• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Speculation/Discussion Thread

Which starter would you use?

• Chespin

Votes: 845 26.8%
  • Fennekin

Votes: 1,329 42.2%
  • Froakie

Votes: 849 27.0%
  • NONE, Dunsparce looks better

Votes: 127 4.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SageofTruth

Greninja Assassin
Actuallt guys in an interview Masuda said that he didn't want the Kanto starters to get a ME and that after seeing the designs he decided to use them. So what makes you think there will be ME for the other starters? Imo there aren't any more. The kanto starters have one cause Sycamore let us pick one of them and Blaziken has one just because of the anime..

I personally think Mega Evolutiona are " If we designed these guys today, here is what they would look like". Garchomp to Mega Garchomp isn't as dramatic as Blastoise -> Megatoise or Charizard to MegaZard. It looks like they had a chance to go back and redesign the starters without having to redesign them permanently and get possible backlash.

Shraeder

It's Lit
Actuallt guys in an interview Masuda said that he didn't want the Kanto starters to get a ME and that after seeing the designs he decided to use them. So what makes you think there will be ME for the other starters? Imo there aren't any more. The kanto starters have one cause Sycamore let us pick one of them and Blaziken has one just because of the anime..

I only expect Sceptile and Swampert to get one because it would seem like they are just left out if only Blaziken had a ME.

WNDR

I would of said mega blaziken is in the anime because it showcases mega evolution not, it receives a mega evo because blaziken was due to be in the anime.
I would find it quite reasonable for a couple more events for mega pokes of sceptics and swampert once the torchic distribution ends. So we aren't over whelmed with megas straight out of the bat.

Also are you sure he said he didn't want the originals to have mega evolutions, as apposed to didn't intend to have the professor giving out gen1 starters until he saw the designs?

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
I kinda feel like Mega Evos are meant to be over-the-top, sort of like a "limit break" of sorts; the designs emphasize that this is more than a natural progression of the Pokemon, hence why it's a Mega Evolution rather than a regular one, and why it can't be maintained outside of battle and why it requires a special stone. To that end, there's no reason that newer 'mons shouldn't be able to have them; while the modern designs may be a tad more than the older ones, they're not over-the-top in the same way Mega Evos are.

Feel free to disagree, though.

MegaSnorlax

I never understand everybodies want for starters to become part dragon with or without mege evos but maybe that's just me.

I just want the Pokemon to be viable, and that typing definitely helps. Plus, Mega evolutions that add a type are just a bit more interesting to me, there's a whole other dynamic to it.

On a completely different note, I'd love for Mega-Samurott to exist, and for it to wield the sword like he does in the anime. Maybe an increased attack stack, despite his base being a bit more SpA oriented.

MidnightFennekin

Unwashed skank
I kinda feel like Mega Evos are meant to be over-the-top, sort of like a "limit break" of sorts; the designs emphasize that this is more than a natural progression of the Pokemon, hence why it's a Mega Evolution rather than a regular one, and why it can't be maintained outside of battle and why it requires a special stone.

Feel free to disagree, though.

Yay! Another one of my pearls of wisdom are recognized! :D

Getting horns and becoming the face of L'Oreal 2013 is definitely a limit breaker! :D

I have a feeling that MegaAmpharos is a direct poke at all the 'Mega Forms' which have hair changes XD

Anyway, if the Kalos Starters get mega evos in the next version in Kalos, what would you want them to look like?

I'd like Fennekin's ear hairs to combust to look like will-o'-wisps, and if it keeps the skirt from Braixen, for that to have flames on it. So it can spin around and kill stuff with arrows and enter a sick TV show where kids kill each other and stuff.

WNDR

I just want the Pokemon to be viable, and that typing definitely helps. Plus, Mega evolutions that add a type are just a bit more interesting to me, there's a whole other dynamic to it.

On a completely different note, I'd love for Mega-Samurott to exist, and for it to wield the sword like he does in the anime. Maybe an increased attack stack, despite his base being a bit more SpA oriented.

I agree I defiantly don't want any wishy-washy mega evos otherwise they wouldn't be so mega! But I think a Pokemon has sooooo many other options than just dragon whilst still being viable and interesting. Just tweeks in abilities and stats can turn a Pokemon from meh..... to Ooooohhhhhhh, Aaaaaahhhhh..... So no need add on dragon typing. Just my opinion anyways.

