• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Speculation/Discussion Thread

Which starter would you use?

• Chespin

Votes: 845 26.8%
  • Fennekin

Votes: 1,329 42.2%
  • Froakie

Votes: 849 27.0%
  • NONE, Dunsparce looks better

Votes: 127 4.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

_Sylveon_

Indigo Champion
I'm so scattered :p

Gen 1: I really didn't like them tbh... but I picked Charmander.
Gen 2: Totodile. Duh it is flibbering cute.
Gen 3: Duh, Mudkipz.
Gen 4: Turtwig oops so forgotten.
Gen 5: Oshawott. Samurott was cool and you know it.
Gen 6: Well... I was Chespin on day one, but I grew to like Froakie a lot more. I am not one of those losers who left Chespin for Quallidin >.>

Lienn

I never really got starter dilemma in any pkmn game other than gen I. Gen I was always squirtle or bulbasaur (depending of the mood by the time i started), but often bulbasaur ended as the chosen one...gen IV was turtwig because the other 2 never appealed me and all the others were fire w/o thinking twice. Got disappointed with some (when i first saw blaziken i thought "WTF! It evolved into John Travolta! /saturdaynightfeverfacepalm"...and boxed pignite a bit after it evolved...never even evolved it to emboar) but would never want it to be different.

This gen, however, is just like happened with turtwig...froakie and chespin didn't appeal me at all and fennekin was awesome. There was no doubt for me...and seeing braixen and her buttstick made it even easier.

Tyrannotaur

Tyranitar Trainer
I tend to pick the more "reptilian" starters. Probably because I was a dinosaur fanatic as a kid.

Kanto- Charmander is my favorite. Bulbasaur and Squirtle are close seconds.
Johto- Totodile always. Cyndaquil is my second choice and then Chikorita.
Hoenn- Treecko is my choice almost always, but I really like Blaziken too. I'm not a big Mudkip fan.
Sinnoh- Turtwig is my favorite. Piplup would be second and then Chimchar.
Unova- Tepig is my favorite oddly enough. Snivy isn't bad though. Oshawott disappoints me.

For Kalos I am leaning toward Fennekin. I plan to use him in Y. Chespin doesn't interest me much. Froakie would be my second choice and who I'm going for in X.

My main concern for X and Y is the Kanto starters. The 3D graphics, pokemon aimee, and mega evolutions all make me want to use Charmander first. I want to use Fennekin first in Y, which will be my main game. Two fire pokemon doesn't really work well for me. Even though I'll probably end up doing it then maybe Box Charmander or something.

As much as I love the fact we are getting Kanto starters too, it takes away from wanting to use newer pokemon. Which for Y at least I want to initially have a team of new Pokemon, then after I try stuff out go back to older stuff.

Underachiever007

I've almost always gone with the Fire starters. They seem to get the best designs. The only exception is Gen V, in which I picked Snivy first. I play each game multiple times though, so I end up using all the starters. Don't really dislike any of them.

BurningWhiteKyurem

As much as I love the fact we are getting Kanto starters too, it takes away from wanting to use newer pokemon. Which for Y at least I want to initially have a team of new Pokemon, then after I try stuff out go back to older stuff.

No it doesn't. You make it sound as if they do not give you a choice when they offer you the chance to have a Kanto Pokemon. The fact of the matter is that you do have a choice: you can choose to either use it in your journey OR choose to box it because you're interested in seeing Kalos' Pokemon. Ergo, it doesn't take away any attention from Kalos' Pokemon since we have a choice. If it was forced, then you'd have a point

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
No it doesn't. You make it sound as if they do not give you a choice when they offer you the chance to have a Kanto Pokemon. The fact of the matter is that you do have a choice: you can choose to either use it in your journey OR choose to box it because you're interested in seeing Kalos' Pokemon. Ergo, it doesn't take away any attention from Kalos' Pokemon since we have a choice. If it was forced, then you'd have a point

There is a bit of a problem though in how they're treated. The Kanto starters have gotten focus and a new toy in Mega Evolution, which may possibly be available within the main game. There's definitely an imbalance in that considering that no other Kalos Pokémon (including the starters) will have that tool available to them.

R_N

There is a bit of a problem though in how they're treated. The Kanto starters have gotten focus and a new toy in Mega Evolution, which may possibly be available within the main game. There's definitely an imbalance in that considering that no other Kalos Pokémon (including the starters) will have that tool available to them.

Yes but Mega Evolution is not the only thing available in the game. It will not be the only thing you use in the game.

The Kalos pokemon shtick is that they are all new Pokemon for you to use.

Pepsi_Plunge

Dojyaaa~~aan
I still doubt Kalos pokemon aren't getting megas, like I said a few days ago I think that got lost rin translation and if it didn't they are probably just letting us get to know them and will add them later, atleast to the starters.

