• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Speculation/Discussion Thread

Which starter would you use?

• Chespin

Votes: 845 26.8%
  • Fennekin

Votes: 1,329 42.2%
  • Froakie

Votes: 849 27.0%
  • NONE, Dunsparce looks better

Votes: 127 4.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yveltal96

A little more human
Maybe it can read it's trainer's mind? It likely is a Psychic type (or will be when it evolves).
oooo good point ^_^
fire/psychic fennekin ftw

Uthanak

Ice Trainer
The Grass and Water starters look neat. I'm thinking I'll use the Grass. The Fire is of no interest to me until we learn if it's dual type or not. If it's another Fire/Fighting I probably won't even play this Gen.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
You're not gonna play a game just because you don't like the typing of one Pokemon?

To be fair, four Fire/Fighting starters in a row is extremely uncreative and off putting. Three was bad enough, I didn't even touch Emboar this gen because it was another generic Fire/Fighting.

Icon Zeph

I honestly think Gamefreak is just trolling us by showing us Fennekin using a psychic move. I'm betting it was using a move like Me First or Copycat and Fennekin was just using one of that Kirlia's moves against it. I wouldn't put it past Gamefreak and I think it's a little too early to call it psychic, especially since no one would purposely use a move like confusion against a Kirlia. :p

AuroriumX

The Interceptor
To be fair, four Fire/Fighting starters in a row is extremely uncreative and off putting. Three was bad enough, I didn't even touch Emboar this gen because it was another generic Fire/Fighting.

That's what really bothered me about Emboar as well. If GF really wants to give one of the staters a Fighting type that bad in the new games then they should definitely make Chespin Grass/Fighting for a bit more variety.

Everlasting

Everything stays.
I honestly think Gamefreak is just trolling us by showing us Fennekin using a psychic move. I'm betting it was using a move like Me First or Copycat and Fennekin was just using one of that Kirlia's moves against it. I wouldn't put it past Gamefreak and I think it's a little too early to call it psychic, especially since no one would purposely use a move like confusion against a Kirlia. :p

If Fennekin was using Copycat or Me First to counter Kirlia, I'm pretty sure they would have put the animation of Copycat of Me First to show it before Fennekin use the "pink" move. Or else it would be unrealistic to show this to fans because that could be a major feint. I'm not saying that I never thought about the possibility, but it would be out of minds to think of it. But I admit. Why would Fennekin use such a move against Kirlia ?

Last edited:

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
But I admit. Why would Fennekin use such a move against Kirlia ?

If the only intention is to show the move, then the only thing that matters is that the move affects the target (and thus shows the animation), regardless of whether the move deals super effective, neutral, or not very effective damage.

Luthor

I find it amusing I seem to be in an extreme minority like the tepig line(just judging from quite a few comments in this). Granted I agree that I don't want the firefox to evolve into something with fighting type charactaristics.What would be the reaction be if Fenekin was a pure fire in its evolved forms?

MastersOfMonsters

~Yaoi FanBoy~
I find it amusing I seem to be in an extreme minority like the tepig line(just judging from quite a few comments in this). Granted I agree that I don't want the firefox to evolve into something with fighting type charactaristics.What would be the reaction be if Fenekin was a pure fire in its evolved forms?

Rather Pure Fire than Fire/Fighting for me, but I would prefer it to be Fire/Psychic. And I want the other two to have Types not yet used for Starters (or at least, that Type of starter). Chespin as Grass/Dark would be awesome, and Froakie... um... Water/Fighting or Flying or... I don't know.

But no Fire/Fighting. The Fire/Fighting Pkmn are cool and all, but I'm so tired of it. :(

Yveltal96

A little more human
Rather Pure Fire than Fire/Fighting for me, but I would prefer it to be Fire/Psychic. And I want the other two to have Types not yet used for Starters (or at least, that Type of starter). Chespin as Grass/Dark would be awesome, and Froakie... um... Water/Fighting or Flying or... I don't know.

