• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Speculation/Discussion Thread

Which starter would you use?

• Chespin

Votes: 845 26.8%
  • Fennekin

Votes: 1,329 42.2%
  • Froakie

Votes: 849 27.0%
  • NONE, Dunsparce looks better

Votes: 127 4.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yveltal96

A little more human
As for the miltank.. you got me, but fur is barely ever shown on pokemon, you just kinda assume they have it.

That's exactly what I am getting at, it's there, we're just supposed to assume it is.

And I am gonna assume you are joking about Chespin still having spikes on its back :D

whyyyy would I be joking about that exactly?

Regality

Digital King
That's exactly what I am getting at, it's there, we're just supposed to assume it is.

whyyyy would I be joking about that exactly?

Well the spikes are clearly not visible on chespins back when stationary in battle, nor were they brought out when it used its attack... There is nothing pointing to it being able to protrude spikes from its back.

Yes, you could give the whole "well they haven't said that it can't produce spikes from its back", but really? Gamefreak haven't said that magmar doesn't have wings, but we know it doesn't.

I agree, it could happen, I just think it is unlikely for Chespin.

Yveltal96

A little more human
Well the spikes are clearly not visible on chespins back when stationary in battle, nor were they brought out when it used its attack... There is nothing pointing to it being able to protrude spikes from its back.

I did say it doesn't have to be visible. Miltank's fur doesn't shoot out in different directions when it attacks, does that mean it doesn't have fur?

Yes, you could give the whole "well they haven't said that it can't produce spikes from its back", but really? Gamefreak haven't said that magmar doesn't have wings, but we know it doesn't.
I never said that little quote and I wouldn't, because it's a stupid argument and completely irrelevant.

I agree, it could happen, I just think it is unlikely for Chespin.
why is it unlikely exactly? It does say after all that it has spikes on it in it's description. So it has come straight from GF, so it's safe to say that Chespin has spikes.

Regality

Digital King
I did say it doesn't have to be visible. Miltank's fur doesn't shoot out in different directions when it attacks, does that mean it doesn't have fur?

I never said that little quote and I wouldn't, because it's a stupid argument and completely irrelevant.

why is it unlikely exactly? It does say after all that it has spikes on it in it's description. So it has come straight from GF, so it's safe to say that Chespin has spikes.

Most pokemon don't show fur, but through the generations we have established that we are just meant to accept that they do have it. (Probably laziness on their part)

Yes, chespin has spikes.. on it head.
The Grass-type Pokémon Chespin has a tough shell covering its head and back. Despite having a curious nature that tends to get it in trouble, Chespin keeps an optimistic outlook and doesn't worry about small details. <-- That is all that was on Chespin on the Pokemon website, no mention of spikes though?

Chespin, the Chestnut Pokemon, is covered by a hard shell on its head and back that it uses to protect itself from attacks. It is able to make the spikes on its head shell sharper by focusing its energy. It knows Tackle, Growl, Vine Whip, and Rollout. <--- From Corocoro(?) and only mention them on the head.

firestarter2398

o.k if you don't agree with this then you're stupid and read this 3 times so you get exactly what i'm saying before you reply with something stupid that I clearly didn't mean
Chespin might have spikes but you can't see them cuz they could be cactus spikes short spiky and can't be seen head on
these spikes that might exist would grow on evolution
if you reply with something that I didn't mean I'll correct and tell you to read it again!

pikaryan

o.k if you don't agree with this then you're stupid and read this 3 times so you get exactly what i'm saying before you reply with something stupid that I clearly didn't mean
Chespin might have spikes but you can't see them cuz they could be cactus spikes short spiky and can't be seen head on
these spikes that might exist would grow on evolution
if you reply with something that I didn't mean I'll correct and tell you to read it again!

Exactly. We have no way of knowing what Chespin can or can't do, especially when it's evolutions haven't even been revealed.

superyellowduck

Ace Trainer
I really do hope the evolutions and their types get announced soon. There is a good chance that the spikes on Chespin's head will grow on evolution. Maybe grows all over the back and it can hide itself into a ball much like a hedgehog or something... This is all conjecture since we have nothing to go on...

Arxeon

I think at E3 they will announce a few new pokemon and maybe release stater evos I mean E3 is about halfway to the realease and would be an excellent way to show of the evolution animation for pokemon X and Y.

