• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Speculation/Discussion Thread

Which starter would you use?

• Chespin

Votes: 845 26.8%
  • Fennekin

Votes: 1,329 42.2%
  • Froakie

Votes: 849 27.0%
  • NONE, Dunsparce looks better

Votes: 127 4.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pepsi_Plunge

Dojyaaa~~aan
I don't mind bulky Pokémon like Quilladin, especially since I finally know the route it may be going. Honestly I am digging the concepts for the starters, Chespin possibly becoming a knight with chestnut features, a fox-witch and a ninja/thief frog.

Yeah I'm loving the concepts also, I though Quiladin was odd becaue I wasn't expecting it but I never hated the thing, kind alooks cute :D, still going with Froakie>Fennekin>Chespin

Last edited:

Spirit Kitsune

I'm a bit confused about what you mean about Servine, I felt that evolution path was more transitionary aside from a couple features maybe, at least it wasn't as jumpy as Samurott (though I love that evolution, I don't care what anyone says about him XD).

I always though Snivy's line evolution was clever personally. It also seems like that might be similar to what their doing with Froakie since it seems to have the less drastic change of the starters.

john90

I always though Snivy's line evolution was clever personally. It also seems like that might be similar to what their doing with Froakie since it seems to have the less drastic change of the starters.
Yeah, I also think the starters evo remembers those from past gen:
Froakie - Snivy (not great change, frog remains frog, snake remains snake)
Chespin - Tepig (they go bulky and bulky)
Fennekin - Oshawott (they become something different, witch on two legs and sea lion samurai, with sea shell and stick to use in battle)
[/url]

Last edited:

Josef Stylin

I want to dye
I don't like Pignite/Emboar because of the fact that I tried it out and it turned to be pretty crappy. Although the fire/fighting thing does kinda annoy me.

Even though I like Samurott, I think compared to the other gens, gen 5 was overall the weakest in the starter department. Hopefully, gen 6's starters'll be good.

R000

I'm really hoping Chespin gets something fantastic to make up for Quidallin… These second evos look awful, except for maybe Fennekin's. My knly problem is it's too girly to be a starter. Fennekin is my new choice now. I'm sorry Quidallin ruined you, Chespin.

Dorked

I don't know if this has come up, but if you go off of the initial types mentioned by the leaker, I noticed something interesting...

Water/Dark:

- Bug
- Fighting
- Electric
- Glass
- Fairy

Five weaknesses.

Fire/Psychic:

- Water
- Ground
- Rock
- Dark
- Ghost

Five weaknesses.

Grass/Fighting:

- Fire
- Poison
- Ice
- Psychic
- Flying (4x)
- Fairy

Each of these combos has exactly five weaknesses. If it turns out to be true, that's an interesting decision on GF's part.

EDIT: I lied. Chespin ends up with a fairy weakness, too, so it's not quite exact.

Last edited:

BurningWhiteKyurem

I don't know if this has come up, but if you go off of the initial types mentioned by the leaker, I noticed something interesting...

Water/Dark:

- Bug
- Fighting
- Electric
- Glass
- Fairy

Five weaknesses.

Fire/Psychic:

- Water
- Ground
- Rock
- Dark
- Ghost

Five weaknesses.

Grass/Fighting:

- Fire
- Poison
- Ice
- Psychic
- Flying (4x)

Each of these combos has exactly five weaknesses. If it turns out to be true, that's an interesting decision on GF's part.

You forgot Fairy for Grass/Fighting. So really it's 6 weaknesses.

Dorked

Ah, yeah. My bad! I guess Chespin ends up with the short stick in both scenarios. And just for fun, I looked to Grass/Steel and you got...

- Fighting weakness
- 4x fire weakness...

And a ton of resistances. If you take away dark and ghost you still have...

- Dragon, Electric, Normal, Psychic, Rock, Steel, Water, Fairy

It'd be great defensive typing fitting for a knight, but I have to wonder if Game Freak would really give a starter so many advantages over the others.

john90

Ah, yeah. My bad! I guess Chespin ends up with the short stick in both scenarios. And just for fun, I looked to Grass/Steel and you got...