Yes mega samurott would be awesome with better attack and wielding his blade sword would take the design to the next level!

Rio!

Composer

Along with a possible speed increase with a drop in say, defense? ;o

If not Grass/Dragon, I'd want a Grass/Poison Mega Serperior.

Shouldn't this be discussed in the Mega Evolutions thread?

Huh...idk. Serperior is already bases off of a non-poisonous snake so it'd be kind of odd to just throw Poison on there.
Actually if it just retained grass typing that would be pretty neat. ;D

adrnsglr

Hey, guys. I'm new to the site as a member, but not as a lurker.
Anyway, I'd like to share some of my hypotheses regarding the types of the final evolutions to the Kalos starters.
I've read speculations in which Chespin's final evo may be Grass/Ground, Grass/Rock, Grass/Fighting, Grass/Dark, and even Grass/Steel. I am imagining a Grass/Rock or Grass/Dark, though I am leaning more to the latter. I am supposing this because in the very first trailer Chespin used something that looked to be something along the lines of Night Slash; I don't know if this is move is already known and listed on the page detailing the new Pokemon, but if it is, then I suppose it's not dark type, seeing as there are no Dark type moves in Chespin's line's currently known movepool. Also, though this may be a stretch, I think if Chespin's final evo were to be Dark, it would be "Scrafty" dark, not "Mightyena" dark; more of a clown Dark than straight up villain Dark. Though this is not very much in line with the Paladin, Witch, Rogue theory, I don't think it is in blatant opposition of it either.
Regarding Fennekin's line, I'm willing to place my bets on its being Fire/Psychic... I mean come on, it uses several psychic type moves, even in the earliest trailer... I guess maybe Fire/Fairy??? Either would be great by me.
Regarding Froakie's line, which I think is of course less certain than Fennekin's but more certain than Chespin's line, I am going to go with the hopeful hypothesis that it will be Water/Fighting. If not, I could imagine a Water/Dark or solely Water typing being granted unto it... I read somewhere that some are imagining Froakie to evolve into a Water/Flying type. I think that's an even further stretch than my Chespin-Clowny-Dark explanation. Though I do think it is feasible. Anyway, I would stick with Water/Fighting because we have not had one since Poliwrath (though having two frog Pokemon of the same type may go against this likelihood), and in the first trailer it looked to be quite the combat-ready fellow, using what I thought was originally some simple Fighting type move, but now is confirmed to be Quick Attack. Also its evo's name, Frogadier (Frog + Brigadier/Grenadier), suggests more a Fighting component than a Dark or Flying component. Who knows, perhaps it will be like a Water type Sceptile: agile as can be, but of mono-typing.
I am hoping for the combinations of Grass/Dark, Fire/Psychic, Water/Fighting because that means they would each have an edge over the other, and I don't know why GF hasn't acted on a clockwise-counterclockwise effect circle like this for any starters--it's a really fresh idea! I not only hope for these combinations, but I do believe these have a fair likelihood of manifesting themselves as true. I'm probably totally incorrect though, GF seems to abide by and against a set idea at the strangest of times.
Either way, I have never been this pumped for a game, and I don't think I will have enjoyed one as much as this since R/S/E (my favorite gen) way back in third or fourth grade.
Having pre-ordered X and Y, I plan to compose two teams of Froakie, Bulbasaur, Torchic, Pancham, Eevee (into Jolteon or Sylveon), Tyrunt, Fletchling, and two other Kalos Pokemon (I am going to try running a rotation team throughout the game instead of sticking to the party of only six). My team on the other game would probably be similar with the only major differences being Chespin in place of Froakie and Squirtle in place of Bulbasaur. I can't plan too much yet of course, because there are still so many more Pokemon to be disclosed! Awesome.

PS -- If any posts like this have already been covered and I am retracing old material, I apologize. I started keeping up with this forum recently and did not feel like skimming over 950 pages.

Thoughts?

Shraeder

It's Lit
^^Welcome!

I agree with you on the typings.

