• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Speculation/Discussion Thread

Which starter would you use?

• Chespin

Votes: 845 26.8%
  • Fennekin

Votes: 1,329 42.2%
  • Froakie

Votes: 849 27.0%
  • NONE, Dunsparce looks better

Votes: 127 4.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PokeAJ

delphox.JPG

I took this screencap from the PR vid of when it smiles to show what I'm talking about. It's a similar look to Fennekin/Braixen's expressions.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
So then if you didn't want a Ninetales clone and you didn't want the witch/mage, what did you want?

A Typhlosion-esque evolution would've been nice. Something bipedal, fierce, and in this case - vulpine. Not something triangular and bulky like Delphox.

dbApplejack

Whitney's Protege
Exactly. Delphox looks too triangular. I don't even want to see it in battle because it would look so awkward. Ugh, why did Gamefreak do this to me and the other devoted Fennekin fans? I'm crying at how bad Delphox turned out. It's just a sad day for those of us who gave Fennekin a chance.

I humbly disagree with you. I think this is an excellent design, especially it's more human-like stance showcasing how intellectual it has become. It's wizard robe indicating its new found psychic powers. The ear fluff that everyone knows and loves.

I know you don't like it, but to say so brazenly that this is a sad day for those that gave fenneken a chance assumes everyone who was a fenneken fan hates the design.

Pamizard

Queen of Charizards!
Im sure the most of you who dont like delphox will warm up to it. Unless this entire time its not real (which is highly unlikely)

I like her, she's glorious. Now i need to think of a nickname.

But wait, dont we still have the instagram leaker who started with fennekin?

Tyranitar trainer

Back for a bit
Delphox looks awesome

storm12

Weather Bearer
A Typhlosion-esque evolution would've been nice. Something bipedal, fierce, and in this case - vulpine. Not something triangular and bulky like Delphox.

It does look rather ungainly to me :S too much robe/skirt- I think it looks far too human... kinda creepily so- but its face looks so immature in comparison, like I said before, like someone enlarged Fennekin's ear hair and stuck it's head on something that look really too anthropomorphic for pokemon, to me, the hands and stuff :S creeps me out...

I should have resisted and not come back online :( but now I want to see Chespin's evo leak to see how bad the damage is... now I am REALLY worried for it tbh.. I might go starter-less...

PokeAJ

I'm holding out hope Delphox keeps the stick under the robe and only pulls it out when it needs to use it. If it does that then I will officially love the design.

Cryokinesis

I've been a Fennekin fan from the start and am exceedingly pleased with Delphox. It's exactly how I imagined it would look since we heard it would be based on a mage.

storm12

Weather Bearer
Im sure the most of you who dont like delphox will warm up to it. Unless this entire time its not real (which is highly unlikely)

I like her, she's glorious. Now i need to think of a nickname.

But wait, dont we still have the instagram leaker who started with fennekin?

horrible pun ;)

I think it looks very sterile, personality less- too frumpy for a pokemon :S

the obvious name choice is Pythia or if it's a male, Tyresius :S

Eeveemaster

Amemoth Fan :D
Here's a big chance for Quilladin to lose some pounds upon evolution!!!

Come on leakers leak Froakie and Quilladin's!

PokeAJ

Just pointing out that Blaziken looks awfully humanoid as well for a pokemon, so it's not like they've never done this with a starter line.

Mijuwott

Poppstar Sunshine
Tbh, I yearn for something Ninetales-like now that I've seen Delphox. I was against it from the start because I didn't want a Ninetales clone, but man, Delphox sure has changed my perspective and life and Pokemon. Delphox is like Ninetales' spinster sister and it pains me to think about all the time I spent predicting what Fennekin's final form would look like. All the witch-on-a-broomstick theories sound a lot more interesting to me now even though I hated most of them at first.

Its been awhile since I've seen someone explain why they have such an immense hate for a single pokemon. I think you should probably go put Fennekin in the box and just use Charizard X/Y save yourself the heartache.

miju .-.

