• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Speculation/Discussion Thread

Which starter would you use?

• Chespin

Votes: 845 26.8%
  • Fennekin

Votes: 1,329 42.2%
  • Froakie

Votes: 849 27.0%
  • NONE, Dunsparce looks better

Votes: 127 4.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

XXD17

Draco rex
Torterra has a really good Movepool, and Serperior's is pretty decent.

Meganium works great defensively with it's movepool.

Venusaur sucks thouh.

There's a few things I'd have to disagree with you torterra does have good coverage but his speed stat makes him nearly unusable in competitive play unless you get rid of all the ice threats early on...

serperior, although it's my favorite pokemon is not very amazing in its current form right now...it has to reserve to being a fast wall which is cool...but even then it doesn't do that too well...it requires a lot of setting up to work...also, it doesn't really shine ingame...as for contrary though, that's a completely different story

meganium is meh...it's great that it is a semi-bulky wall with cleric abilities but it's outclassed by a lot of other pokes (also wall don't generally work well in game)...like cradily...or serperior (faster meganium without aromatherapy but rather a defense-boosting move)...also, mono grass isn't a very good defensive typing...which is the same problem serperior has...

Venusaur is probably ONE OF THE BEST STARTERS in competitive play at the moment (along with blaziken) thanks to chlorophyll...slap a wide lens on it in the sun and you'll be guaranteed a free boost with growth (via sleep powder) and then you can start solarbeaming/ giga draining everything...it's very intimidating considering that it can also get leech seed, sludge bomb, and EQ...it's defensive stats aren't bad as well...

You haven't mentioned sceptile but it too is a little lacking...it has amazing speed but it's just too frail...also, it can't really neutrally OKO without a boost or an item...I love it but it's outclassed..

It does seem that grass types are generally outclassed and it's true, I'm not hating on them, grass types are my second favorite type of pokemon...but they are just too vulnerable in the competitive field save ferrothorn...

That's why I'd want chespin to become grass/ rock...not a wall, but a sweeper...grass/ rock will give it some defensive leverage and just make it faster than torterra (like around blaziken's speed) and it could be a pretty effective pokemon...

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
There's a few things I'd have to disagree with you torterra does have good coverage but his speed stat makes him nearly unusable in competitive play unless you get rid of all the ice threats early on...

Trick Room

serperior, although it's my favorite pokemon is not very amazing in its current form right now...it has to reserve to being a fast wall which is cool...but even then it doesn't do that too well...it requires a lot of setting up to work...also, it doesn't really shine ingame...as for contrary though, that's a completely different story
Contrary? Other than that, it's still useable.

meganium is meh...it's great that it is a semi-bulky wall with cleric abilities but it's outclassed by a lot of other pokes (also wall don't generally work well in game)...like cradily...or serperior (faster meganium without aromatherapy but rather a defense-boosting move)...also, mono grass isn't a very good defensive typing...which is the same problem serperior has...

Venusaur is probably ONE OF THE BEST STARTERS in competitive play at the moment (along with blaziken) thanks to chlorophyll...slap a wide lens on it in the sun and you'll be guaranteed a free boost with growth (via sleep powder) and then you can start solarbeaming/ giga draining everything...it's very intimidating considering that it can also get leech seed, sludge bomb, and EQ...it's defensive stats aren't bad as well...

You haven't mentioned sceptile but it too is a little lacking...it has amazing speed but it's just too frail...also, it can't really neutrally OKO without a boost or an item...I love it but it's outclassed..

It does seem that grass types are generally outclassed and it's true, I'm not hating on them, grass types are my second favorite type of pokemon...but they are just too vulnerable in the competitive field save ferrothorn...

That's why I'd want chespin to become grass/ rock...not a wall, but a sweeper...grass/ rock will give it some defensive leverage and just make it faster than torterra (like around blaziken's speed) and it could be a pretty effective pokemon...

Really, I was only talking about Movesets, and e reason I said it was because the previous poster had already covered Sceptile.

Really, I was only talking about Movesets, and e reason I said it was because the previous poster had already covered Sceptile.

I still really like using Spectile in battle..regardless at how good it is in Competitive Battling..it's just so fun to use which i've got to say is a exception because while i like using Grass starters..they are not really that fun to use.

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
I still really like using Spectile in battle..regardless at how good it is in Competitive Battling..it's just so fun to use which i've got to say is a exception because while i like using Grass starters..they are not really that fun to use.

Where did you pull competetive battling out of my post.

And, I really like using Grass Types, It's the only Type I use in all my Teams.

XXD17

Draco rex

I feel ya...but you can't judge a pokemon based on movesets...there are a variety of pokemon that have huge movepools and are quite unusable in higher tiers (notable the likes of kecleon and castform)...look at serperior again, if it had better defensive stats and a better typing, then it would be a boss wall...it's got leech seed, coil, dragon tail, and leaf blade...it has all the moves it needs to be an effective wall...it's movepool is abysmal...even the contrary set, give it leaf storm, HP fire, dragon pulse, and giga drain/ leech seed and it has all it needs to potentially sweep...it doesn't need a lot of moves in its movepool but rather the right moves in its movepool...a classic example of not having the right moves is flareon...

yeah, serperior is definitely usable but it is considerable harder to use effectively then say ferrothorn or lilligant or even whimsicott...but it's definitely a cool pokemon...

as for torterra in TR, TR doesn't make up for its typing...ice shard will still 2HKO it (or even OHKO it)...from the likes of mamoswine, donphan, weavile, cloyster, etc...

