• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Speculation/Discussion Thread

Which starter would you use?

• Chespin

Votes: 845 26.8%
  • Fennekin

Votes: 1,329 42.2%
  • Froakie

Votes: 849 27.0%
  • NONE, Dunsparce looks better

Votes: 127 4.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Regality

Digital King
I love Froakie too I love Foxes but im not super keen on Fennec Foxes personally (not my fav type of Fox) and I love Frogs too and feel Froakies going to evolve into something awesome

Heres how it is for me right now
Froakie
Fennekin
Chespin(Unless Chespin evolves into something really awesome he'll be the Tepig of this Gen for me I like him but I like the other two more)

I think Rock or Fighting would work well for Chespin Steel too I get a very Warriorish feeling from him

Fennekin I know Rock would probably be bad for Fennekin but I could see it as Rock or Flying and yes even Psychic but I refuse to acknowledge Fairy Type as a Type until its confirmed I still think Fennekin might go with a Arabic/Egyption theme

Froakie seems like either it'd be Fighting, Flying, Ice, or Electric he doesn't really envok a Dark look he looks like a Gentlemen Boxer or a Fighter of some kind but he coud become a Wizard but that would be so... ironic I guess

You could say the foam on his back resembles a swag bag, and would develop through evolutions, meaning he could be a dark type thief-based pokemon?

GoldCyndaquil

Shiny Hunter
You could say the foam on his back resembles a swag bag, and would develop through evolutions, meaning he could be a dark type thief-based pokemon?

Well if it was a swag bag then Froakie's final evo would be Water/Swag and it would be called the Swaggy Pokémon and be the most swaggenist Pokémon in town.

Regality

Digital King
Well if it was a swag bag then Froakie's final evo would be Water/Swag and it would be called the Swaggy Pokémon and be the most swaggenist Pokémon in town.

..please say you are joking and that you do know what swag bag is?

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Is anyone going to try and attempt to get all 3 starters?

elfrings

I must be the only one who actually likes Froakie the most.
Something about it just intrigues me...
IDK. I guess I just always choose the underdogs.

I like Froakie a lot. That poll was actually pretty difficult to settle on an answer, for me. Most generations of the game there's usually at least one I like least without any difficulty deciding. But these all look great so far in their youngest forms. My decision on which I like most will be swayed heavily by what their evolutionary forms look like... not to mention their attacks. :)

DCFan

The Flame Jacobite
Personally i feel we can't judge the starters probably right now..we just have to wait till the starter evolution come out..

Blue Cobra

Bug Trainer
About their stats, I think Chespin will be physical based with high attack and defense. If it turns out to be Grass/Rock, Leaf Blade and Stone Edge could be nice as dual STAB moves.
As for Fennekin, I think it will have high S.Atk and Speed, while Froakie will be the bulkiest with equally high base defenses and a great HP stat.

firestarter2398

I like Froakie a lot. That poll was actually pretty difficult to settle on an answer, for me. Most generations of the game there's usually at least one I like least without any difficulty deciding. But these all look great so far in their youngest forms. My decision on which I like most will be swayed heavily by what their evolutionary forms look like... not to mention their attacks. :)

i know what you mean this gen is a hard one for picking a starter, but some gens for me to pick one were hard. all starters were awesome in g1 but picked charander, cyndaquil was an easy choice in g2, I always picked fire starters but g3 treecko was too awesome, again chimchar was too amazing not to be picked, I was torn between snivy and tepig then I saw the evolutions and tepig was the choice, but now there's chespin and fennekin (I don't like froakie and still haven't picked a water starter) but I can't pick a starter yet until I've seen evolutions
oh and I'm pretty sure chespin is based on a squirrel

Ungoliath

Not a GenWunner
Completely.

Even if I will pick Froakie first, it's for sure I'll have a second or a third run and try the three.

BayBird

Hummingbird Advocate
I haven't exactly thought too in depth about what I currently expect the starters' evolutions to look like as they progress. I know for sure I'm choosing Chespin (alliterationnn!), so obviously I'm more worried about how it turns out. I have this horrible feeling that he'll get incredibly bulky like Venusaur/Meganium(sorta?)/Torterra were. I like the lithe look that the Treecko line carried. But, we can't always have everything we want. I'm sure GF will excel with Chespin's evolutions and I'll be quite satisfied. I'd be pleased with a physical attacker sporting useful defense and moderate speed. Or even if it were slightly slow, good bulk to it in a Swampert kind of way would be acceptable, so long as that Attack is hefty.

i know what you mean this gen is a hard one for picking a starter, but some gens for me to pick one were hard. all starters were awesome in g1 but picked charander, cyndaquil was an easy choice in g2, I always picked fire starters but g3 treecko was too awesome, again chimchar was too amazing not to be picked, I was torn between snivy and tepig then I saw the evolutions and tepig was the choice, but now there's chespin and fennekin (I don't like froakie and still haven't picked a water starter) but I can't pick a starter yet until I've seen evolutions
oh and I'm pretty sure chespin is based on a squirrel

It's a hedgehog, but I could see where you see that. :)

Last edited:

john90

About their stats, I think Chespin will be physical based with high attack and defense. If it turns out to be Grass/Rock, Leaf Blade and Stone Edge could be nice as dual STAB moves.
As for Fennekin, I think it will have high S.Atk and Speed, while Froakie will be the bulkiest with equally high base defenses and a great HP stat.
I'm quite sure Froakie will be the Infernape of the situation. Spped and attack. You know it can learn quick attack and jump over three floors..

Gergenator

Veteran Trainer
What if froakie become water/Poison

Status
Not open for further replies.