• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Speculation/Discussion Thread

Which starter would you use?

• Chespin

Votes: 845 26.8%
  • Fennekin

Votes: 1,329 42.2%
  • Froakie

Votes: 849 27.0%
  • NONE, Dunsparce looks better

Votes: 127 4.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

bolter1

Swampert Trainer
and potentially Geomancy.
It says on the New Attacks page that Geomancy does severe damage to the opponent. It could have a status side-effect, but the fact that it does damage renders it a non-status move.

Felon

Has anybody really given Froakie's move in the trailer and it's pose when selected any thought.
When Froakie was selected it struck a very ninja-like battle pose, and if it turns out that the move in the trailer was Torment rather than Taunt does anyone agree it would be more than likely that Froakie would be Water/Dark typing?
The majority of Pokemon which learn Torment through levelling up are predominantly Dark type (even though many non-darks learn through TM's, but I don't believe they'd show a TM learned move being used in a trailer with starter Pokemon).

I could be wrong though and he might be Water/Fighting since a plethora of fighting pokemon learn Taunt.

Lykouros

Sandslash fan
I'm sorry I'm sure this has been talked about already but Fennekin learning a punching move leads my to believe he will turn bipedal which is a little disappointing

Well, Fennekin isn't bipedal but learns a punching move, so that should mean it doesn't have to evolve into something bipedal in order to keep using said punching move, right? Furthermore, look at Torchic: It obviously didn't learn any punching/fighting moves until it evolved into Combusken, who was bipedal. So maybe this new move is just a weird fire-type move and doesn't indicate it will be bipedal or fighting (if we're lucky...)

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
Really?
It happens during the point when a pokemon's sprite blinks after its hit. Pick a game, any game and fight some wild pokemon. I'll admit its not the most obvious thing but it happens after every attack that lands a hit.

Yes, really. I guess I just never picked up on the difference, which is strange because I'm usually pretty sensitive when it comes to sounds. Though this one does seem to be quite subtle, at least judging by other peoples' descriptions of it.

Well, Fennekin isn't bipedal but learns a punching move, so that should mean it doesn't have to evolve into something bipedal in order to keep using said punching move, right? Furthermore, look at Torchic: It obviously didn't learn any punching/fighting moves until it evolved into Combusken, who was bipedal. So maybe this new move is just a weird fire-type move and doesn't indicate it will be bipedal or fighting (if we're lucky...)

Inb4 Fennekin looses its forelegs and becomes like Wooper.

Aonshinzo

TheCoolestTentacool
It says on the New Attacks page that Geomancy does severe damage to the opponent. It could have a status side-effect, but the fact that it does damage renders it a non-status move.
Oh ok wow I didn't know it did damage.
So I wonder if the "scope of the century" might include the starter evolutions (it would be a first pre-release iirc) it might just be me being paranoid about what my man Froakie will turn into, also if Fennekin follows through with the rumor and becomes Fire/Psychic or dare I say the 4th Fire/fighting type.

Royal_Qeca

Pokémon Blue
Yes, really. I guess I just never picked up on the difference, which is strange because I'm usually pretty sensitive when it comes to sounds. Though this one does seem to be quite subtle, at least judging by other peoples' descriptions of it.

Anyway... According to the "SE sound" heard in the trailer this means that Fennekin's "Glow Punch" can be Fighting type, Rock type, Ground type or (err...) Water type.

I don't see it being Ground and Water type. It would be weird to call a Rock type move as "GLOW punch" (but the other types don't seems reasonable too) so I guess IMO the only logical one is it being indeed Fighting type.

Aurath8

Yeah, this is kinda has to happen. If you look at, for example Fire Punch, all those who learn it are either bipedal or somewhere in the middle like Furret or Darmanitan.

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
Anyway... According to the "SE sound" heard in the trailer this means that Fennekin's "Glow Punch" can be Fighting type, Rock type, Ground type or (err...) Water type.

Or Fairy-type, since we don't know what all it hits for super-effective damage.

mtqc

MY BEANS!
Has anyone thought that this could be one of the dual typed moves that've been rumored? A fairy type move that deals fighting damage or something like that?

Royal_Qeca

Pokémon Blue
Or Fairy-type, since we don't know what all it hits for super-effective damage.

We still don't know about it but it's an obvious possibility... So I only put the 100% confirmed and I avoided it because of the rumour that so far has everything right.

To me "Glow" seems to be related to the Fairy type, though.

ebevan91

If Fennekin is indeed Fire/Psychic, we have a whole new trend of Fire/Psychic starters awaiting us in the future. I'll take a Fire/Fighting as well.

"Come on GF enough Fire/Psychic!!!!!!111shift+1!!!!!"

But as long as they don't do it for more than maybe 2 generations in a row I'll be OK.

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
We still don't know about it but it's an obvious possibility... So I only put the 100% confirmed and I avoided it because of the rumour that so far has everything right.

That's true, and the rumor does state that Fire-types resist Fairy-type attacks, so assuming that it is correct in that statement, then a Fairy-type attack would do, at most, neutral damage to Litleo (which is also assuming that the leak doesn't mention a super-effectiveness against Normal-types).

Has anyone thought that this could be one of the dual typed moves that've been rumored? A fairy type move that deals fighting damage or something like that?

I think that this is the most likely possibility, if one accepts the rumor as fact.

