• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Speculation/Discussion Thread

Which starter would you use?

• Chespin

Votes: 845 26.8%
  • Fennekin

Votes: 1,329 42.2%
  • Froakie

Votes: 849 27.0%
  • NONE, Dunsparce looks better

Votes: 127 4.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dang, It does look shopped

The coloring is a lot better

The only reason I wish it wasn't shopped. I don't mind the long limbs, personally.

Out of all the Kalos final starter evolutions, my favorite would have to be Greninja right now. Chesnaught is slowly gaining that spot though.

Last edited:

xmikeyxlikesitx

Pokémon Coordinator
Honestly, when they first came out, the only starter I didn't care for was Froakie.
At that point, I decided to go with Chespin, as the other two really didn't stand out.

Once we got to mid evolutions, Braixen's blatantly feminine design turned me off, and while I thought Quilladin's design was a bit dumb, it was pretty entertaining and I didn't mind. I realize that chestnuts...open up after a while, so I felt like its design would do the same (it does, obviously) leading me to still keep it in mind.

But Frogadier was a pleasant surprise. The sleek, fast look is ironically how I like to play any other game (Ven from Kingdom Hearts, a rogue/archer in fantasy games, sniper/assassin in shooters), but I have had a history of liking bulky starters: Venusaur, Feraligatr, Swampert, Torterra, Emboar.

Now that we got to the final evolutions, I am actually very torn!

I like Chesnaught's design, but I feel like the coloring looks weird. I also don't like how the typing trio of Fighting/Psychic/Dark doesn't balance them out, like we were originally lead to believe (but then again, there was a type switch/mistake in info.)

I am a HUGE Dark-type lover, and Greninja's design is a pleasant surprise once again. I don't understand all the hate on the tongue design. People keep saying it's "digusting," but I have NO IDEA how a frog using its tongue is disgusting. The neck scarf is the most creative design on a Pokémon in a VERY LONG WHILE. And it actually looks cool.

Now...Delphox. The design is okay. The typing is very interesting, but other than that...I find its whole thing to be a bit lackluster. I'm just not impressed. Oh well.

That being said, I will have to find out if you really get Shauna's starter at the end of the game. If so, I will choose Chespin, but if not, I will be very happy with Froakie!

Icon Zeph

I actually think Chesnaught is pretty cool. I have posted something about this before but after seeing his evolution I am almost positive this thing is going to get Shell Smash. His big shell looks like it could potentially be taken off and I can totally envision him in the anime using Shell Smash to speed up and go on the offensive. When you imagine Chesnaught taking off his shell it's much easier to envision him as a fighting type. So many Japanese martial artists in pop culture have been shown to take heavy pieces of equipment off to show their true fighting potential and I think Chesnaught may have been inspired by this.

Seeing as all 3 of the starters get signature moves it is apparent to me that Gamefreak is trying to be extra creative with them and I'm more than willing to wager there is more to these designs than these screenshots let on.

Last edited:

Cross_Thunder_Zekrom

Funny enough Even though chesnaught's Typing differ from Ground and rock moves it learned but the form definitely looks like it can use Rollout or even Dig and Earthquake. I'm guessing that while in the 3rd form, it probably will learn Arm Hammer or Wood Hammer. Originally I did want Greninja to be physical attacker in getting a new powerful Physical Water attack but I'll leave that to other physical water pokemons. Though I hope Feraligatr will get a new Physical water move in its move pool.

Kaasuti

MegaKaasutizard
i'm PRETTY sure it's not a tongue, but a scarf.

Dayumm, I HATED greninja but now I'm starting to love him <3

Chesnaught looks like a Digimon. :x and It's a shame that the beautiful Braixen evolves into that ugly Delphox.
But I think I'll change my mind about those two and will actually accept them eventually, like I did with Greninja.

I agree with your theory that it's a scarf and not his tounge. Even Lickitung doesn't have his tounge stuck out 24/7.

GerudoPrince

Desert Glider
I agree with your theory that it's a scarf and not his tounge. Even Lickitung doesn't have his tounge stuck out 24/7.

I think it's been confirmed that it's his tongue though, based on Pokemon Amie footage.

