• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Speculation/Discussion Thread

Which starter would you use?

• Chespin

Votes: 845 26.8%
  • Fennekin

Votes: 1,329 42.2%
  • Froakie

Votes: 849 27.0%
  • NONE, Dunsparce looks better

Votes: 127 4.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

adl222

obviously some type combinations will be reused. the problem is having 3 consecutive fire/fighting starters.
i think its just lazy of GF not to think of anything else.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
obviously some type combinations will be reused. the problem is having 3 consecutive fire/fighting starters.
i think its just lazy of GF not to think of anything else.

And the use of Normal/Flying Birds each gen?

Just don't use them it's not that hard.

BurningWhiteKyurem

I was talking about the animation....

It actually only hits once, the animation where the user moves is misleading on purpose and meant to display the user moving in high-speed, to the point where the opponent has no idea where the Pokemon is. The actual attack is the diagonal slash that the defending Pokemon is hit by. It's clever that the attack is delayed because it shows how the opponent's Pokemon is hit unexpectedly.

This is actually seen in the attack description.

The user confounds the target with speed, then slashes. The attack lands without fail.

Yveltal96

A little more human
It actually only hits once, the animation where the user moves is misleading on purpose and meant to display the user moving in high-speed, to the point where the opponent has no idea where the Pokemon is. The actual attack is the diagonal slash that the defending Pokemon is hit by. It's clever that the attack is delayed because it shows how the opponent's Pokemon is hit unexpectedly.

This is actually seen in the attack description.

oooooo Aerial Ace?
if he can learn that then i think he should be able to learn night slash and shadow claw as well

[aka]

oooooo Aerial Ace?
if he can learn that then i think he should be able to learn night slash and shadow claw as well

And Leaf Blade too, hopefully. xD

Also, here's this from Bulbapedia's Arial Ace page:
The Japanese name of this move, つばめがえし Swallow Return (more commonly known in English as the "Turning Swallow Cut"), is probably taken from the signature technique of the legendary swordsman Sasaki Kojirō (the namesake of Team Rocket's James). It is widely believed that it consisted of first a rapid downward slash from above, immediately followed by an upward slash on the same line (this same motion is used for the move's animation in Generations IV and V). Its name came from Kojirō's observations of the motion of a swallow's tail in flight.
So the move does apparently hit twice, it just doesn't do damage twice.

BurningWhiteKyurem

[aka];15744178 said:
And Leaf Blade too, hopefully. xD

Also, here's this from Bulbapedia's Arial Ace page:
So the move does apparently hit twice, it just doesn't do damage twice.

You know...when you said that example from bulbagarden, the X and Y trailer actually does show Golurk getting hit twice, both upwards and downwards by the pokemon using Aerial Ace. Looks like it sort of confirms what you said (assuming the animations are kept for final copy).

I'm guessing graphical limitations preventing GF from displaying the upwards/downwards motion?

Nacreous

Fire trainer
You know...when you said that example from bulbagarden, the X and Y trailer actually does show Golurk getting hit twice, both upwards and downwards by the pokemon using Aerial Ace. Looks like it sort of confirms what you said (assuming the animations are kept for final copy).

I'm guessing graphical limitations preventing GF from displaying the upwards/downwards motion?

It's so obvious that Chespin uses Aerial Ace but people don't want to accept it because it might interfere with their fantasy of it using Shadow Claw/Night Slash and becoming a Grass/Dark cool assasin.Grow up!

The one that came with all those rumors said something really interesting about Chespin becoming Grass/Flying and being based on...I can't remember what.A plant that looked like insect wings.Come to think of it,Chespin does look somewhat aerodynamic.

Drohn

I'm not to sure about that. In the trailer, the move seems to hit more then once. Night Slash in Gen 4 and 5 hits more then once. Theory stays going.

Before you reply again to my post, I advise you actually play the game, and use the move like I have and look at the animation. It is not that difficult.. Then compare it with the trailer.. It is the same.

There IS a chance they use the exact same animation for two different moves, especially since it would be a new move they will most likely make an original animation for it. Anyway I find it unlikely. Next to that if the unlikely case is true, it is not confirmed to be a Dark type move. I am not saying Chespin isn't going to be Grass/Dark, but your reasoning is wrong. And I hope it won't be Grass/Dark, I don't really like the typing. I care more about design though.

EDIT: Or just look at the youtube video posted above, someone else posted proof of what I said :) ->THANKS Rocky505 for clearing this up!

Last edited:
Personally i really hope Froakie is not a Pure Water Type..while pure Water Types are allright..i would prefere if all 6th Gen Starter Evoultions had a secondary type

GoldenHouou

antagoonist
I'll probably go with Fennekin unless its two other forms are ugly or it turns out to be a Fire/Fighting type. I know, it's the popular choice, but what the heck.

For some reason, I keep seeing Froakie (whose name sucks in my opinion, btw) as a ground type along with the water. I don't even know why, it doesn't make much sense.

Personally i really hope Froakie is not a Pure Water Type..while pure Water Types are allright..i would prefere if all 6th Gen Starter Evoultions had a secondary type

I'm the exact opposite. I hope all three are monotypes like back in the old games, I feel it keeps the balance better. Giving Empoleon metal as a secondary type while Infernape had fighting was just... yeah.

Last edited:

Drohn

I'll probably go with Fennekin unless its two other forms are ugly or it turns out to be a Fire/Fighting type. I know, it's the popular choice, but what the heck.

For some reason, I keep seeing Froakie (whose name sucks in my opinion, btw) as a ground type along with the water. I don't even know why, it doesn't make much sense.

I'm the exact opposite. I hope all three are monotypes like back in the old games, I feel it keeps the balance better. Giving Empoleon metal as a secondary type while Infernape had fighting was just... yeah.

There has only been one generation where all types remained single type. I don't mind it but I prefer to have different types in my teams and I like good designs on the Pokemon I use. I always go trough the game with all starters (I could trade before between the DS and DSi, not sure if it will work now, might need someone to help me trade them and it might take a while since I don't have a 3ds yet and I'm not getting 2:p ).It helps if the starters have nice types to have more type variation in my team.

rocky505

It's so obvious that Chespin uses Aerial Ace but people don't want to accept it because it might interfere with their fantasy of it using Shadow Claw/Night Slash and becoming a Grass/Dark cool assasin.Grow up!

The one that came with all those rumors said something really interesting about Chespin becoming Grass/Flying and being based on...I can't remember what.A plant that looked like insect wings.Come to think of it,Chespin does look somewhat aerodynamic.
Wasn't it talking about those helicopter seed things?

Everlasting

Everything stays.

You know, to be logical, if someone was slashing you downward before hitting you upward, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't stay like a wall while the opponent was slashing you. That's why, I think, he reacted twice, but only had damages once. Just like Night Slash can do it.

Last edited:

deoxysdude94

Meme Historian
Fennekin is going to be fire/fighting and you can't stop it.

lol on a serious note, I think their final types will be grass/dark or ground, fire/psychic, and water/poison.

Status
Not open for further replies.