be a starter the usually really awkward type combos are saved for later

Draqunity

I think that Fennekin could prolly be Fire/Dark. Foxes are tricky, dark, etc. Dark attacks could be pink-purple, (pursuit was in R/S). Froakie could easily be Water/Ground, as Sesmitoad was. Chespin is something I have no idea about. Possibly Grass-Fighting. I agree about Fire/Ice, that's a weird combo that should be late-game.

This terrifies me.
2013-02-01-460-Starters.jpg

Yveltal96

A little more human
I think that Fennekin could prolly be Fire/Dark. Foxes are tricky, dark, etc. Dark attacks could be pink-purple, (pursuit was in R/S). Froakie could easily be Water/Ground, as Sesmitoad was. Chespin is something I have no idea about. Possibly Grass-Fighting. I agree about Fire/Ice, that's a weird combo that should be late-game.

This terrifies me.
2013-02-01-460-Starters.jpg

fennekin best not look like that lol
and chespin being part fighting would be cool
IMO i wish for him to be grass/dark mostly cause it's a unique type (yes ik shiftry is grass/dark as well)
also it would be a terror on offense as shiftry is and he could get STAB sucker punch

Status
Not open for further replies.