• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Speculation/Discussion Thread

Which starter would you use?

• Chespin

Votes: 845 26.8%
  • Fennekin

Votes: 1,329 42.2%
  • Froakie

Votes: 849 27.0%
  • NONE, Dunsparce looks better

Votes: 127 4.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bariokie

rock dog
Indeed. I mean, Samurott is a ninja, he really should have been fighting. XD And I would have loved Serperior to be part Dragon, but I'm not sure they'd ever make a Dragon Starter.

However, I have high hopes for the new Starters. I just hope none of them will be pure. ^^

He actually is a Samurai SAMUrott , ya know?
And ninja's don't always 'fight'. ^_^

Mutzaki

Master of All
Samurai's do fight though, and it definitely should have been fighting type.

Samurai are more iconic with sword fighting specifically, and there aren't many sword based moves that are Fighting-type, so I think it would've been pretty out of place. The quadrupedal Fighting-type legendaries were enough of a stretch with being Fighting-types, in my opinion.

MastersOfMonsters

~Yaoi FanBoy~
I said wrong, sorry, I meant Samurai. ^^" My bad.

Elnava

The Successor!
Water/Rock would have made sense for Samurott, aren't seashells made up of different minerals?

Mutzaki

Master of All
Water/Rock would have made sense for Samurott, aren't seashells made up of different minerals?

The main component of seashells, calcium carbonate, is also commonly found in different rocks. So that would actually have made a lot of sense if they decided to go that way.

Victreebong

Gives 'em the slip..
The main component of seashells, calcium carbonate, is also commonly found in different rocks. So that would actually have made a lot of sense if they decided to go that way.

Corals have this make up in their exoskeleton too. In the same way that sea shells, snail shells, oyster shells, and many other bivalve mollusks use their tissues for protection and rigidity. So Corsola waves hi, from somewhere nebulous.

Unfortunately, Samurott is a total failure competitively, aesthetically, strategically, and doesn't compare remotely to the amazingness of it's pre-evolution, or any other water Pokémon for that matter. So making it a dual water/rock type would have been almost as good an idea as not making the damn thing in the first place.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
Corals have this make up in their exoskeleton too. In the same way that sea shells, snail shells, oyster shells, and many other bivalve mollusks use their tissues for protection and rigidity. So Corsola waves hi, from somewhere nebulous.

Unfortunately, Samurott is a total failure competitively, aesthetically, strategically, and doesn't compare remotely to the amazingness of it's pre-evolution, or any other water Pokémon for that matter. So making it a dual water/rock type would have been almost as good an idea as not making the damn thing in the first place.

No it's not Samurott is probably one of the best Waters in NU. Sure it isn't going to RU but Samurott succeeds to be a viable hitter amongst most critters. And Dewott is actually my 2nd least favorite Pokémon. So your also saying Magikarp is better than Samurott battle wise?

DarkSword39

Heehouhouhouhou!
Really? grass dark is kinda sucky, 4x weak to U turn for starters plus dark would be a weird choice for a starter.
Are Shiftry and Cacturne bad? Nope. So what makes Chespin bad about being Grass/Dark? Chespin looks bulkier than the other two. I can see Chespin having a high defense so U-Turn wouldn't do that much.

Elnava

The Successor!

Hey, hey, Samurott looks super cool

I don't believe that most are looking for competitive value in their starters, something that's fun to play with and aesthetically pleasing is more of what starters are about imo

Last edited:

Pepsi_Plunge

Dojyaaa~~aan

I don't believe that most are looking for competitive value in their starters, something that's fun to play with and aesthetically pleasing is more of what starters are about imo

He looks cool but makes no sense as Dewott evolution.

Taodragon

Training Anaylst

That's opinion, personally I like the line as a whole and Samurott is probably my third favorite water starter evolution. Competitively it's fine, not the best but it's not lying at the bottom of the barrel either.

The concept is samurai to shogun, Dewott embodies the former extremely well while Samurott captures the bulky, strong and authoritative nature of the latter. I think it's because of that theme that sea lions were used for the final stage, they have that body type that makes them more suitable for representing shoguns over otters, plus as mentioned below the jump isn't that big compared to other such shifts in evolution.

Last edited:

Mutzaki

Master of All

I definitely agree. A starter is meant to get you through the region, and looking awesome doing it.

Really? grass dark is kinda sucky, 4x weak to U turn for starters plus dark would be a weird choice for a starter.

Bug-type moves are not really that common, especially not outside of competitive play. I think it would make for a pretty cool typing, but I believe more in Grass/Fighting or Grass/Ground.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl

If you mean the origin, the Oshawott line was intended to become samurai-sea lion. I don't find the otter to sea lion transition that bad I mean it kinda is a decent change, both are aquatic animals, Dewott had facial hair growing into a beard, and the scalchops became more advanced as Seamitars. Plus there warrior like appearances can be seen as Samurott being a master while Dewott is the in-training apprentice like Pokémon. In conclusion, personally it isn't THAT weird of a change, I mean we have Remoraid to Octillery, a seagull to a pelican and a flaming pig into a sumo wrestling like boar. I have a feeling there is more to the starters than we think this generation.

Grei

not the color
I get the feeling Fennekin will end up bipedal. Or it'll pull a Slakoth and become bipedal in its middle stage, and then go back to being a quadruped in its final stage.

Froakie... is, like, the fifth frog/toad we've had so far. I feel like it's going to end up like a previous frog/toad Pokemon, unless its evolutions are combined with another animal--like, say, a salamander. That'd be interesting.

Chespin is begging to be a Grass/Fighting type, but I won't set my heart on anything (*remembers Samurott*). I think he'll stay bipedal. If he's combined with any animal, I hope it's a bear.

Interesting that the starters this time around are all commonly-used animals. Each one's animal basis has been used multiple times in Pokemon designs (I mean, if Chespin is a chipmunk, we only have Patrat, but if you broaden the scope to "cute rodents"...).

Phantom Wolf DX

Seeing as the starters have never been coupled with formerly Special types (Electric, Ice, Dark, Psychic and Dragon), my theory is:
Chespin: Grass/Rock
Fennekin: Fire/Flying
Froakie: Water/Fighting

Status
Not open for further replies.