• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Speculation/Discussion Thread

Which starter would you use?

• Chespin

Votes: 845 26.8%
  • Fennekin

Votes: 1,329 42.2%
  • Froakie

Votes: 849 27.0%
  • NONE, Dunsparce looks better

Votes: 127 4.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yveltal96

A little more human
Dark colours, sharp and rough edges all around. Just juxtapose it to the polar opposites, meaning: Dark coloured and sharpedged <> Light coloured and round.

See how that is quite clear what is 'menacing', opposed to 'cute'? If you attach those characteristics to pokemon that they would fit, you might end up with: Deino <> Jigglypuff. And Jiggles is the complete opposite of menacing, it's a rubber balloon.. Oh, unless you're afraid of big round gazing eyes.. 0.0

I still think he's adorable. And I never said that that Jigglypuff was menacing. I don't really find many Pokemon menacing. God forbid I think the blind little dinosaur is cute

CrusherTheFeraligatr

Strider: Spider King
PLEASE, YES.

When will it be released?!?

I too would love to know when they'll be released. I want my shell armor samurott.

And I'm honored to be a part of your signature.

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
Serperior at least gets Coil to boost it's Attack, plus Defense and Accuracy too. Just wait until Contrary Snivy is released!

That's never gonna happen any time soon. I'm already dreading whatever statdrop-moves Malamar is going to get. Oh well, aside from Psycho Boost, there aren't any Dark/Psychic-type moves that have a negative stat-effect which also do damage to the opponent, so unless they conjure up a Dark-type Leaf Storm, I don't think it will be much of an issue.. It isn't likely for it to learn Psycho Boost anyway.. :p

Well, to be the fastest fully-evolved Water Starter it needs to beat a bench mark base speed of 78... (78, 78, 60, 60, 70...)

That's horrendous.. o.0

I still think he's adorable. And I never said that that Jigglypuff was menacing. I don't really find many Pokemon menacing. God forbid I think the blind little dinosaur is cute

I never said you said that Jigglypuff was menacing. I just replied to the question: How is this menacing. I juxtaposed some characteristics with the polar opposites and that's the conclusion that rolled out.

Deino: Sharp edged and dark colored.
Opposite traits: Round edged and light colored.
Pokemon matching those opposite traits: Jigglypuff/Marill/Swablu
Opposite marker of 'menacing': Cute

You can only come to the conclusion that when comparing Deino, to something that has polar opposite traits (like Jigglypuff/Marill and Swablu) that it does look menacing. You may find it adorable, but it has menacing traits in comparison and doesn't fit the typical 'cute'-description. Again, just answering a question in an organized structure, not saying that you finding the Deino adorable is unthinkable...

ToeyJoey

The Count
That's horrendous..

I know, I couldn't believe it when I went to check. I felt sure there'd be one with at least "middling" speed...

Well, to be the fastest fully-evolved Water Starter it needs to beat a bench mark base speed of 78... (78, 78, 60, 60, 70...)

Really for the water starter to be considered fast, it would have to have a minimum of 100 base speed. Charizard and Typhlosion have 100 base speed, Sceptile has 120 base speed, Infernape has 108 base speed, and Serperior has 113 base speed. Base 100 speed is generally considered the benchmark as a lot of powerful pokemon start at that speed or higher (Salamence, Infernape, Garchomp, Staraptor, 3 Muskeeteers).

Something else I realized though. If Froakie is a fast physical water, then it competes with Floatzel, and if it is a fast special water, it competes with Starmie. Hopefully Froakie's evo has good stats on both sides.

I'll go with Froakie for now. That is until I see its final evolutions' stats and move pool. Hopefully this generation's starters will be better than black/white which saw me drop the fire/grass starters while relegating the water type to a false swipe/hm slave.

I somewhat know how you feel. The main issue that I had with the 5th gen starters is the "been there, done that" kind of feeling. Emboar (my favorite of the Unova starters) felt like a poor man's Blaziken and Infernape fusion, with the only notable difference being that Emboar gets Scald and could make use of Flame Charge (Infernape is kinda too frail to use it, Blaziken as well, just not quite as much). Serperior also gave me a poor man's Meganium/Sceptile with Meganium's defenses and Sceptile's speed, but bad coverage compared to the two. As for Samurott, it reminded me of all of the past water starters (a bulky water type), and I quickly got bored with it (although Revenge is a nice touch).

Now while I have never dropped a starter, BW1 was the first time I dropped the regional bird. Unfeazant was such a disappointment ingame.