MastersOfMonsters

~Yaoi FanBoy~
Chespin do have spikes. They are clearly visable on his head. Only, they are only spikes when he's batteling, apparantly (as seen on the main Pkmn site). ^^ I think you can also see them get sharp when he attacks in the trailers.

I've yet to see fire from Fennekin's ears, though.

Arxeon

So hopefully we can have a better idea on what they final formes will be if they show them off.
My only personal hope is that Froakie won't become water/Flying I don't really like that typing because its been used alot and I thinks there are better typings for a starter (Water/Electric or Water/Dark are my personal hopes) other than that I'm fine with what we are given.
(Unless fennekin is fire/fighting)

It has got spikes I don't know why people don't think it has. Chestnuts have spiky shells but to be fair it does say Chespin is the shelled chestnut pokemon so if we really wanted to be technical it doesn't really have spikes because the inside of chestnuts are smooth but it's design clearly says it has spikes.

Last edited by a moderator:
While many Pokemon have hidden features I really doubt Chespin has spikes on its back.
Most pokemon don't show fur, but through the generations we have established that we are just meant to accept that they do have it. (Probably laziness on their part)

Yes, chespin has spikes.. on it head.
The Grass-type Pokémon Chespin has a tough shell covering its head and back. Despite having a curious nature that tends to get it in trouble, Chespin keeps an optimistic outlook and doesn't worry about small details. <-- That is all that was on Chespin on the Pokemon website, no mention of spikes though?

Chespin, the Chestnut Pokemon, is covered by a hard shell on its head and back that it uses to protect itself from attacks. It is able to make the spikes on its head shell sharper by focusing its energy. It knows Tackle, Growl, Vine Whip, and Rollout. <--- From Corocoro(?) and only mention them on the head.
This is the main reason. The fact that they only mention that its head spikes can become sharper nearly excludes the idea of it having spikes on its back. Besides, most new Pokemon with such features show them of in their moving sprite (5th gen), or 3D figure (6th)now. Chespin haven't shown any spikes on its back while stationary, while attacking or while being hit.

Last edited:

MastersOfMonsters

~Yaoi FanBoy~
Actually, you can see just barely that the spikes gets sharp when he attacks (seen easiest in the first trailer, when he uses Solar Beam, I think). And we've seen his back, and there's no visible spikes there.

firestarter2398

Look at chespin's back from the side and you'll have the answer, no spikes on his back so stop saying there are spikes on it is just stupid there aren't even stuble spikes so spikes for his back could happen but isn't on chespin. The spikes on it's head are leaves but that's the point leaf spikes so can we put this to rest. No back spikes, leaf spikes on his head got it

MastersOfMonsters

~Yaoi FanBoy~
... Yeah. Spikes on his head.

Anyways, Fennekin apparantly shoots fire from his ears. Does it mean that, the fire attacks actually comes from the ears, or just that his ear hair (lol) lits up when attacking, like Blaziken's wrists? I'd guess the second, personally.

Yveltal96

A little more human
Look at chespin's back from the side and you'll have the answer, no spikes on his back so stop saying there are spikes on it is just stupid there aren't even stuble spikes so spikes for his back could happen but isn't on chespin. The spikes on it's head are leaves but that's the point leaf spikes so can we put this to rest. No back spikes, leaf spikes on his head got it

you don't know that though. And just saying it's stupid doesn't make it anymore "impossible"
Like said before, Miltank has fur but it isn't visible. It isn't "stupid" it is very plausible. Come down from your high chair.

Gergenator

Veteran Trainer
So today were arguing about Chespin????

MastersOfMonsters

~Yaoi FanBoy~
So today were arguing about Chespin????

Looks like it. But let's change that. Let's complain about how Fennekin should be deaf with all that ear-hair. :3

Gergenator

Veteran Trainer
Looks like it. But let's change that. Let's complain about how Fennekin should be deaf with all that ear-hair. :3

He might have some attack relating to it :p

with such big ears might have alot of wax witch would be flamable witch could cause his ears to shoot out fire.....

MastersOfMonsters

~Yaoi FanBoy~
He might have some attack relating to it :p

with such big ears might have alot of wax witch could cause his ears to shoot out fire.....

Oh, flamable ear-wax! I'm liking Fennekin more and more~ XD

I wonder what bodypart will be on fire for the next Fire Starter...

Status
Not open for further replies.