Supremacy

Shiny Hunter
That's true, and the rumor does state that Fire-types resist Fairy-type attacks, so assuming that it is correct in that statement, then a Fairy-type attack would do, at most, neutral damage to Litleo (which is also assuming that the leak doesn't mention a super-effectiveness against Normal-types).

In the 4th trailer, when Flabebe uses Fairy Wind on Litleo you can hear the NVE sound. So I think Fire resisting Fairy may happen. Also, in the 5th trailer, there is a NVE sound when Swirlix uses Draining Kiss on Skrelp. So I think either Poison or Water (or both) resist Fairy also.

Krake

Flabebe's Kids
It's the limited context that has caused the reaction. All we know is that it is a move that has punch in it's name, that's it. Since we're human, most of us will automatically go to the worst-case scenario when something is left vague and ambiguous. In this case, the worst-case scenario is that Glow Punch is a Fighting-type move and it means that Fennekin will evolve to be Fire/Fighting.It is understandable why people are so vehemently against another Fire/Fighting starter evo since three out of five have been Fire/Fighting, which is further amplified by the fact that they were consecutive generations, and if Fennekin ends up as Fire/Fighting it would make 2/3 of the Fire starters Fire/Fighting and people want something else. And, it (Fennekin ending up Fire/Psychic) is still unconfirmed so it shouldn't be taken for fact just yet. I see no reason how it is proven right now.

But it hasn't been proven at all that it will evolve to become Fire/Fighting. I understand why people would be concerned, but if one set of rumors has said that it wasn't going to be that type, and at the same time, other parts of that rumor have been confirmed, then I am inclined to believe that Fennekin will be Fire/Psychic (unless it's proven wrong). Even without the rumors, I don't think that they would make yet another part-fighting starter 4 generations in a row (and if they do, they would be really pulling out of their ass just to make it that type).

Takaru

Werk, Werk, Werk
Anyone possibly think that Glow Punch may be one of the duel typed moves that we've been hearing about? The word Glow makes it sound something elemental besides a move like Mach Punch of Dynamic Punch per say.

Also, if you notice, Fennekin is charging energy and then attacks with the punch. Normally, punching moves typically just strike.

jbbtkPO1THemqk.png

DCFan

The Flame Jacobite

That could be rather intresting..i want to see how Duel Type Attack work...

MidnightFennekin

Unwashed skank
Fennekin Learning Psychic;

OMG! I KNEW IT WAS FIRE/PSYCHIC! IT CAN'T BE ANYTHING ELSE, DESPITE PSYCHIC BEING A HIGHLY DISTRIBUTED MOVE, ALL OF OUR PAST FOXES LEARN A PSYCHIC-TYPE MOVE, IT MIGHT BE BY TM/EGG MOVE, LIKE VULPIX AND ZORUA LEARN EXTRASENSORY AND THE FACT GF COULD JUST'VE THROWN IT IN FOR GOOD MEASURE. YOU SPECULATE FENNEKIN ISN'T FIRE/PSYCHIC? GO DIE IN A HOLE!!!

Fennekin Learning Glow Punch

OMG!!! GLOW PUNCH IS SUPER LIKELY TO BE FIGHTING-TYPE! BUT FENNEKIN CAN'T BE FIRE/FIGHTING, BECAUSE I AM SICK OF THEM, EVEN THOUGH GF DOESN'T GIVE TWO SH*TS ABOUT MY OPINION! AND I'M NOT SICK OF THE FACT IT LEARNS A PSYCHIC-TYPE MOVE LIKE ALL THE OTHER FOXES!!! AND IT CAN'T BE FIGHTING-TYPE BECAUSE FIGHTING-TYPE MOVES ARE WIDE SPREAD! EVEN THOUGH FENNEKIN SEEMS TO LEARN IT AT AN EARLY LEVEL AS IT SEEMS A BIT TOO EARLY-ISH FOR BREEDING AND TMS! AND I USE THE LOGIC SINCE FENNEKIN LEARNS PSYCHIC = PSYCHIC-TYPE, I DENY FIRE/FIGHTING! YOU THINK FENNEKIN IS FIRE/FIGHTING? GO DIE IN A HOLE!!!

This is how ridiculous you guys sound -_-

Seriously, Wooper and Gastly learn Punch Moves, and they have no hands, and DON'T evolve into a Fighting-Type. LOGIC, guys, LOGIC.

What's so bad about a Fire/Fighting? It's a great typing, gets rid of an SR weakness, hits tons of crap SE, all our Fire/Fighting starters had amazing movepools, and Blaziken and Infernape are amazing.

Anyway, I think that even if it is Fire/Fighting, it'll be special.

Fennekin Learning Psychic;

Fennekin Learning Glow Punch

This is how ridiculous you guys sound -_-

Seriously, Wooper and Gastly learn Punch Moves, and they have no hands, and DON'T evolve into a Fighting-Type. LOGIC, guys, LOGIC.

What's so bad about a Fire/Fighting? It's a great typing, gets rid of an SR weakness, hits tons of crap SE, all our Fire/Fighting starters had amazing movepools, and Blaziken and Infernape are amazing.

Anyway, I think that even if it is Fire/Fighting, it'll be special.
No one is saying that Fire/Fighting is a bad typing. It is great offensively and both Blaziken and Infernape are top tier Pokemon(Emboar is a little behind)
The thing is just that we had three of them in a row now, and it would be nice with a little diversity, even if the typing is competitively worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.