• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Speculation/Discussion Thread

Which starter would you use?

• Chespin

Votes: 845 26.8%
  • Fennekin

Votes: 1,329 42.2%
  • Froakie

Votes: 849 27.0%
  • NONE, Dunsparce looks better

Votes: 127 4.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

skittlepup

Braixen is MINE ;)
Me too. Water Gen 1 all the way to 6 :D

I wasn't here for Gens I or II. :p If I was there, though, it probably would have been Water still.

Astrint

Breeding Star
in order for me, starting from crystal: Fire(Crystal), grass(ruby)/Fire(Sapphire)/reset over and over for all starters(emerald), Fire(FR)/Fire(LG), Grass(Diamond)/Grass and fire(Pearl)/???(haven't started my platinum yet), Fire(Black)/Water(White), Riolu(W2)/DWF Magikarp and Drought Vulpix(B2)....

After the white and black starters were used again for BW2, I just ditched the starters and started training a competitive team. I was originally going to play through Black with my shiny gastly that a friend gave me and thunderus-t but I wanted to start competitive battling to join local leagues.

Last edited:

Thunderfox

Not counting remakes my order has been Fire->Water->Grass-> Water -Grass.

I haven't picked a Fire starter since charizard(though blaziken was tempting), Sinnohs been the only gen were I liked all 3. Looking like I'm going with Chespin this gen but Fennekin might get lucky and be my first primary fire starter in forever.

gpt11

the problem I am having with choosing which starter I would like is they have shown us some really cool alternate choices

Chespin - Gogoat
Fennekin - Talonflame
Froakie - Skrelp/Clauncher

I still don't know which one to choose (which is silly as I will end up with all 3 but its that first choice that really sets the game in motion)

Ditto24

the problem I am having with choosing which starter I would like is they have shown us some really cool alternate choices

Chespin - Gogoat
Fennekin - Talonflame

I still don't know which one to choose (which is silly as I will end up with all 3 but its that first choice that really sets the game in motion)

Agreed. I REALLY wanna use Clauncher but I always pick the Water starter.... conflicted!

KKS-Lapras

Agreed. I REALLY wanna use Clauncher but I always pick the Water starter.... conflicted!

Stick with the Water-type starter. As you can seen from the "Favorite Starter Poll", you'll be in the minority, and that makes it worth while.

Ditto24

Stick with the Water-type starter. As you can seen from the "Favorite Starter Poll", you'll be in the minority, and that makes it worth while.

Yeah you're right. Oshawott got ALOT of hate when the gen V ones were first revealed :( I defended him until the end and now looks at him. Clearly the most favored starter when it came to the anime. :D

Alli

I don't remember which starters I chose in RBY, but my order is

FRLG: Grass
HGSS: Water
RSE: Fire
DPP: Fire
BW: Water

I really hope Chespin turns out to be a good grass starter, because as of today only Bulbasaur is the "better" choise when it comes to grass starters.

mew 2000

Shiny Celebi
my order

fire-fire-fire ( didn't last long reset and used mudkip xD finished the game reset and used treeko alot eventually went back to mudkip) grass-water

Here is my order for first playthrough, as I have started over on many of the games several times.
Totodile(C) - Mudkip(R) - Squirtle(FR) - Mudkip(E) - Piplup(P) - Turtwig (Pt) - Cyndaquil (HG) - Odhawott (W) - Tepig (W2)
Well I generally like the water starters the best, and I also like Froakie best of the basic designs from 6th gen.

My favorites are kind of matching my fist playthroughs, but completely: Squirtle(I) - Cyndaquil(II) - Mudkip(III) - Piplup(IV) - Oshawott(V)

Last edited:

adamfitz

poké-lover

Chespin - Gogoat
Fennekin - Talonflame

Yeah it really does
And what I feel makes it more enjoyable is just going with your favorites regardless of your choice's types
Sure you may struggle at time but that just makes it all the more fun

___

My order went
Chickorita(started with silver)-squirtle-mudkip-piplup-oshawott
And froakie is next in line

lavanda

Really feeling it
First playthrough: Charmander, Cyndaquil, Torchic (oh my how I regretted that), Chimchar, Snivy
Favorites: Charmander, Chikorita, Mudkip, Turtwig, Oshawott, Chespin

Pretty much I was blind for Fire as a kid but now I don't have a strong preference, maybe Grass. Still, Gen VI evos might change my mind, making me more inclined to Water if I choose Froakie or neutral if I choose Fennekin.

Ninfia-Fan

Bulbasaur(Red)
Charmander(FR)
Cyndaquil(C)
Treecko(Ru)
Torchic(E. I regretted it when I got to the last gym)
All three(D. I always gave up and tried a different starter)
Chimchar(Pt. I was killed by Lucian... XP)
Snivy/Oshawott (B)
Snivy (B2)

I mostly use the fire type, with a bit of grass and hardly any water types.
At this moment I'm still going for Fennekin, but Chespin might win, depending on the evos.

skittlepup

Braixen is MINE ;)
My guess for starters gaining a perfect triangle of weaknesses for eachother then it will be grass/rock Fire/psychic/ water/steel
I don't think they'd make Froakie Water/Steel so soon after Empoleon.

Status
Not open for further replies.