• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Speculation/Discussion Thread

Which starter would you use?

• Chespin

Votes: 845 26.8%
  • Fennekin

Votes: 1,329 42.2%
  • Froakie

Votes: 849 27.0%
  • NONE, Dunsparce looks better

Votes: 127 4.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Neriifur

If Fennekin didn't exist I would have picked up Chespin. I love grass types hahaha. I used to have a pet fennec fox, so I'm going to name Fennekin after my old fox so it'll be like I still have him. :3 .. And he will be on my main permanent team forever.

Valdoom

Team Armageddon
I usually go water for my first game and then if I get another version I pick a different starter

Red/fire red - Squirtle
Silver/soul silver - Totodile
Crystal - Cyndaquil
Emerald - Mudkip
Pearl - Piplup
Platinum - Turtwig
White - Oshawott
Black 2 - Tepig

So I'm mostly likely picking Froakie for X and then any other versions I get one of the other 2 :)

CrusherTheFeraligatr

Strider: Spider King
What about Water/Ice, Fire/Flying, Grass/Fighting trio? weird but possible. *starters end up as pure types*

Ow, poor chespin.

Felon

For me it was:
Red - Charmander, Gold - Totodile, Ruby - Treecko/Mudkip, Pearl/Platinum - Turtwig, Heartgold - Totodile, Black - Snivy, Black2 - Oshawott.
I've literally never wanted to use a fire type started since gen1, I think it was something to do with the fact that they were always what the majority of people chose, it was weird and still is.
What is it about fire that is so appealing to the world?

spiller

for me on my first play i choose
gen 1- charmander gen 2- cyndaquil gen 3- treecko gen 4- piplup gen 5- oshawott and im gonna pick froakie in gen 6
me favorite in gen 2 is tododile and gen 4 my favorite was turtwig

XGallade

I'm going with the rumor the starters are Fire/Psychic, Grass/Dark and Water/Fighting, considering none of the rumors have been proven completely wrong yet. Some people may not like the reverse triangle, but Fire/Psychic? All of my yes.

I chose Squirtle, Cyndaquil, Mudkip, Turtwig and Snivy. Will be getting Fennekin this gen

So 2 water, 2 grass and 2 fire. I just decide by looks. :p

CrusherTheFeraligatr

That Could work..Breloom was a great Pokemon.. so Chespin has a shot of being very good..this would be very balanced if it actually happened..

I know it happened with swampert, but giving him fighting, and fennekin flying?

Jskid44

Froak you!!
Maybe!

And Fire/Psychic is only the beginning of two more fully evolved Fire/Psychic starters in Gen VII and Gen VIII.

I wouldn't mind this really. I love Fire/Psychic for typing. (Even though I will be going with Froakie) If Fennekin has good stats I will use him in competitive battling.

Neriifur

I personally don't see any way a fox could be a fighting type... Unless they pull a Renamon >_> Even then a renamon looking Pokemon wouldn't be fit for a fighting type imo..

But yeah, if the first stage Pokemon are going to have double types, I can honestly see it being something like this:

Fire/Psychic
Water/Fighting
Grass/Dark

Psychic -> Fighting -> Dark -> Psychic
Water -> Fire -> Grass - > Water

Since a trend has been forever to make the first stages always counter each other.. just a thought.

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
I personally don't see any way a fox could be a fighting type... Unless they pull a Renamon >_> Even then a renamon looking Pokemon wouldn't be fit for a fighting type imo..

But yeah, if the first stage Pokemon are going to have double types, I can honestly see it being something like this:

Fire/Psychic
Water/Fighting
Grass/Dark

Psychic -> Fighting -> Dark -> Psychic
Water -> Fire -> Grass - > Water

Even though I like it, because Psychic deals no damage to Dark, and fighting is the only one of these to deal Neutral Damage to itself, the second part isn't really a Type Triangle, and it essentially leaves Fennekin rather shafted in terms of Typing.

gpt11

Even though I like it, because Psychic deals no damage to Dark, and fighting is the only one of these to deal Neutral Damage to itself, the second part isn't really a Type Triangle, and it essentially leaves Fennekin rather shafted in terms of Typing.

not really

Fire is weak to water and psychic is strong against fighting it gives Fennekin an chance to win against Frokies line (the starter line its weak to)

If it was to go up against Chespins line it would just use its fire attacks anyway (also the dark typing gives Chespin the same chance to beat the Fennekin line)

_Sylveon_

Indigo Champion
Chespin: Fire/Fighting
Froakie: Fire/Fighting
Fennekin: Bug/Flying

it is all confirmed you guys. lol, jk, here is what I hope:

Chespin: Grass/Ice or Grass/Poison
Froakie: Water/Electric
Fennekin: Fire/Fairy or Fire/Ground or Fire/Psychic

CrusherTheFeraligatr

Where'd ya get ice from? And I like poison, I brought it up in the beginning, got a few takers.

DCFan

The Flame Jacobite
I've never thought of it before but in every game, I've always picked the water type starter. There's just something about them that attracts me to use them. Hopefully X&Y continue that trend. Chepsin as of right now doesn't interest me and Fennekin is a close second. We'll just have to wait and see what the EVOs are like, movepools, etc.

That is pretty much me expect i always picked the Grass Type Starter but i am know going to pick a Fire Type Starter...

Neriifur

TBH I was hoping that Fennekin would be a fairy type as well xD But I doubt they would give a starter a special new type ;___; Unless they did it in the past games, but I haven't played the old games in so long I don't really remember.

DCFan

The Flame Jacobite
TBH I was hoping that Fennekin would be a fairy type as well xD But I doubt they would give a starter a special new type ;___; Unless they did it in the past games, but I haven't played the old games in so long I don't really remember.

I agree..in my opinion it would be very stupid to give one of the starters the Fairy Type..

EonDragonFTW

I want Froakie to evolve into a master kung fu Fighting frog!
And I'll nickname him F*ckie

Status
Not open for further replies.