• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Speculation/Discussion Thread

Which starter would you use?

• Chespin

Votes: 845 26.8%
  • Fennekin

Votes: 1,329 42.2%
  • Froakie

Votes: 849 27.0%
  • NONE, Dunsparce looks better

Votes: 127 4.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blesstoise

Squirtle Squad
Let's say Fairy-Type is real, and following the Fairy>Dragon rumor.

I'd like it if Fennekin would be Fire/Fairy. It has the elegance and grace to pull it off by looking mystical, yet not Tinkerbell-ish. Foxes are associated with Magic, yes?

It'd have decent type coverage, SE on Steel, Ice, Bug, Grass, Dark, Fighting and Dragon, only being resisted by Fire. Its weaknesses to Poison, Water, Ground and Rock are crippling, but having a Electric-Type Move and Earth Power on it would be a great help to it.

Good speculation, don't know if foxes are associated with magic, not here in the Netherlands i think..
Foxes are fast, mysterious and smart. So it could work.

Does anybody agrees that pure starters are fine aswell? Yet the designs of this gen just scream for a second type.

Yveltal96

A little more human
that would not make sense. they really have no connection to each other and i would hope that wouldn't happen.

yes it does actually
Remoraid represents guns or revolvers and Octillery represents cannons and tanks.
I thought everyone knew this by now >.>

Last edited:

Skiddsy

Amping It Up
yes it does actually
Remoraid represents missiles and Octillery represents cannons and tanks.
I thought everyone knew this by now >.>

I assumed it was because it was an archerfish (which shoots targets with streams of water) combined with a remora. It doesn't look like a missile to me.

Yveltal96

A little more human
I assumed it was because it was an archerfish (which shoots targets with streams of water) combined with a remora. It doesn't look like a missile to me.

my bad, it wasn't a missile. I remember now I will edit it, but the evolution does in fact represent the evolution of arms
Remoraid is basically just a gun, to be specific a revolver, and Octillery represents other heavy artillery.
I always mess that one up

Gergenator

Veteran Trainer
No, because it's a starter.

SO...... it still would of been nice if he was Fire/Dragon

like since gf has hidden abilitys.....they might make Hidden types.....for pokemon who are eligable for it

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
SO...... it still would of been nice if he was Fire/Dragon

Maybe but dragons resist all three starter typings, unless the rest were dragons or ice types (which would only work on grass types dragons) they're a huge imbalance.

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
Empoleon was still like that though. Grass was resisted by his steel typing.

And yet Torterra got ground typing, keeping that triangle. Dragon is much harder to keep balanced because two out of the three starters would resist ice typing due to being fire/dragon and water/dragon and thus the only way the other starters could fight back is if they all were dragons.

Yveltal96

A little more human
And yet Torterra got ground typing, keeping that triangle. Dragon is much harder to keep balanced because two out of the three starters would resist ice typing due to being fire/dragon and water/dragon and thus the only way the other starters could fight back is if they all were dragons.

exactly. If they did do something like that, of course they would change the typings, so a triangle still remains.
I am saying it is always possible for starters to become dragon, but it is highly unlikely that they will do it with these starters

Compass

Don't need roads.
I want to either see solid typing or some new triangle that doesn't involve another fire/fighting. Unless they manage to royally mess up every single evolution, it'll be hard to beat these designs as is.
I'm really hoping that Chespin ends up as a more defensive grass type though instead of the current trend for most (barring Torterra).

sunny phoenix

but blastoise can learn ice type moves so he can still have an advantage over dragon charizard... especially on gen 1 when there wasnt any usefull dragon type move, so even if charizard was dragon blastoise could harm him while char no... anyway thinks are as they are but dont give me the excuse thet they did it for balance cause pokemon is one of the most unbalanced games ever!!

Last edited:

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
but blastoise can learn ice type moves so he can still have an advantage over dragon charizard... especially on gen 1 when there wasnt any usefull dragon type move, so even if charizard was dragon blastoise could harm him while char no... anyway thinks are as they are but dont give me the excuse thet they did it for balance cause pokemon is one of the most unbalanced games ever!!

Fire resists ice, it'd only hit neutrally.

Shraeder

It's Lit
Seriously, there's like a .00000000000000001% chance of one of the starters becoming a Dragon type.

Cutty

Forever now
I doubt one of the starters would evolve into Dragon. If that's the case then one of the other two will have to be the counterpart (Ice/Fairy?), making things seem more bogus...

Rhynox

I have calculated what is very likely to be what Chespin's base HP, as well as its final evolution's, is going to be. Here's the link to the document: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5p2Z2YoTKj3UDcyOWxNakxzemM/edit?usp=sharing

Surprised no one's commented on this yet. Very cool. ~ 105 base hp is pretty cool, though to be honest on a grass type it'd be best to have lower base hp and higher defenses, for leech seed and drain moves. I don't agree with your type prediction however. While grass/rock wouldn't be a bad combination, it wouldn't be good either. Defensively, it leaves few resists, only resisting one type (electric) and still being weak to ice, fighting, bug, and steel. I'd go so far as to say it's worse than grass alone. That being said, I disagree mainly with your point that it doesn't fit flavor wise. Chespin is a hedgehog, of course it's gonna learn rolly moves like rollout, defense curl, maybe even rapid spin and gyro ball.

On an unrelated note, and this might just be me being too hopeful, does anyone think it'd be too weird having a starter be dark type? I mean, dark type is evil type in japan, and if I was a kid and my loveable little chespin turned into an evil poke, I'd be weirded out.

BurningWhiteKyurem

With Remoraid and Octillery I see it more as something like this:

If you think about it, Remoraid-Octillery makes a lot of sense in terms of the backstory behind it. Of course we know Remoraid as the Fish that connected to Mantine (though that's no longer the case in Gen IV), but I always thought that the Mantine-Remoraid connection was reminiscent of a plane-missile combination such as the fighter jet. At least that's how I interpret it. Anyways, back to Remoraid and Octillery, if you can think of Remoraid as the "missile," then you can think of Octillery as the "tank" or the command centre for artilleries, and thus the evolution is meant to show how weapon technology can advance over time from a simple purpose to a more complicated and detailed purpose.

At least there was thematic relationship between Remoraid and Octillery that justified taking a different direction when you deconstruct what the evolution stood for. Don't just make a poor argument and say "oh GF did this, so we can make a leopard grow from a dragonfly with no thematic direction at all!"

Status
Not open for further replies.