• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Speculation/Discussion Thread

Which starter would you use?

• Chespin

Votes: 845 26.8%
  • Fennekin

Votes: 1,329 42.2%
  • Froakie

Votes: 849 27.0%
  • NONE, Dunsparce looks better

Votes: 127 4.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

golduck#1

I'd say-

Froakie: High Speed, Good Attack/Special Attack
Chespin: High Defense and Attack, Good HP
Fennekin: High Special Attack/Special Defense, Good Speed

Probably the way to go I reckon. Froakie I reckon would be better as a mixed attacker than rather a full on attacker. Fennekin looks like he would benefit with both specials being high as well.

SageofTruth

Greninja Assassin
Froakie - High Speed & Attack
Chespin - High HP & Def
Fennekin - High Sp Attk & Sp Def

This makes the most sense.

The Knight class usually has decent attack and high defenses(Bulk up is a given, probably even harden early on, Sword dance is a must as well.

the rogue has High speed and attack while lacking in defenses and magical attacks(With this I see froakie with A higher physical attack than special attack to go along with that speed. If he is dark type , I foresee the inclusion of some High power physical dark moves because I don't see it getting crunch.)

The mage has High magical attacks and magic defense while being frail on the opposite spectrum(It usually has buffing spells in that regard. I foresee barrier, reflect, calm mind , and even cosmic power in Fen's future )

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
Eh, this is what I see it be.

Chespin: normal-high HP, high Defense, high Attack, low Sp. Attack, low Sp. Defense, low Speed
(The fighter/knight class generally has high Attak, Defense, and durability, but low speed and resistance to magical attributes)
Fennekin: low HP, very low Defense, very low Attack, very high Sp. Attack, very high Sp. Defense, normal-high Speed
(The mage class generally has very high magical abilities and ok speed, while suffering greatly in durability, strength, and defense)
Froakie: low HP, low Defense, very high Attack, low Sp. Attack, low Sp. Defense, very high Speed.
(The rogue/assassin/thief class generall is very frail, and having little magical properties, but very agile and physical strength)

Eh, what I see them become based on classes.

SageofTruth

Greninja Assassin

Chespin: normal-high HP, high Defense, high Attack, low Sp. Attack, low Sp. Defense, low Speed
(The fighter/knight class generally has high Attak, Defense, and durability, but low speed and resistance to magical attributes)
Fennekin: low HP, very low Defense, very low Attack, very high Sp. Attack, very high Sp. Defense, normal-high Speed
(The mage class generally has very high magical abilities and ok speed, while suffering greatly in durability, strength, and defense)
Froakie: low HP, low Defense, very high Attack, low Sp. Attack, low Sp. Defense, very high Speed.
(The rogue/assassin/thief class generall is very frail, and having little magical properties, but very agile and physical strength)

I agree with everything you said here.

Choosing your starter would be a lot choosing a class at the beginning of the game.

Shraeder

It's Lit
I don't know about this whole "class" idea. Doesn't seem like it would fit that well. I think, if anything the "classes" are more for design rather than stats and moves. From what I've seen in the anime/revealed, it seems like Froakie would be mixed, rather than having two good physical attackers. Each gen there's a mixed attacker, and I'm 99% sure Froakie is the one.

SageofTruth

Greninja Assassin
I don't know about this whole "class" idea. Doesn't seem like it would fit that well. I think, if anything the "classes" are more for design rather than stats and moves. From what I've seen in the anime/revealed, it seems like Froakie would be mixed, rather than having two good physical attackers. Each gen there's a mixed attacker, and I'm 99% sure Froakie is the one.

I don 't know if the anime is the best citation for your theory. The anime has Pikachu pwning suckas with iron tail lol.

I do agree froakie will be mixed but I think it will favor attack over special attack like Blaziken but just not having as high of a number in each stat.

HoagiethePokeBreeder

Poke’veteran
Weeell, here's my two cents!

My final official predictions for the starters and their typings and stats: Take'em or Leave'em!

