• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Speculation/Discussion Thread

Which starter would you use?

• Chespin

Votes: 845 26.8%
  • Fennekin

Votes: 1,329 42.2%
  • Froakie

Votes: 849 27.0%
  • NONE, Dunsparce looks better

Votes: 127 4.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

LusterPurge

Victory Star
I stand corrected. But I still think it's a non damaging move. We didn't hear Kirlia getting hurt unlike the other attacks, and the fact Kirlia looks like it's getting damaged is probably due to the game isn't finished.

But Grass/Rock Chespin isn't too bad as long as it's the final evo. Remember, Torterra could get SE hits on Infernape and Empoleon.

And does there have to be balance?

I think Chari was Fire/Flying due to the great imbalance it would cause. Same with Serp.

And I hate the fact Samu wasn't Water/Fighting.

I don't see Chespin learning Rollout=Rock-Type though. Shaymin's Land Forme could earn it too, right? That's another Grass Hedgehog.

Samurott should of been Water and fighting and Sceptile Grass and dragon. Especially considering he's the only pure type hoenn starter

Blackjack the Titan

It’s been a while
Guys! Not every final evo of every starter need to have a second typing! I'd like Froakie to be Water/Fighting or Water/Electric, but if it's pure Water, I'll still be faithful to it and pick it.
Samurott was okay being Water type, it still had a bamf design! And it kills RU sand teams.
Sceptile didn't need a secondary typing because it still is a viable Pokemon for OU

Yveltal96

A little more human
Honestly, I don't see how people can still want Froakie to be Electric or Flying
I mean it was confirmed after all that the thing on him isn't a cloud, it's just bubbles.

Honestly, I don't see how people can still want Froakie to be Electric or Flying
I mean it was confirmed after all that the thing on him isn't a cloud, it's just bubbles.

Im one of the culprits :(. But honestly, even though on FROAKIE they are bubbles, there is still a chance that gamefreak could change them into clouds upon evolution. A frog with thunderclouds would be cool IMO, but if im honest, froakie does seem the most likely of the three to remain pure to the end, what do you guys think?

Yveltal96

A little more human
Im one of the culprits :(. But honestly, even though on FROAKIE they are bubbles, there is still a chance that gamefreak could change them into clouds upon evolution. A frog with thunderclouds would be cool IMO, but if im honest, froakie does seem the most likely of the three to remain pure to the end, what do you guys think?

Him being pure seems a slim chance to me.
But bubbles to clouds is a stretch TBH

T-Bolt

Electrifying.
Guys! Not every final evo of every starter need to have a second typing! I'd like Froakie to be Water/Fighting or Water/Electric, but if it's pure Water, I'll still be faithful to it and pick it.
Samurott was okay being Water type, it still had a bamf design! And it kills RU sand teams.
Sceptile didn't need a secondary typing because it still is a viable Pokemon for OU

Yeah, but personally, I usually prefer double typed starters to single typed ones, since two types usually give a pokemon a much wider movepool. So many of us are hoping that our favorite starters get secondary types.

Also, isn't sand banned in RU?

Fennekin1

I see Froakie becoming pure water, Chespin becoming grass/ground or grass/rock and Fennekin becoming fire/psychic, fire/dark, or fire/ghost (hopefully fire/dark or fire ghost because they sound much more interesting than fire/psychic).

Yveltal96

A little more human
I stand corrected. But I still think it's a non damaging move. We didn't hear Kirlia getting hurt unlike the other attacks, and the fact Kirlia looks like it's getting damaged is probably due to the game isn't finished.

Actually Kirlia was most definitely taking damage. When we see Parting Shot, a non-damaging move, Gogoat does not flinch
Kirlia does, so it was definitely a damaging (psychic) move.
I have explained this more than once

Gergenator

Veteran Trainer
so whats the news that smash showed saturday??? if any

Jory

Except everything about it and it's names in every language point to hedgehogs? While fairly closely related to the gymnures, which look very much like basal mammals (except, you know, not being monotremes), hedgehogs are pretty well differentiated.

Like most species that use rollout, it's because Chespin can roll into a ball, like the hedgehog and chestnuts he is based upon. Cyndaquil can learn rollout by level up. As can Voltorb. And Miltank. And Qwilfish. And Solosis. What they have in common is that they are either spherical or can roll up into a sphere. (Spheal DOESN'T get rollout by level up - but they do get ice ball, which is basically rollout with an ice typing) -- In fact, it's the vast minority of those that can learn rollout that are rock types. The fact it learns rollout reinforces the idea that it is a hedgehog, capable of rolling up into a spiny ball.