Smeargle1987

Reckless Trainer
View attachment 10499

I took this screencap from the PR vid of when it smiles to show what I'm talking about. It's a similar look to Fennekin/Braixen's expressions.

That smile is the creepiest thing EVER-Looks like the annoying orange,had a real mouth super imposed on it

jonnyc

it's a frog, it's a ninja, it's blue
Frogadier was never a ninja to me, I thought it was more related to a rogue. Turtwig's line was green, a turtle, and quadripedal, but it's main characteristic was it's shell. Froakie's main characteristic is it's bubbles. Fennekin's was it's ear fur. Chespin's is it's shell.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Here's a big chance for Quilladin to lose some pounds upon evolution!!!

Come on leakers leak Froakie and Quilladin's!

I sincerely hope that Quilladin's evolved form is better than Braixen's at this point. I'm not even a huge Quilladin fan but at least there's a chance that its design will look good. And Greninja is fake then? Too bad, I thought it was real and I was planning on getting Froakie as my main Starter now.

Kalliper

Now that Delphox has pretty much been confirmed, I'd like to make an observation regarding its design and its divided fan base.

I honestly think that the reason the fanbase is so divided is because people who saw Fennekin so many months ago saw an adorable little fox, in the same vein as Vulpix. Many people (not all) chose Fennekin as their starter because of the three it was considered the "cute" one, the "feminine" one. They would even use "she" when referring to it. Those that didn't could very well have seen the potential for a pokemon like Lucario, or Zoroark. We didn't - know - yet. We'd heard rumors of it being a magic user, but would it be witch, or mage? Frankly I'm of the school of thought that males can be witches and females can be mages/wizards but generally they are considered gender-exclusive.

Braixen however cemented the (most likely) majority view of Fennekin being the most feminine of the starters, and only helped perpetuate this (I'm going to say) stereotype; Braixen looked very feminine, to the surprise of a few, which began the divide of the evolutionary line. Braixen looked like a witch, not a mage.

If you liked Braixen, chances were you were looking for a feminine pokemon similar to Ninetales. If you were looking for something like Lucario or Zoroark, it seemed that wasn't going to be what you were getting. Braixen looked feminine, it looked like it would be more remeniscent of Ninetales, it looked like it was going the route of a witch. The majority of Fennekin lovers wanted that, and the minority started to drop out when they saw Braixen, leaving that majority to wonder and speculate as to how that witch-motif would manifest.

Well now we know, and the reality is Delphox is quite simply a mage, and not a witch. The robes, the shapes (angles in leu of curves), everything makes it out to be not what the people who remained on team fennekin expected, or worse, wanted. We got a Gandolf or Dumbledore and not a Hermionie, Piper, Baba Yaga, Maleficent or what have you.

The most intriguing thing about all of this is many people who were not on the Fennekin bandwagon actually admire Delphox. The people who didn't want a feminine/witch fox pokemon are now looking at those more masculine looking, mage/wizard gandolf/dumbledore robes and reacting positively.

I've recently read some people talking about this very idea and I think that only helps my theory. I do not think there is anything wrong with Delphox at all, but it is not at all what people had come to expect as I stated, and it most definitely is not what many people who remained on the foxfamily bandwagon wanted.

Keep in mind everyone has different tastes, and everyone expected different things, which is fine. I'm just saying what I have seen on the forums has lead me to believe this is why there is such a divide. Myself personally? I am warming up to it, and honestly I think it's not as a bad as people initially are reacting (particularly those who were looking for something more graceful). I think Delphox will find a place in many peoples hearts, whether you expected it to, or not.

storm12

Weather Bearer
That smile is the creepiest thing EVER-Looks like the annoying orange,had a real mouth super imposed on it

This vid actually looks suspicious to me.. for reasons like that... something not quite 'polished'

Status
Not open for further replies.