Shraeder

It's Lit
I still doubt Kalos pokemon aren't getting megas, like I said a few days ago I think that got lost rin translation and if it didn't they are probably just letting us get to know them and will add them later, atleast to the starters.

They'll probably add Kalos Megas in Gen 7 or wishfully in Gen 6 remake(possible "Z")

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
Yes but Mega Evolution is not the only thing available in the game. It will not be the only thing you use in the game.

The Kalos pokemon shtick is that they are all new Pokemon for you to use.

True, and I'm not doubting that, but the Kanto Starters still do have something in their corner that no other Kalos Pokémon will have and depending on things, that may be the tipping of the scale for some of these Pokémon.

Erron Black

The Outlaw
Giving only one of the three starters a Mega form would be a terrible move, in my opinion.
Sure, you give the most popular a Mega, and (most) fans will like it.

What happens to the other two fan-bases?

If that happens with Blaziken, I am admittedly going to be annoyed.

Me to Sceptile is Amazing and so is Swampert leaving them out is kinda like... Pokémon without Pikachu. Soon Sceptile and Swampert would be forgotten, and Blaziken would get all the Attention cause he has a Mega Evolution. (As I can tell by your Sig,) you must love Sceptile, I to am a BIG Sceptile fan! If they do give him and Swampert Mega forms, I hope Sceptile gets Grass/Dragon.

Monek_OP

bernie2016
I can't see Grass/Dragon is Sceptile's future - maybe Grass/Fighting or Grass/Dark, (although that would lower the usage of the Seedot and Cacnea lines, they're struggling enough already!) but Grass/Dragon doesn't really fit. It's not really dragon-like at all compared to what IS Dragon currently . Although I do hope that Swampurt and Sceptile get mega evolutions, and maybe their own distribution as well.

I never understood the hype around Blaziken, and I really think that if its the only starter form generation three that gets a mega evolution, it usuage will shoot up, which it doesn't need. People have said that mega evolutions are to give a new aspect to 'underused' Pokemon, but Blaziken is definitely not underused, or unloved at all. Its the opposite!

MegaSnorlax

Me to Sceptile is Amazing and so is Swampert leaving them out is kinda like... Pokémon without Pikachu. Soon Sceptile and Swampert would be forgotten, and Blaziken would get all the Attention cause he has a Mega Evolution. (As I can tell by your Sig,) you must love Sceptile, I to am a BIG Sceptile fan! If they do give him and Swampert Mega forms, I hope Sceptile gets Grass/Dragon.

If Sceptile gets dragon typing, and/or chlorophyll, I'll be ecstatic. I'm still really curious about whether or not we'll see any Gen 4 starter megas, I'd love a Mega-Infernape.

MegaAbsol

I'm sure Sceptile and Swampert will get Mega forms, Torchic is just the first to be released, chances are those 2 will follow somewhere down the line in the same way. I like Sceptile too so hoping it will be next, plus I am interested to see MegaSceptile's design!

AquaPikachu

I'm sure Sceptile and Swampert will get Mega forms, Torchic is just the first to be released, chances are those 2 will follow somewhere down the line in the same way. I like Sceptile too so hoping it will be next, plus I am interested to see MegaSceptile's design!

I don't think all the starters will get Mega Forms..maybe Spectile but not Swampert in my personal opinion..

MidnightFennekin

Unwashed skank
Sceptile learns Dragonbreath through Breeding, Dragon Claw via TM, and Dragon Pulse/Outrage via Tutor. It's also in the Dragon egg group.

If Ampharos qualifies as a Dragon, I'm sure as hell that Sceptile can.

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
I don't think all the starters will get Mega Forms..maybe Spectile but not Swampert in my personal opinion..

What.

If 2/3 of a trio qualifies for something, then why shouldn't the last get it too?
Sceptile learns Dragonbreath through Breeding, Dragon Claw via TM, and Dragon Pulse/Outrage via Tutor. It's also in the Dragon egg group. If Ampharos qualifies as a Dragon, I'm sure as hell that Sceptile can.

Yeah, I guess.

Ew, I just came up with horrible names.

Frogue, Palarmarron, and Flaumage <_<

Last edited:

Vixen1988

Fennekin all the way
Sceptile learns Dragonbreath through Breeding, Dragon Claw via TM, and Dragon Pulse/Outrage via Tutor. It's also in the Dragon egg group.

If Ampharos qualifies as a Dragon, I'm sure as hell that Sceptile can.

I agree, I think sceptile is very dragon-like and if it gets a second typing through mega evolution I expect it to be dragon.

MastersOfMonsters

~Yaoi FanBoy~
Would also love for Feraligatr to become Dragon in it's Mega. ^^ But I doubt it.

WNDR

I never understand everybodies want for starters to become part dragon with or without mege evos but maybe that's just me.

Status
Not open for further replies.