But no Fire/Fighting. The Fire/Fighting Pkmn are cool and all, but I'm so tired of it. :(

i have a feeling that it is fire/psychic
i mean that move he did in the trailer wasn't growl the kirlia took damage
yeah ninetales could learn psychic moves but the extent of it was zen headbutt and extrasensory
that move in the trailer looked like either psychic or confusion and no ordinary fire type can learn that

dragonphoenixlord

Fossil Master
Pokemon can always learn off type moves so I think it is a moot point deciding if it is dual type based on a move it used. For example: Tepig learns smog and Chimchar learns acrobatics. Since Fennekin is based off of a desert fox I wouldn't be surprised if it was fire/ground. I'm not ruling out fire/psychic at all though. Japanese foxes always have crazy powers.

Tearoma

I'm leaning towards wanting to use Fennekin though my decision may change depending on what type it is (Fire + ?) and also what it's evolutions may be.
It it turns out to be Fire/Fight then I will be a little disappointed; that combo is getting a little stale now.
Also if it's evolutions turn it into an ugly beast then I will not be best pleased!

a Pokemon's design is usually the deciding factor for who I pick as a starter...and this is the first generation where I've been totally disappointed with the water-type :( I've never cared much for real-life frogs, and I've never cared much for any of the Pokemon frogs (mayyyybe Politoed).

Fennekin is alright, but I'm such a fan of Vulpix and Ninetales (two of my all-time favorite Pokemon, design-wise), that Fennekin totally pales in comparison (as another fire-type fox). so that leaves me with Chespin, whose design I love! granted, I'm a little nervous about what its evolutions will look like after the Samurott-shocker last generation (though I still stuck with the irresistibly adorable Oshawott). ;)

adl222

a Pokemon's design is usually the deciding factor for who I pick as a starter...and this is the first generation where I've been totally disappointed with the water-type :( I've never cared much for real-life frogs, and I've never cared much for any of the Pokemon frogs (mayyyybe Politoed).

Fennekin is alright, but I'm such a fan of Vulpix and Ninetales (two of my all-time favorite Pokemon, design-wise), that Fennekin totally pales in comparison (as another fire-type fox). so that leaves me with Chespin, whose design I love! granted, I'm a little nervous about what its evolutions will look like after the Samurott-shocker last generation (though I still stuck with the irresistibly adorable Oshawott). ;)
how can you say that when you havent seen Froakie's evolution or what type of pokemon it is. This generation starters have alot of potential. Im sure they have something good planned for Froakie if not they wouldnt have made another frog, it will be unique im sure.

Pspaans

X&Y Fan
Fennekin's evolutions can be a fire/psychic, but not because of that move. Fennekin used a psychic LOOKING move, but fennekin is a pure fire... that means that he just learned a move different from his type, wich is pretty normal in the world of Pokémon. So it's secondary type can be anything, and I actually don't care. Even when it's fire/fight, i'm going to play this game and use Fennekin, like I used Emboar in Gen 5. Emboar doesn't have that much fight moves in his movepool, and I hardly used a fight move with Emboar... I don't care. I always will enjoy the game.

Royal_Qeca

Pokémon Blue
Fennekin's evolutions can be a fire/psychic, but not because of that move. Fennekin used a psychic LOOKING move, but fennekin is a pure fire... that means that he just learned a move different from his type, wich is pretty normal in the world of Pokémon. So it's secondary type can be anything, and I actually don't care. Even when it's fire/fight, i'm going to play this game and use Fennekin, like I used Emboar in Gen 5. Emboar doesn't have that much fight moves in his movepool, and I hardly used a fight move with Emboar... I don't care. I always will enjoy the game.

The issue never was about the movepool but the typing itself. It could have some fighting type moves and be pure fire type that people wouldn't mind at all.

Ah yes, some true stuff. I agree, well not with everything, because I am hoping Fokko's evolved form(s) will be Fire/Psychic. But you spilled some true tea. *Nods*

DarkSword39

Heehouhouhouhou!
The issue never was about the movepool but the typing itself. It could have some fighting type moves and be pure fire type that people wouldn't mind at all.
OBJECTION!

I would!
That's still saying it would be very similar to a Fire/Fighting. And that's no good!

Status
Not open for further replies.