Just wante to let you know that Chespin's move was Aerial Ace, and that Froakie's attack is not Quick Attack, and remains unconfirmed. I speculate that it is either Acrobatics or a new Fighting move.

Mijuwott

Poppstar Sunshine
I would like to go with Acrobatics as it seems like a quick and jumping all over the place type of move. Which Froakie is already know for by most of the fans...including myself so unless they made another quick fighting type move its gotta be Acrobatics...but I think Froakie learns quick attack so you know...its possible.

miju =w=

Shraeder

It's Lit
I would like to go with Acrobatics as it seems like a quick and jumping all over the place type of move. Which Froakie is already know for by most of the fans...including myself so unless they made another quick fighting type move its gotta be Acrobatics...but I think Froakie learns quick attack so you know...its possible.

miju =w=

The animation for Quick Attack is different, as seen in the demos.

Acrobatics seems most likely to me, but all that really points to is Froakie being slim and agile.

golduck#1

I would rather Froakie be water/fighting than water/flying mainly because imagine a Froakie with close combat or high jump kick.

To the more serious point though, is anyone else hoping Fennekins line turns into a fire/fighting just because 99% of us are sure it's fire/psychic. I think it would be hilarious just to see some 12 year olds follow the crowd and make a fuss on it being too repetitive. Plus fire/fighting is actually a good combination but I do understand everyones tiredness of the same thing over and over. Still though, it would be so awesome just to see reactions.

Odious

あなたは馬鹿
The animation for Quick Attack is different, as seen in the demos.

Acrobatics seems most likely to me, but all that really points to is Froakie being slim and agile.

If you're talking about the move Froakie used where he jumped up in the air I could have sworn that was bounce

Arxeon

I only expect Sceptile and Swampert to get one because it would seem like they are just left out if only Blaziken had a ME.

I thought every starter would get one but its been confirmed Gen 6 starters won't unless Masuda lied so we would be hyped to find out they do (I dont think so though but I want them to have one seems a little unfair)

syldra_kunimi22

Dragon Lover
I think fennekin may turn out to be a fire/psychic type. chespin might possibly go part ground. as for froakie, i'm clueless. it would be interesting to see a ghost/grass type but I don't think that would suit chespin. i'm betting on fire/fairy for fennekin. my apologies if I have not gone through ALL 957 pages of this discussion but I'm new to the site and also didn't think it would've gotten this long already.

WNDR

I thought every starter would get one but its been confirmed Gen 6 starters won't unless Masuda lied so we would be hyped to find out they do (I dont think so though but I want them to have one seems a little unfair)

Just because they don't have them now doesn't mean once the games have been released we can't get DLC of new event megas which is how I hope they distribute the mega for all starters eventually.

MidnightFennekin

Unwashed skank
I'm 99.9% sure Froakie won't be Water/Fighting. If anything, it'll be Fire/Fighting! It's pretty clear that Quilladin is a Knight and Braixen is a Witch/Mage, and since we know they're all based on RPG classes, that probably leaves Frogadier as a thief. Thieves are usually portrayed as evil, like Evil-Type, which in English, is Dark-Type. Thiefis a Dark-Type move, and a handful of our Dark-Typesare known to steal things, or thieve. Pickpocket is also only given to Dark-Types. Also, its speculated, especially from the 14 leaked names (Horubii (Bunnelby), Dedenne, ????? (Meowstic, I'm way too lazy to spell its Japanese name), Teeruna (Braixen), Hariboogu (Quilladin) and Gekogashira (Frogadier) are some of the names on that list!) that Froakie/Frogadier will be ninjas. Especially with the ninja foam bubbles, swift movements and Frogadier confusing its opponents by going on the roof and stuff, and the leaked name Gekouga which most people think is Gekogashira's evo, its pretty obvious. Also, its fingerless gloves and mask help with the 'Thief-Look'.

Why would there be a Fighting-Type Thief? The two are completely opposite in morals, and usually won't cross each others boundaries without being put together. (Like the Scraggy and Pancham lines)

MastersOfMonsters

~Yaoi FanBoy~
I Think it's pretty clear taht Froakie will be Fighting, but eh. Can't wait to murder Chespin3 with my Close Combat Froakie3<3

Status
Not open for further replies.