Rollout really does not suggest a rock typing for Chespin - I would be more shocked if it DIDN'T get rollout, based on the species it's based on.

You pose a good point with the Rollout thing. Actually, the relevance between it learning Rollout and being able to curl up into a ball seemed to have escaped me; I should have remembered that it appears to be based off of a hedgehog.

Charmander learns Metal Claw, but doesn't become a steel type, so the same could go for Chespin. But personally, I really don't see it going through the game and not becoming part ground like Torterra.

But then again, I was also sadly mistaken when Samurott didn't become part fighting... Which is actually kind of irksome, but I'm sure that they had their reasons, just like they don't allow some Pokémon to learn certain moves even though it would seem like it would make sense that the Pokémon would be able to learn it.

But, also, did you happen to come across my list of Pokémon that don't follow their themes through and through? It's the majority of the starters, actually. It was an entire tidbit explaining that a Pokémon does not have to be one thing exactly, but can be loosely based off of a multitude of things. Chespin could probably be a hedgehog AND something prehistoric. The mole-like/lizard-like tail just screams proto mammal as well as ground, also supported by its coloration, but that's my opinion. Just because a mammalian Pokémon has a lizard-like tail doesn't mean it's a dinosaur, I get that, but some things in the designs are being placed there for a reason.

Last edited:

Gergenator

Veteran Trainer
I don't think you need to post this in more than one thread.
There was no news they just reviewed stuff we already know, none of it pertaining to the starters
Don't expect anything new on the starters anytime soon

well im just makin sure.... seeing if any ne info

Nockturne

Charmander learns Metal Claw, but doesn't become a steel type, so the same could go for Chespin. But personally, I really don't see it going through the game and not becoming part ground like Torterra.

That was only in FR/LG though so you weren't at as much of a disadvantage against Brock. BUt I do see your point

Blackjack the Titan

It’s been a while
you can always check the main sight

Why? Starter info doesn't usually come until right before the release, sometimes it isn't even announced at all.

(Don't do it Geno)

*site
And in which instance has the starter info not been announced until the game came out?

Pepsi_Plunge

Dojyaaa~~aan
(Don't do it Geno)

*site
And in which instance has the starter info not been announced until the game came out?

Better question what starter info do you think they need to release more? we migth get the middle stage formes and thats it, we got their classification, typing, measures, first 4 attacks thats good enough for me.

Last region the last stages got leaked they weren't oficially revealed till the game actually came out.

I don't believe they even revaled the middle stags every region, I know they did last region but I believe they did't in Hoenn and I'm not 100% on Sinnoh either.

We need some surprise factor, reading the forums it seems like you guys just want the game to be spoiled 4 months in advance, personally if any of that WPM rumours get confirmed(beisdes the names), I'll probably get the heck out of the forum till Ocotober.

Last edited:

Blackjack the Titan

It’s been a while
We need some surprise factor, reading the forums it seems like you guys just want the game to be spoiled 4 months in advance, personally if any of that WPM rumours get confirmed(beisdes the names), I'll probably get the heck out of the forum till Ocotober.

I agree. If they don't announce anymore info during or after July, I might stop paying attention to the speculation sub-forum just for that surprise! I mean, the less we know, the more we can enjoy and be surprised by the content of the game!

the starters evolutions are usually revealed right before game release.

According to what Pepsi_Plunge said, Hoenn's evos were not fully released before the game release. And I remember reading other forums the day before the release of D/P and people did not know what the evos to the starters were, so Unova was probably the only one that were released prior to the game release.

adl222

I agree. If they don't announce anymore info during or after July, I might stop paying attention to the speculation sub-forum just for that surprise! I mean, the less we know, the more we can enjoy and be surprised by the content of the game!

According to what Pepsi_Plunge said, Hoenn's evos were not fully released before the game release. And I remember reading other forums the day before the release of D/P and people did not know what the evos to the starters were, so Unova was probably the only one that were released prior to the game release.

i think Sceptile and Swampert werent revealed but Blaziken was revealed and then later shown in the anime before the game released.

Status
Not open for further replies.