Elementman-Novapoke

Right, haven't done predictions for a while, so...:

Fennekin:
I can see this becoming a special-orientated tank. High Special Attack, Above Average HP and Special Defense, Average Defense, Below Average Speed and Attack. I think we'll see it remain on all fours, and become very majestic looking. I do personally see Fennekin becoming part Psychic in the end, so alongside the standard Fire and Psychic attacks, I can see it also learning attacks such as Crunch, but also Beam-type moves, and other Special favourites, like Thunderbolt - be these by level up, TM, or Tutor. Wall moves, status inflicters and hazards could also be possibilities too.

Chespin:
More of an all-rounder, leaning in the physical direction. Not quite fast enough to be the world's best sweeper, but not defensive enough (and too fast) to be a true tank. High Attack, Above Average Speed and Defense, Average HP, Below Average Special Attack and Special Defense. Bipedal, Stocky (but not massively bulky) Mammal-thing. I can see it having large claws, so its movepool would have many cutting attacks. Body Slam, and other ramming moves might work here too. As well as flinch and paralysis inducing moves. I see either Grass / Dark or Grass / Steel being likely destinations. I wouldn't see Grass monotype as being the end of the world either.

Froakie:
Sweeper. Sweep sweep sweep. Capable of being either physical or special. High Speed, Above Average Attack and Special Attack (very little between the two, if at all), Average Special Defense, Below Average Defense and HP. Very lean, somewhat muscular, and the tallest of the three. Perhaps a small crown made out of bubbles on its head, and a proper moustache. I personally see Froakie becoming Water / Fighting, and so would give him a diverse movepool (much like Infernapes), with punches and kicks featuring heavily. A few wildcards, perhaps, like Aura Sphere, Ice Beam, Sludge Bomb and Uproar being around too.

I'd like it if these starters had their own signature moves that remained signature to them (I.E Leaf Blade not being available to loads of other Pokes (it felt like Sceptile's signature to me), or Blaze Kick or Muddy Water (please correct me if I'm wrong!) this time around! And decent ones too that are worth using, minimum of 80 Power, or something like that.

Fruty Sheep

I'd like it if these starters had their own signature moves that remained signature to them (I.E Leaf Blade not being available to loads of other Pokes (it felt like Sceptile's signature to me), or Blaze Kick or Muddy Water (please correct me if I'm wrong!) this time around! And decent ones too that are worth using, minimum of 80 Power, or something like that.

Signatures moves, uh? Why didn't that idea came to my mind? It would be wonderful! Predictable, but wonderful!

I hope The fire one doesn't end up being fire/fighting

You are the same as most people :D. But how mad would you guys be if fennekin did turn out to be fire/fighting?
I personally would be very angry as it most likely would end up being physical and that would MOST LIKELY be very muscular and maybe bipedal, this would be a real shame as fennekin looks like it should be a special attacker. Aside from that, it would mean that FOUR fire starters in a row would be fire/fighting.

Nacreous

Fire trainer
You are the same as most people :D. But how mad would you guys be if fennekin did turn out to be fire/fighting?
I personally would be very angry as it most likely would end up being physical and that would MOST LIKELY be very muscular and maybe bipedal, this would be a real shame as fennekin looks like it should be a special attacker. Aside from that, it would mean that FOUR fire starters in a row would be fire/fighting.

Maybe it's like a default thing right now...every Fire starter has to have Fighting as its secondary type.

Crimson_Blazer

I wouldn't mind fire/fighting again, as long as it gets something better than arm thrust through level up... Having to use a move tutor for superpower or a heart scale for hammer arm on emboar was really wasteful, should've learned it through level up, a speedy powerhouse like infernape would be cool, emboar has massive HP but is defenses...ouch

Fruty Sheep

I hope The fire one doesn't end up being fire/fighting

*Teasing tone* Just look at Fennekin, and tell with straitgh face that you think is going to be a Fire/Fighting Type Pokemon. It's obvious that it doesn't look physicaly strong.

Lunafreya Nox Fleuret

Don't look here.
There was a list posted. Not sure if it was april fools or whatever. I really loved the idea of Fennekin's final form being a sphinx like creature. Sphinox is the oppisite, being vastly different to Fennekin. As the name implies it starts to look like a Sphinx, it's fur becomes a light orange/beige colour giving it a somewhat rock like apperence and the orange parts darken and it's expression is, how do you discribe that, similar to Serpeior.

Would be cool! http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/60943/t1821366-official-rumor-thread/19.htm

Fruty Sheep

There was a list posted. Not sure if it was april fools or whatever. I really loved the idea of Fennekin's final form being a sphinx like creature. Sphinox is the oppisite, being vastly different to Fennekin. As the name implies it starts to look like a Sphinx, it's fur becomes a light orange/beige colour giving it a somewhat rock like apperence and the orange parts darken and it's expression is, how do you discribe that, similar to Serpeior.

Would be cool! http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/60943/t1821366-official-rumor-thread/19.htm

If Fennekin is going to evole into a sphinx-like Pokemon, it could be a Fire/Ground Type Pokemon, couldn't it?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.