- Fighting weakness
- 4x fire weakness...

And a ton of resistances. If you take away dark and ghost you still have...

- Dragon, Electric, Normal, Psychic, Rock, Steel, Water, Fairy

It'd be great defensive typing fitting for a knight, but I have to wonder if Game Freak would really give a starter so many advantages over the others.

If Froakie becomes water/fighting it will have 7 resistences and while being a speedy attacker

Ditto24

It's still a weakness (Fighting weak to Fairy). I don't know why you wouldn't count that unless I'm misunderstanding you.

He just meant it's still out of balance seen as Chespin would have a 4x weakness while the other wouldn't and Froakie would have an immunity whilst the others wouldn't :)

john90

It's still a weakness (Fighting weak to Fairy). I don't know why you wouldn't count that unless I'm misunderstanding you.

I count it. Just wanted to underline that a x4 is not like a normal weakness. Also if all 3 had 5 weaknesses chespin would be disadvantaged anyway having a x4

Spirit Kitsune

I'd be very happy if Fennekin became like that, but I'm not getting my hopes up. If I do I'll just get upset when its not what I wanted.

You know I just realized something. I would love Fennekin to have stayed on all fours, but now that I've seen Braixen I'd rather it stay bipedal instead of doing another weird change.

Anyway the more I think about it the more I think the current Pokebeach rumor predictions may not be right on the starters. I think it may of gotten it right the first time. Grass/Fighting, Water/Dark. Hoping Fennekin gets part fairy though.

R000

THESE. The only one I don't really like is Froakie, but I guess that's the direction GF is going for Froakie, so it's most plausible. But OH. MY. GOD. THE OTHER TWO LOOK FREAKIN FABULOUS I NEED THOSE IN MY LIFE.

BurningWhiteKyurem

He just meant it's still out of balance seen as Chespin would have a 4x weakness while the other wouldn't and Froakie would have an immunity whilst the others wouldn't :)

I count it. Just wanted to underline that a x4 is not like a normal weakness. Also if all 3 had 5 weaknesses chespin would be disadvantaged anyway having a x4

Ah, I see. I misunderstood your quote. That's the problem with being a grass-type, there are a lot of weaknesses that can be augmented by having another type, while Water and Fire are a bit better off defensively. =/

Dorked

Hmm, good point there, re: water/fighting resistances. I went ahead and looked at resistances for these typings and...

Fire/Psychic:

- Fighting, Fire, Ice, Grass, Psychic, Steel, Fairy

Seven resistances. Not too bad.

Water/Dark:

- Dark, Fire, Ghost, Ice, Steel, Water
- Psychic immunity

Six resists and an immunity. Also not bad.

Grass/Fight:

- Dark, Electric, Grass, Ground, Rock, Water

Also six resists.

And for the alternate leak typings...

Grass/Dark:

- Dark, Electric, Ghost, Dark, Ground, Water

Six resists, but when you consider its weaknesses...

Water/Fight:

- Bug, Dark, Fire, Ice, Rock, Steel, Water

Seven resists.

So they're all pretty close with a fair number of resistances, but the Grass/Dark typing is probably the worst defensive choice due to the seven weaknesses, including a 4x. Keep in mind, this is a bit rough-- I did comparisons with Pokémon of similar typings while trying to factor fairy in for Fennekin.

Jabberjaw

I'm feeling stuck between my initial choice Chespin and Froakie. I want to play through my first game without knowing the starters final evolutions so I'll be surprised. As a reference, I usually always go with the fire or water starters. I have been against choosing Fenniken since the reveal(not a big fan, good design though), Froakie was my number 2, and I was dead-set on using Chespin.

But after seeing Frogadier and really liking its sleek and cool design, I am unsure of myself. In any case, I think Chespin's final evolution will be the biggest surprise of the three.

Status
Not open for further replies.