• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Speculation/Discussion Thread

Which starter would you use?

• Chespin

Votes: 845 26.8%
  • Fennekin

Votes: 1,329 42.2%
  • Froakie

Votes: 849 27.0%
  • NONE, Dunsparce looks better

Votes: 127 4.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkSword39

Heehouhouhouhou!
Why would a sheep evolve into a kangaroo?
Ampharos is not a kangaroo! It's still a sheep.

Anyway, I hope Froakie is really fast. The other frogs are rather slow, so I hope Froakie is fast. Having about a 120 stat for speed would be nice.

Daimona

Hero of Truth
Mmm, I know there's always the exception to the rule in pokemon, but let's not forget that MOST of them still don't undergo the "mid-evolution-species-change."
And I really don't see it for Fennekin, sorry. (Good art though)

We already have a lion pokemon (and a fire foo dog with lion-esque features), but we DON'T have a real wolf pokemon (With mightyena being a hyena), and maned wolves are very fox-like and retain the giant ears and a similar enough color scheme - and seem like a great potential direction to me.
Sounds more appealing.

Firebrand

Indomitable
Why would a sheep evolve in to a kangaroo?
Why would a fish evolve into an octopus?
Why would a fish evolve into a dragonic serpent thing?
Etc, etc, etc.

As a poster above me said, Ampharos is still classified as a sheep. Just because it's bipedal doesn't mean it suddenly becomes a marsupial.
Remoraid is based (loosely) off a gun, and Octillery is based (slightly less loosely) off a cannon. A cannon is basically a large gun, and they're both aquatic creatures.
The Magikarp line is based on an old Chinese legend that if a carp swims up a waterfall, it will miraculously turn into a dragon. Basically, if it does a feat requiring spectacular perseverance, much like a trainer raising a fairly useless Magikarp up to level 20. Back in the early gens, before you could catch a level 99 Magikarp, this was a big deal.

Roy9

Sinnoh Master
As a poster above me said, Ampharos is still classified as a sheep. Just because it's bipedal doesn't mean it suddenly becomes a marsupial.
Remoraid is based (loosely) off a gun, and Octillery is based (slightly less loosely) off a cannon. A cannon is basically a large gun, and they're both aquatic creatures.
The Magikarp line is based on an old Chinese legend that if a carp swims up a waterfall, it will miraculously turn into a dragon. Basically, if it does a feat requiring spectacular perseverance, much like a trainer raising a fairly useless Magikarp up to level 20. Back in the early gens, before you could catch a level 99 Magikarp, this was a big deal.
You're right, but it's Pokemon and I think it's possible that a fox/canine can evolve into a lion. But I like the wolf idea, and it makes maybe more sense!

Cutty

Forever now
We already have a lion pokemon (and a fire foo dog with lion-esque features), but we DON'T have a real wolf pokemon (With mightyena being a hyena), and maned wolves are very fox-like and retain the giant ears and a similar enough color scheme - and seem like a great potential direction to me.

Lets see... judging from all starters, at least the last one... snake still evolves into snake, pig is still pig, otter becomes sea lion... I think the final evos of Gen 6 starters will not be far from their original species they're based on. So Fennekin will probably evolve into something in its family, could be a wolf.
I dont really know what Chespin is, though.

Courpse_Mew

Lets see... judging from all starters, at least the last one... snake still evolves into snake, pig is still pig, otter becomes sea lion... I think the final evos of Gen 6 starters will not be far from their original species they're based on. So Fennekin will probably evolve into something in its family, could be a wolf.
I dont really know what Chespin is, though.

Though, it would be interesting having a Larvitar/Bagon evolution change up for a starter. Chespin evolving into a silly, pineapple-like thing with decent defenses then evolving into a crazy, monster rodent with less bulk and more power. I could see it happening. Not hoping for it, but I could get used to it.

carboncopy

(-) (-) (-) (-)
I know it's not likely, but, anyone considering that they might implement a branched evo for the starters ? That would be cool. Like fenniken's 3rd stage could be different depending on it's gender.

☭Azimuth_055☣

Thou enraged?
I know it's not likely, but, anyone considering that they might implement a branched evo for the starters ? That would be cool. Like fenniken's 3rd stage could be different depending on it's gender.

To be honest, I'd rather go with appearance differences...

MidnightFennekin

Unwashed skank
FennFlame.jpg

Ermagerd! Fennekin's using a Ice-Type move because of the Snowflakes!

Sorry, but I just had to finally kill this thing before it ever starts again. The effects in Fennekin's move looks like the effect in Froakie's.

Anyway, I'd like Fennekin to evolve into Fire/Ghost. Would be interesting.

Regality

Digital King
I'm still hoping for froakies evos to take the cloud/thundercloud route..

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
No. If Fennekin turns into Fire/Fighting I will cry. It has such a huge potential to be a fantastic Fire/Psychic type. It'll be a better Ninetails with less nostalgia.

Why cry over some typing on a Pokémon, especially on a starter? If Fennekin does become Fire/Fighting you will get over it eventually.

telivisionhead

I think Im gonna go with fennekin on this one. But if its a fire-fighting chespin is the guy to me. I usually go to the water starters (or fire if you count charizard) but froakie just doesnt suit me. I think froakie could be a water/poision, water/ground like palpitoad, water/dark or water/fighting. Froakie sorta well grosses me out to be honest and I just dont think Im gonna use it at all!
Chespin is actually quiet cute. People think chespin is a little dorky but I dont agree. Maybe we could make him a grass/poison like venasaur but that is highly unlikly. grass/fighting could work but I just cant picture him as a grass fighting type. Grass/dark could work though i think thats NEVER happened. Correct me if Im wrong.
What do people think Fennekin is gonna be by types. Fennekin actually reminds me a bit of ninetales. I think if Vulpix didnt exist that Fennekin could've been the first evo of Ninetales. Anybody agree? Fennekin could be a fire-psyic. Alot of people make fan-arts of it being that but the fan-arts dont even look like a POKEMON sometimes. Just gamefreak... dont ruin X and Y starters for making fennekin a fire-fighting. Because then I'd restart and get myself a chespin or ditch Fennekin.

Status
Not open for further replies.