Taodragon

Training Anaylst

fitzy909

Just another guy
I'll go with Froakie for now. That is until I see its final evolutions' stats and move pool. Hopefully this generation's starters will be better than black/white which saw me drop the fire/grass starters while relegating the water type to a false swipe/hm slave.

really last gen that was all the starters were goods for. they were not very good pokemon at all. hopefully, they'll be better this generation.

DCFan

The Flame Jacobite
I somewhat know how you feel. The main issue that I had with the 5th gen starters is the "been there, done that" kind of feeling. Emboar (my favorite of the Unova starters) felt like a poor man's Blaziken and Infernape fusion, with the only notable difference being that Emboar gets Scald and could make use of Flame Charge (Infernape is kinda too frail to use it, Blaziken as well, just not quite as much). Serperior also gave me a poor man's Meganium/Sceptile with Meganium's defenses and Sceptile's speed, but bad coverage compared to the two. As for Samurott, it reminded me of all of the past water starters (a bulky water type), and I quickly got bored with it (although Revenge is a nice touch).

Now while I have never dropped a starter, BW1 was the first time I dropped the regional bird. Unfeazant was such a disappointment ingame.

I agree..honestly i think that the starters's movesets should be very different from the previous gen starters

MrDuck

Come on people, are we still questioning whether Froakie will be fast.

We're already 95% sure he will since it's final hp will most likely be around Sceptile's level.

Ditto24

We're already 95% sure he will since it's final hp will most likely be around Sceptile's level.

Well nothing has been confirmed yet so people are still going to speculate. Also when did having low HP guarantee high Speed?

ToeyJoey

The Count
Well nothing has been confirmed yet so people are still going to speculate. Also when did having low HP guarantee high Speed?

It gives it a better chance because the stats have to go somewhere?

Ditto24

It gives it a better chance because the stats have to go somewhere?

Well the base forms have sometimes contradicted what they will be by their final forms. We don;t know for sure if or even how fast Froakie will be so the others can still discuss it if they want to. :)

bolter1

Swampert Trainer

For all we know, its HP and Speed could be low, but the rest of it stats are really good. By using the average change in percentage of HP from the base form to the final form for the starters (52.7%), Froakie's final evo will have a base HP of around 78. Blaziken has 80 HP, but has a slightly less than ideal 80 Speed (it would be out sped by a lot of Pokemon if not for Speed Boost). What gives it at BST of 530 is its 120 Attack and 110 Sp Attack. And, Mandibuzz has a base HP of 110, but the same base Speed as Blaziken.

Last edited:

MidnightFennekin

Unwashed skank
How about this!;

Okay, so in its first form, Froakie is very good at manipulating water, and is powerful!

In its second form, Froakie is a master at manipulating water, its power is greater, and it can now use Fire-Type and Ground-Type move, and dabbles in Flying-Type moves.

In its final form, Froakie's 'head stripe' becomes an arrow shape to show it has now mastered Flying-Type moves, and it has mastered all four beding techniques elemental types?

All we need is Fennekin to stay pure Fire that is used as a police dog, and Chespin becoming a innocent Grass/Ground...

Aurath8

The starter with the lowest HP has invariably become the fastest starter of the generation. Based on its HP at level 50 in the battles we've Froakie's HP is about 40-41 maximum. That's very similar to Cyndaquil, Treecko and Charmander and even less than Chimchar and Snivy.

Based on this it's very likely Froakie will be the fast starter.

Oh, and as for Blaziken, it still had higher HP than Sceptile in the end, and started with higher base HP as a Torchic. There's no doubt that a starter's stats can be close to eachother. Empoleon is only faster than Torterra by 4 base speed. Blastoise only has 5 more Spdef than Venusaur. However, the starters still fall into their roles as dictated by their first evolution's base stats.

bolter1

Swampert Trainer
The starter with the lowest HP has invariably become the fastest starter of the generation. Based on its HP at level 50 in the battles we've Froakie's HP is about 40-41 maximum. That's very similar to Cyndaquil, Treecko and Charmander and even less than Chimchar and Snivy.

Based on this it's very likely Froakie will be the fast starter.

Oh, and as for Blaziken, it still had higher HP than Sceptile in the end, and started with higher base HP as a Torchic. There's no doubt that a starter's stats can be close to eachother. Empoleon is only faster than Torterra by 4 base speed. Blastoise only has 5 more Spdef than Venusaur. However, the starters still fall into their roles as dictated by their first evolution's base stats.
My point was that just because it has relatively low HP, does not mean that it will be really fast. I agree that it does make it more likely, but not guaranteed. I'd say a more accurate chance would be about 75-80%

Status
Not open for further replies.