• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Speculation/Discussion Thread

Which starter would you use?

• Chespin

Votes: 845 26.8%
  • Fennekin

Votes: 1,329 42.2%
  • Froakie

Votes: 849 27.0%
  • NONE, Dunsparce looks better

Votes: 127 4.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ditto24

We'll see. At least let's hope he gets a cool design.

I'm probs being a bit optimistic but i have a good feeling about the starters this gen. I love pretty much every design so far so I'm expecting alot from them, I think they'll live up in some way. The problem with revealing them so early though is that people can get a design in mind in their head and some can be hard to get over. it took me a while to get used to Samurott coz I just didn't expect anything like it.

But Yeah, I have a good feeling.

CrusherTheFeraligatr

Strider: Spider King
I'm probs being a bit optimistic but i have a good feeling about the starters this gen. I love pretty much every design so far so I'm expecting alot from them, I think they'll live up in some way. The problem with revealing them so early though is that people can get a design in mind in their head and some can be hard to get over. it took me a while to get used to Samurott coz I just didn't expect anything like it.

But Yeah, I have a good feeling.

So do I, but I have a felling they'll be rather hit or miss.

R000

I love all the starters, but I love Chespin the most :) They're such an improvement from Gen V's HORRIBLE starters. Nice recovery, GF!

CrusherTheFeraligatr

Strider: Spider King
Thats coz you've had time to imagine roughly what you want out of them, thats the problem when they leave it this long xD

Ugh, I know.

^Chespin's my hope, and I loved samurott.

Ditto24

I love all the starters, but I love Chespin the most :) They're such an improvement from Gen V's HORRIBLE starters. Nice recovery, GF!

Bit harsh xD But thats your opinion so. I personally loved Oshawott.

If we have a perfect type triangle like those three, then probably.
But currently, we don't.

Well we could have Rock, Fighting and Flying. As Rock is SE against Flying, Flying SE against Fighting and Fighting SE against Rock. And reverse, Rock NFE against Fighting, Fighting NFE against Flying and Flying NFE against Rock

That said, I find Rock, Fighting and Flying to be strange starter types, and prefer Grass, Water and Fire.

Nacreous

Fire trainer
Well we could have Rock, Fighting and Flying. As Rock is SE against Flying, Flying SE against Fighting and Fighting SE against Rock. And reverse, Rock NFE against Fighting, Fighting NFE against Flying and Flying NFE against Rock

That said, I find Rock, Fighting and Flying to be strange starter types, and prefer Grass, Water and Fire.

Grass/Rock
Water/Fighting
Fire/Flying

or

Grass/Fighting
Water/Flying
Fire/Rock

The Last Jedi

Stalling is Cowardly
Chimchar and torichic lines have those already so it will just keep adding to the list, froakie I believe should have water/poison to give him that complete real poison frog type, so if they were dual types that would be a good one froakie. I will be selecting him as my starte regardless.

SnowGlaceon

Glaceon master
Lets Put A Spin On Things.

Actually i believe the final evolutions should be grass/ dark, fire/psychic, and water, fighting. That way people have the ability to defeat all of the starters, instead of the ones they are super-effective against. What do you guys believe?
;471;

nuzamaki90

I'd be perfectly fine with the Fire/Water/Grass and Dark/Psychic/Fighting theory. I can't see Fennekin turning into anything but Fire/Psychic unless it becomes pure Fire like Typlohsion.

Chespin is the 3rd grass starter Iv liked over the Fire-starters, even though this will be the first games where I choose the Grass starter. And I don't want my expectations to be ill, I want Chespin to live up to my grass-starter expectations. Treecko and Turtwig both looked a bit weird when I first saw them, but I ended up liking them over the other starters, and they both ended up evolving to incredibly cool Pokemon. Sceptile and Torterra still remain in my Top 20 of GameFreak's best Pokemon designs. I want this pattern to continue, I want Chespin to evolve into the best Grass Starter out of all 6 generations.

_Sylveon_

Indigo Champion
I'd be perfectly fine with the Fire/Water/Grass and Dark/Psychic/Fighting theory. I can't see Fennekin turning into anything but Fire/Psychic unless it becomes pure Fire like Typlohsion.

Chespin is the 3rd grass starter Iv liked over the Fire-starters, even though this will be the first games where I choose the Grass starter. And I don't want my expectations to be ill, I want Chespin to live up to my grass-starter expectations. Treecko and Turtwig both looked a bit weird when I first saw them, but I ended up liking them over the other starters, and they both ended up evolving to incredibly cool Pokemon. Sceptile and Torterra still remain in my Top 20 of GameFreak's best Pokemon designs. I want this pattern to continue, I want Chespin to evolve into the best Grass Starter out of all 6 generations.

D: I have gone (in gen order) : Fire -> Water -> Water -> Fire -> Grass -> Grass

i am all tied up lol >.<

MY order Grass>Grass> Water> Grass >Grass >Grass

I wrote grass so much i dont even know if thats how you spell it anymore

R000

My order:
Fire —> Fire —> Fire —> Water/ Fire —> Fire

I'm a hopeless creature of habit (XD), but in all seriousness I want Chespin so far. I always make my decision based on the final evolutions, though. I see potential for all of them. Froakie I originally hated, but it's really grown on me. Fennekin was my initial second choice if Chespin's final evo sucked, but I love them all a lot! This is the best bunch I've seen, and I really hope GameFreak does them justice in the evolutions department.

That being said, I want Water/Fighting, Fire/Psychic, Grass/Dark. A second effectiveness triangle would be awesome! I've been rooting for this since the Direct in January, and I see plenty of potential for the designs.

Last edited:

sunny phoenix

my order:

Fire -> Grass -> Grass -> Grass -> Grass -> Fire

Lol although fire is my favorite type i only liked the first 2 gen's fire starters XD

skittlepup

Braixen is MINE ;)
Actually i believe the final evolutions should be grass/ dark, fire/psychic, and water, fighting. That way people have the ability to defeat all of the starters, instead of the ones they are super-effective against. What do you guys believe?
;471;
I've supported the rumor of a second triangle ever since it was introduced. I like how it allows each starter to have an advantage against the one it would normally be not-very-effective against. It just seems fair to me.
And I'd love a Fire/Psychic Fennekin. :3

Speaking of starters... (I only have from Emerald)

Water --> Water (Platinum) --> Water (SS) --> Water (B) --> Grass (B2)
Yeah I like meh water starters ~

Ditto24

I've supported the rumor of a second triangle ever since it was introduced. I like how it allows each starter to have an advantage against the one it would normally be not-very-effective against. It just seems fair to me.
And I'd love a Fire/Psychic Fennekin. :3

Speaking of starters... (I only have from Emerald)

Water --> Water (Platinum) --> Water (SS) --> Water (B) --> Grass (B2)
Yeah I like meh water starters ~

Me too. Water Gen 1 all the way to 6 :D

Status
Not open for further replies.