Chespin's Final Evolution: This Generation's Tanky Attacker
-Nickname: Lebanon
-Grass/Rock
-100/108/116/64/76/70 = 534 Total
-Very High Attack and Defense
-High HP
-Moderately Low Speed and Special Defense
-Very Low Special Attack

Fennekin's Final Evolution: This Generation's Special Sweeper
-Nickname: Tamara
-Fire/Psychic
-75/68/68/117/95/111 = 534
-Very High Special Attack
-High Special Defense, Speed
-Moderate HP
-Low Attack, Defense

Froakie's Final Evolution: This Generation's Mixed Attacker
-Nickname: DontCroak
-Water/Dark
-79/106/72/89/75/113 = 534
-Very High Speed
-High Attack
-Moderately High Special Attack
-Moderate to Low HP, Defense, Special Defense

Hope you enjoyed! Thanks and God Bless =]

Shraeder

It's Lit
^^111 is a bit fast if Froakie's supposed to have the highest speed. For Fennekin I'd say 85-95 Speed is reasonable.

I'm gonna edit in stats to my previous post.
Edit: added the stats.

Last edited:

Aonshinzo

TheCoolestTentacool
^^111 is a bit fast if Froakie's supposed to have the highest speed. For Fennekin I'd say 85-95 Speed is reasonable.

I'm gonna edit in stats to my previous post.

This. I don't see Fennekin going above 95 base speed honestly.

crobatman

Did you realize that the Kanto starters will be early in the game too?

"One of the few early story tweaks is that you now receive your first Pokémon via a group of friends. (Your choices are tough-shelled grass choice Chespin, vulpine fire beastie Fennekin and the frog-like water option, Froakie). Your pals accompany you through the game's initial locations, and you don't meet the game's Pokémon professor, Augustine Sycamore, until after the first gym. It's at this point you'll receive your Kanto starter, one of Bulbasaur, Charmander and Squirtle. You'll also get to battle the professor, too, Masuda hinted." http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...tive-how-pokemon-x-and-y-refreshes-the-series

Shraeder

It's Lit
^Kinda late there pal. We've known about Kanto starters for a few weeks now.

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
Blah, because boredom here's more of my two cents regarding starters. You guys must be rich by now.

Braixen evo
Fire/Psychic (or possibly Fairy)
Ability: Blaze (Magic Guard)
HP: 70
Attack: 60
Defense: 60
Sp. Attack: 125
Sp. Defense: 130
Speed: 95
BST: 545

Quilladin evo
Grass/Steel (or possibly Fighting)
Ability: Overgrow (Solid Rock)
HP: 105
Attack: 120
Defense: 120
Sp. Attack: 65
Sp. Defense: 65
Speed: 70

Frogadier evo
Water/Dark (or possibly Fighting)
Ability: Torrent (Pickpocket)
HP: 80
Attack: 125
Defense: 70
Sp. Attack: 70
Sp. Defense: 70
Speed: 130

:p

msiew10

It should be mediocre special attack and high attack for frogadier.

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
It should be mediocre special attack and high attack for frogadier.

IMO, it shouldn't as the Rogue/Thief/Assassin class rarely, if ever, has good magical proficiency, ahich I reflected in the stats, where the Special Stats are Magical, whereas the Physical stats, are, well, Physical.

crobatman

I knew the kanto starters were in it, but just not that early in the game. Serebii, should have posted that on the site.

I am picking Froakie to begin with, and then Squirtle or Charmander. I have a fondness for the herpetological pokemon.

Last edited:

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
IMO, it shouldn't as the Rogue/Thief/Assassin class rarely, if ever, has good magical proficiency, ahich I reflected in the stats, where the Special Stats are Magical, whereas the Physical stats, are, well, Physical.

Depends, they're usually better then the warriors but don't hold a candle to the mages. For instance, Shadow (FF6) had a decent magic stat.

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
I knew the kanto starters were in it, but just not that early in the game. Serebii, should have posted that on the site.

I'm pretty sure he did, and if not, it's been circulating through the Forums the last few weeks now that they were available as soon as you got to Lmiose.

Depends, they're usually better then the warriors but don't hold a candle to the mages. For instance, Shadow (FF6) had a decent magic stat.

Eh, K.

I probably wouldn't know that as all things I've participated in with these sorts of classes has the Rogue/Thief/Assassin with little to no magical prowess.

crobatman

Anyone think these starters will stay Grass/Fire/Water? I think it could be possible. Maybe Fennekin gains a type at the end, but I think we see a repeat of Johto starters with this.

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
Anyone think these starters will stay Grass/Fire/Water? I think it could be possible. Maybe Fennekin gains a type at the end, but I think we see a repeat of Johto starters with this.

Well, it's always possible, but I'd prefer to think ey get the Types I want them to get (Psychic/Fairy, Steel/Fighting, Dark/Fighting).

Huh, I just noticed if they get Fairy/Steel/Fighting they will get an incomplete version of a Type Triangle.

Status
Not open for further replies.