• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Speculation/Discussion Thread

Which starter would you use?

• Chespin

Votes: 845 26.8%
  • Fennekin

Votes: 1,329 42.2%
  • Froakie

Votes: 849 27.0%
  • NONE, Dunsparce looks better

Votes: 127 4.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
My guess for starters gaining a perfect triangle of weaknesses for eachother then it will be grass/rock Fire/psychic/ water/steel
How is that a perfect triangle?
I don't think they'd make Froakie Water/Steel so soon after Empoleon.
Blaziken, Infernape and Emboar say otherwise, unfortunately.

skittlepup

Braixen is MINE ;)
How is that a perfect triangle?

Blaziken, Infernape and Emboar say otherwise, unfortunately.

Yeah I know, but Empoleon was one of a kind, and not the let's-completely-kill-the-Fire/Fighting type-dead thing.

KKS-Lapras

My guess for starters gaining a perfect triangle of weaknesses for eachother then it will be grass/rock Fire/psychic/ water/steel

Whether it be Rock, Psychic, and Steel, or Dark, Psychic, and Fighting, I personally wish they wouldn't do the reverse triangle thing, there's really no need to do that, imo.

I'd much rather see a sleak Fire/Ground Fennekin evolution, that's quick to burrow in holes and such, and see a cool Water/Flying Froakie evolution since it does bear strong resemblence to several real life species of "flying" frogs.

Blackjack the Titan

It’s been a while
Grass/Rock, Fire, and Water/Steel is a better and more balance triangle.
However! Water/Steel takes neutral damage to fire, and so does Grass/Rock. So Fire/Psychic would not make a triangle at all.

CrusherTheFeraligatr

Strider: Spider King
Actually i believe the final evolutions should be grass/ dark, fire/psychic, and water, fighting. That way people have the ability to defeat all of the starters, instead of the ones they are super-effective against. What do you guys believe?
;471;

That's been the main idea since the beginning, my friend.

Squirtle, totodile, mudkip, piplup, and oshawott for me. Sadly, this is the first time I don't like the water starter.

KKS-Lapras

That's been the main idea since the beginning, my friend.

Squirtle, totodile, mudkip, piplup, and oshawott for me. Sadly, this is the first time I don't like the water starter.

Yee traitor of the Water-type starters, lol. Froakie is actually one of my favorite Water-type starter designs, kind of wish and calculative looking in my opinion.

I still see the reverse triangle thing as being overkill. The starters don't need to be "balanced" or "circular" like that. There are typings that would fit so much more.

CrusherTheFeraligatr

Strider: Spider King
Yee traitor of the Water-type starters, lol. Froakie is actually one of my favorite Water-type starter designs, kind of wish and calculative looking in my opinion.

If he looks like that one famous fan art going around, the one where he looks dragon-y.

Everlasting

Everything stays.
For me, it has been Squirtle, Chikorita, Torchic, Piplup and Oshawott (and Snivy if we count Black and White 2).
Naturally Water types always end to take their place second if not my favorite (Totodile and Mudkip in front of Cyndaquil and Treecko) but this time Water type ends last. Chespin being my favorite and Fennekin not far behind. I like how those starters are different from the past generation... I don't know how to explain, but these are pretty original.

Ace Trainer Alex

wants to fight!
Knowing my trend, I will likely start with Cespin. Usually gone with Grass types when I play a pokemon game the first time through (Turtwig will always be my fave). Lately I've been trying out other starters, to some good effect, but knowing me, I'm going grass again.

Crimson Penguin

Marchin' on
My initial starter choices were Bulbasaur (I think... it's been a long time), Chikorita, Treecko, Piplup, and Snivy. It's funny, because Fire is my favorite type, but I've never picked it first when it comes to the starters. However, that'll be changing with X and Y, because Fennekin is definitely going to be on my team. Since I'm getting both versions, I'll use Fennekin in X (probably my main) and Chespin in Y.

On a side note, I really hope the starters' type rumor is true and Fennekin will end up part Psychic. I've been wanting that type combination for a long time (yeah, there's Victini, but I don't really like to use event-only Pokemon on my ingame team).

XXD17

Draco rex
my order:

Fire -> Grass -> Grass -> Grass -> Grass -> Fire

Lol although fire is my favorite type i only liked the first 2 gen's fire starters XD

I don't have pattern...I just get the one that looks the best...charmander, cyndaquil, treecko, piplup, snivy...and I'm sticking with fennekin...I have faith that its evo won't let me down...

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
It's possible, personally I don't like Froakie with water/ice since he's looks to be a fragile speedster and ice doesn't do any benefits defensively making him a glass cannon but I'll admit that's my personal preference. Fennekin's better and stat-wise fire/flying is benefitted enough by the impression I get from Fennekin so it depends on the concept for him, Chespin rules with grass/fighting even if it's more defensive.

Neriifur

Does anyone have an idea what the "kin" in Fennekin's name may mean? I'm guessing it's half of a word considering that it's usually how Pokemon wordplay works. I basically wanna doodle up some evolution ideas.

I'm thinking kin could be short for kineses as in psychic...

Last edited:

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
Does anyone have an idea what the "kin" in Fennekin's name may mean? I'm guessing it's half of a word considering that it's usually how Pokemon wordplay works. I basically wanna doodle up some evolution ideas.

It comes from kindle.

DCFan

The Flame Jacobite

I think that could be it but i am not 100% sure..

Neriifur

Oh hahah thanks guys. That actually makes a lot of sense xD lol.. (Fennekin - Fennec Kindle - Fox fire) I never heard the word Kindle before, so I was looking through a dictionary for words with "kin" in them.

Samayowa

you amaze me.
I've never thought of it before but in every game, I've always picked the water type starter. There's just something about them that attracts me to use them. Hopefully X&Y continue that trend. Chepsin as of right now doesn't interest me and Fennekin is a close second. We'll just have to wait and see what the EVOs are like, movepools, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.