Russell-Bowman

Chestnaught is the one I like the most, although I do agree with what others have said, it does look like a Digimon. And I know that's a cliché argument that everyone throws around whenever a new Pokemon is announced, but it actually does apply to Chestnaught. All it's missing are some BDSM-looking belts along its arms and legs and the Crest of Reliability painted on its shell. Nevertheless, it still looks awesome and I look forward to using it.

I don't particularly like Greninja, mostly because the giant tongue wrapped around its neck is a bit silly-looking. Plus the pink doesn't really go with the dark blue in my opinion. I think it would probably look better if they kept Froakie and Frogadier's bubbles.

Delphox was more or less what I was expecting for Braixen's evolution, and I like that it's Fire/Psychic rather than Fire/Fighting, but I still don't think I'll actually use it.

Last edited:

Cross_Thunder_Zekrom

Damn All i need is the Sugimori arts of those starters so i can slap them onto my Sig already! (I'm calm... ^_^)

Kaasuti

MegaKaasutizard
Damn All i need is the Sugimori arts of those starters so i can slap them onto my Sig already! (I'm calm... ^_^)

I reserve the judgement of all but Delphox being ugly until i see the official artwork.

Sarefan

Hylden General.
Anyone got pictures of the starters? Don't want to scroll through all the pages >.>

WNDR

Need the official art to make my decision I'm 60/40, Froakie/Chespin. Need more fan art to make this choice.

Thought you guys might appreciate this,
http://i.imgur.com/7SuMbOc.jpg
List of weaknesses for the starters in nice organised table.

Last edited:

adamfitz

poké-lover
I'm not understanding the hate for the starter evolutions

Greninja, is cute and deadly! I LOVE IT!
Dylphox, its gender neutral and has that elemental witch feel I think its awesome
Chestnaught, omg! Quillan did pull a pupitar on us, that's bad*****!

Rinni

Hero of the Storm
such small details but make huge difference. i wish chesnaught looked like the one on right

I did hear that it was a male / female difference but of course I doubt that would be true. I can't remember where I read it and I took it with a grain of salt to be honest.

I'm a little torn to which starter I'll choose. I am getting both versions so I know one will be one choice and the other. I don't wish to use Chespin. I just don't like the look of any of it's evolutions personally. I'm a little downhearted that Fennekin wasn't on all fours for the duration of the stage 1 and 2 evolutions. Even though, the final evolution is kinda awesome looking. I think for my main game, my starter will end up being Froakie. I didn't go so much on him at the beginning and was a Fennekin Fan but now that I've seen both stages of evolution I love it even more. Plus I kind of need to weed out my over use of fire types. I know I wont be able to resist Charmander and the likelihood of obtaining a Houndour. :D

We'll have to see in 9 days. Too excited for words.

TheFairyQueen

Top Coordinator
It has happened once more i can't decide between Ancient Egyption Ruler Chespin or High Priestess Fennekin it's just too close to call. I love Froakies first two forms more than fennekin's but I like Fennekin's final more than Chespin's. God why is this soooo hard

Fayh

I would love Chestnaught so much if it had a brown shell and no silly eggshell on its head.
It would be so cute if you could see its ears!

If there's anything Pokemon has taught me. . .
It's that no matter how hard you work, and how amazing your final product is.
Someone is ALWAYS going to complain.

Learn that Pokemon aren't tailor made just for you and you'll realize how amazing all three of these really are. . .

NEWS FLASH:
The world doesn't revolve around you.

adamfitz

poké-lover
It has happened once more i can't decide between Ancient Egyption Ruler Chespin or High Priestess Fennekin it's just too close to call. I love Froakies first two forms more than fennekin's but I like Fennekin's final more than Chespin's. God why is this soooo hard

I know right
Like think these are some of the best starter evolutions!
I love them all
But its cute greninja for me :D

WNDR

If there's anything Pokemon has taught me. . .
It's that no matter how hard you work, and how amazing your final product is.
Someone is ALWAYS going to complain.

Learn that Pokemon aren't tailor made just for you and you'll realize how amazing all three of these really are. . .

NEWS FLASH:
The world doesn't revolve around you.

Seen a perfect quote for this site,

Imagine a child has close to 1000 toys to play with and it throws a tantrum over the shape or colour of about 5....
The Pokemon fandom.

Status
Not open for further replies.