• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Speculation/Discussion Thread

Which starter would you use?

• Chespin

Votes: 845 26.8%
  • Fennekin

Votes: 1,329 42.2%
  • Froakie

Votes: 849 27.0%
  • NONE, Dunsparce looks better

Votes: 127 4.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

bolter1

Swampert Trainer
I dunno, I can't imagine chespin learning solarbeam level up.

And I'm happy orotto is finally revealed.
Is it because Chespin seems to be physically oriented? If it is, then remember that Solrock and Sawsbuck learn Solarbeam through level, but both have higher physical Attack than Special Attack and Ammonguss has equal attacking stats.

Or is it because you don't think they would let a starter learn two STAB attacks with a base power of 120 by level? If so, Venusaur learns both Petal Dance and Solarbeam by level.

Aonshinzo

TheCoolestTentacool
I still have my finger crossed for Froakie to be our first ever Water Starter with at least decent speed (thought I would honestly like to be the fastest)

CrusherTheFeraligatr

Strider: Spider King
Is it because Chespin seems to be physically oriented? If it is, then remember that Solrock and Sawsbuck learn Solarbeam through level, but both have higher physical Attack than Special Attack and Ammonguss has equal attacking stats.

Or is it because you don't think they would let a starter learn two STAB attacks with a base power of 120 by level? If so, Venusaur learns both Petal Dance and Solarbeam by level.

Sort of both, but you make good points.

NightFire7

Oh yeah I forgot Wooper can learn ice punch and that thing has no arms. So if Fennekin's final evo is bipedal than I guess it would make sense if it can learn Glow punch. According to serebii one of Fennekin's listed moves it can learn is Psychic. Well at least we know that Fennekin is going to have quite an interesting movepool.

KumaPanda

Psyduck is cute <3
Not Glow Punch! I really really hope that Glow Punch is like Sucker Punch and isn't a fighting move. Please don't be a fire/fighting type Fennekin. I'm so done with that type combination. Don't make this the 4th generation to do that Game Freak.

Tyranitar trainer

Back for a bit
I'd hate for Fennekin to be physical

DSDark

Breeder
I'm very scared now that fennekin is revealed to know a punching move.

Kuraikarasu

Isn't that Dandy?
Glow punch does not bode well for our future fire fighting starter ಠ_ಠ

Krake

Flabebe's Kids
I'm not worried about Fennekin. Glow Punch's type hasn't been revealed, and even if it was Fighting, Pokemon learn moves that aren't their type all the time.

Also, didn't one of the sources that have been right before state that Fennekin would be Fire/ Psychic? And that Froakie would be Water/Fighting and Chespin would be Grass/Dark? I don't see any reason for that to not be disproven right now.

Once again, the fanbase has decided to overreact to things based on limited context.

Lord Zoroark

Master Tactician
I just noticed something about Fennekin's Glow punch. The animation was really quick and even though that may be irrelevant, it might possibly be a priority move? Maybe a fire type priority move? And I think people have overreacted way too much about Fennekin learning Glow punch, we still don't know what type of attack it is.

... You know, this is a good theory. This might just be a Fire-type priority move. It was pretty quick. Scizor, prepare to die.

Underachiever007

Not Glow Punch! I really really hope that Glow Punch is like Sucker Punch and isn't a fighting move. Please don't be a fire/fighting type Fennekin. I'm so done with that type combination. Don't make this the 4th generation to do that Game Freak.

Well, Sucker Punch is sort of misnamed. It's not supposed to be a punching move at all, which is why its animation is so different from most other punch moves.

Ar-Rooh

Mega Absol Trainer
I really can't see Glow Punch being a fighting move. Perhaps I'm being optimistic because I don't want a Fighting/Fire starter :/

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
If you're worried about Fennekin evolving into a Fire/Fighting-type, just ask yourself, "How many Psychic-types are there that can learn Focus Blast?"

Personally, I don't even think that Glow Punch will be a Fighting-type move. The "Glow" aspect makes it sound more ethereal, as if it were a Psychic- or a Fairy-type move.

Last edited:

Underachiever007

I really can't see Glow Punch being a fighting move. Perhaps I'm being optimistic because I don't want a Fighting/Fire starter :/

The only thing that's got people thinking it's a fighting move is that it (apparently) makes the SE sound effect when it hits Litleo. Personally, I'm having a hard time hearing it, but that might just be me.

Last edited:

bolter1

Swampert Trainer
I'm not worried about Fennekin. Glow Punch's type hasn't been revealed, and even if it was Fighting, Pokemon learn moves that aren't their type all the time.

Also, didn't one of the sources that have been right before state that Fennekin would be Fire/ Psychic? And that Froakie would be Water/Fighting and Chespin would be Grass/Dark? I don't see any reason for that to not be disproven right now.

Once again, the fanbase has decided to overreact to things based on limited context.
It's the limited context that has caused the reaction. All we know is that it is a move that has punch in it's name, that's it. Since we're human, most of us will automatically go to the worst-case scenario when something is left vague and ambiguous. In this case, the worst-case scenario is that Glow Punch is a Fighting-type move and it means that Fennekin will evolve to be Fire/Fighting.It is understandable why people are so vehemently against another Fire/Fighting starter evo since three out of five have been Fire/Fighting, which is further amplified by the fact that they were consecutive generations, and if Fennekin ends up as Fire/Fighting it would make 2/3 of the Fire starters Fire/Fighting and people want something else. And, it (Fennekin ending up Fire/Psychic) is still unconfirmed so it shouldn't be taken for fact just yet. I see no reason how it is proven right now.
The only thing that's got people thinking it's a fighting move is that it (apparently) makes the SE sound effect when it hits Litleo. Personally, I'm having a hard time hearing it, but that might just be me.
I've never been able to hear a difference, so it's not just you. :)

Last edited:

Ditto24

I'm honestly far more worried about Fennekin being Bipedal than Fire/Fighting xD I'm honestly just fed up of GF thinking we can't have one quadruped :(

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
I hope so. But didn't it make the SE sound when it hit Litleo?

I'm going to be honest here; I don't know anything about this "SE sound" business. To my knowledge, super-effective hits have never made a distinctive sound before, and I can't see any reason for which they would now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.